Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rasp

Our Home

rasp, you and ur hubby are really detailed when it comes to reno, i realise.

we are so... shoddy compared to you, haha. as usual, we have never gone to look @ the door frames and the locks on it.

picked up some tips from you... its time to open our eyes wider!

Hi Beany,

We are not really detailed people. Just happened to spot some of these. :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hihi rasp!

paiseh long time no visit ur blog, everything looking good!

ya, the protruding metal piece is normal.

but maybe i can suggest something la. remove all the pieces first

then at least the workers can sand off the rusty part n paint.

then they will look neater after u rivet them back!

more swee this way :D

Hihi Newnyew,

So far, everything is ok. Still got around 3 more weeks to go. They just started to assemble my kitchen cabinet today. hee.. uploading some pics to post later.

That's a great suggestion to sand off those parts first. We had emailed those ?? pics above to my contractor and he said will settle for us. Hb said the door guy came today to dismantle all the bedroom doors already. Think they are going to do something to the top & bottom. But I :dunno: what they are going to do. Hopefully, the end results are good. hee.. :)

Hi Rasp,

Same door as u. :P

I check with the contractor and my friend already....hmm...basically, when the contractor or ID received the doors from the supplier. There isn't a laminate on the top and bottom part. Some of our doors might need to saw off to fit the door frame...

Hmm..of course, we can request the contractor or ID to paste something over it..if u want... For me, the current flat I am staying in...the ID suggest us not to do so....as humidity and my air con unit above my door will make the laminate "dog ear" over a period of time... unless....it is not just glue but add a ABS trimming to it....hmm...but nobody do that..

For my current flat, I just paint over the top...so wiping it will not cause any danger. :)

My 2 cents.

Hehe, this is double posting by me - replied in forkie's thread.

Rasp, it didn't occur to me to check when all my doors were being installed. Just had a check and all my doors are not 'exposed' - and I think, professionally, the carpenter should not have left it exposed. I find it is just weird to leave that part not laminated.

It can be an injury hazard zone in future - say, when you are going to wipe clean the door and not using any ladder to do it. Wood splinters might get in the way.

BTW, I always enjoy reading your updates - there is always a sense of joy. Your house is looking great, Rasp.

I checked liao !

Mine same like yours too :(

the doors are bare on top.

Think i will feedback to ID at least paint or lacquer it up.

See how she will comment.

I checked liao !

Yes yes yes, Forkie you're right. 1st thing that cross my mind also at least lacquer it bah :)

Hi Rasp,

Same door as u. :P

I check with the contractor and my friend already....hmm...basically, when the contractor or ID received the doors from the supplier. There isn't a laminate on the top and bottom part. Some of our doors might need to saw off to fit the door frame...

Hmm..of course, we can request the contractor or ID to paste something over it..if u want... For me, the current flat I am staying in...the ID suggest us not to do so....as humidity and my air con unit above my door will make the laminate "dog ear" over a period of time... unless....it is not just glue but add a ABS trimming to it....hmm...but nobody do that..

For my current flat, I just paint over the top...so wiping it will not cause any danger. :)

My 2 cents.

Hi Red_devil,

Hee.. I saw from your blog too. :D

My hb was there during the installation. According to my hb, the door supplier actually come down afew days inadvance to measure the doors first and then do the sawing etc at the factory. They don't saw the doors at the customer place as its very messy and need bigger machine to do it. Thats why all the doors come with the 'right' height when delivered.

The door installer told us that the veneer piece at the front and back are also painted with several layers at the factory before bringing over. My doors are all dismantled now as they cant work on the bottom parts without taking them down. Hope the results will be ok, at least lacquer it or something. :)

I checked liao !

Hi forkie,

I see i see. Hee.. so I guess its common for those doors suppliers to leave it bare, since most owner seldom check on those parts. Do share with us on your ID's comment about this.

Yes yes yes, Forkie you're right. 1st thing that cross my mind also at least lacquer it bah :)

Hi coffee_o,

Yes, we also thought should at least lacquer those parts so that the dust/dirt cant settle 'inside' the wood. Besides that, we are also worried about the ants / other insects using those 'holes' as their expressway and the moisture issue during mopping etc. :unsure:

On a separate note, we are quite glad that our contractor is very 'steady' when we highlighted it. He called the door installer back to settle for us immediately after hb ask him about it. :thumbs up:

Hi forkie,

I see i see. Hee.. so I guess its common for those doors suppliers to leave it bare, since most owner seldom check on those parts. Do share with us on your ID's comment about this.

Hi coffee_o,

Yes, we also thought should at least lacquer those parts so that the dust/dirt cant settle 'inside' the wood. Besides that, we are also worried about the ants / other insects using those 'holes' as their expressway and the moisture issue during mopping etc. :unsure:

On a separate note, we are quite glad that our contractor is very 'steady' when we highlighted it. He called the door installer back to settle for us immediately after hb ask him about it. :thumbs up:

Yup Yup Yup should settle it b4 you guys moved in then realised else you guys will have doorless rooms le hahahahaha :P

Should at least lacquer or paint mah, dun understand why they can just pass to customer like that leh, it looks like unfinished products leh hehehehe :P

hey rasp, finally remembered to check on the top of the door... initially just felt the top of it, abit rough. took a pic of it top down with my lousy hp camera... and u r rite. it is bare @ the top.

thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention... another area for rectification this sat...

the bare top area of the door

SNC00011.jpg

hey rasp, finally remembered to check on the top of the door... initially just felt the top of it, abit rough. took a pic of it top down with my lousy hp camera... and u r rite. it is bare @ the top.

thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention... another area for rectification this sat...

the bare top area of the door

SNC00011.jpg

Good Morning Beany,

Thanks for the pic. Seems like its common for the doors to have bare tops & bottoms.. :huh:

No problem, we're glad that we have highlighted some stuffs that are useful around. Do share with us how your ID retify it. :)

Updates on Main door:

Our main door came together with the bedroom doors and was installed on the same day. Unlike the others who can install their doors at the last part of the reno, we had to install the main door first as we need to get the new gate up so as to hack off our existing entrance frame.

My hb was around to monitor the installation and he found that the new door can actually reach the water pipes behind. So hb informed the door installer to be careful with it. However, the door still knocked on the water pipes which was sort-of 'loosen', causing a minor leakage (very slow dripping kind). Hb called our contractor immediately to let him know about it and Henry told us that he will arranged someone to go down.

Hb didn't managed to see the person who was supposed to come, so he left our place after placing a pail underneath the 'dripping' pipe. We went back the next day (sat) to check on it.. expecting the pail to be filled with water. But the pail wasn't filled, infact there's only very little water in it. We guessed someone had came before us to empty the pail.

We went back on Sun again as we were concerned about the water overflowing from the pail. But same thing happen again, someone was before us and the pail was almost empty by the time we got there. Ummm.. so we didn't managed to empty the pail at all. :lol:

Anyway, the pipes have been fixed already.

Here's the pic...

Our main door before installation.

P1030214.jpg

The side view of the door before installing it to the frame... we are guessing the middle portion is the fire-rated thingy that cause the price to soar for the fire-rated doors. ;)

P1030215.jpg

During installation, the door kinda knocked into the water pipes behind...and caused the pipes to 'loosen' or something.. and there was a slight leakage.. (minor dripping kind)..

P1030231.jpg

Our new door was also slightly hurt from the knock.... though its not obvious, me still heartpain.. cause its our new door... here's the wound.... :~

Hb had told Henry about it and he will do something to it.

P1030233.jpg

Updates on Main door:

Continues from above....

Hee.. I learnt from the forum that fire-rated door will come with some markings etc. So we were looking around the door for it on Sat. And we saw something stating the serial number, company name & model etc at the corner of the door. Very well-hidden that most people won't notice it at all. Hee.. which was good as the door will look ugly if this is at somewhere obvious.

Here's the pic....

We guessed this should be the 'certification paper' for our fire-rated main door. There's one on the frame too, so we are thinking..... maybe the frame is fire-rated too? :lol:

P1030296.jpg

Ok... the completed look of our main door....... :D

Viewing from inside the house.

P1030263.jpg

And from the outside..

P1030229.jpg

Updates on WIW:

The partition wall for my pole system have been installed last Friday. We outsourced this portion as we have previously bought the pole system and the poles needed some simple modification to 'recycle' them. So we went back to the same place to do the modification, add-ons as well as installation.

These pics are taken by hb who was there to monitor the installation. :D

Here's the pics!

The worker installing the structure first before putting the boards on. We wanted the partition to flush with the beam on top from the front, so the worker was careful with his measurement.

P1030192.jpg

According to hb, these are the row of 'bullets' that was used to secure those metal for the partition.

P1030201.jpg

P1030203.jpg

This is the gun that the worker used to 'fire' into the walls/ceiling. Can see the inserted row of 'bullets' insert sticking out from the top.

P1030207.jpg

The bullet will look like this after its 'fired' onto the walls.

P1030204.jpg

Updates on WIW:

Continue from above....

These are the frames that the worker 'fired' the bullets to secure those metal stuff to the wall. The purpose is to provide greater support to the glysum board which will be used as the frame for the doors.

The right side of the frame had a small beam which is just above the bathroom entrance. This small beam will probably be hidden away after the doors are up. :)

P1030205.jpg

The left side of the frame also had a beam on top which is much bigger. The partition wall will try to flush with the beam from above and hide the beam away from the mbr view. :D

P1030206.jpg

Hb said they used those gadgets with laser to ensure that the lines are straight and measurement accurately taken.

P1030212-1.jpg

Here's the top part.

P1030211.jpg