Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rasp

Our Home

Updates on Polishing (areas beneath carpentry):

Continue from above...

As shown in the pic, there are 2 colour for the marble at this area of my mbr. The darker ones are those newly tiled ones after we hacked the wall at this area, so the worker need to level the new marble to those of my old ones (at both ends as the wiw area also had old marbles). Hb said he was sweating all the way while polishing it and spend quite some time to do the leveling. ;)

P1030310.jpg

Alot of white powdery stuff from the leveling of the marble. :o

P1030312.jpg

Think really alot of work, as the worker still took out his mini machine for the edges.

P1030317.jpg

After which, the worker continue with the usual polishing.

P1030320.jpg

P1030322.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Updates on Polishing (areas beneath carpentry):

Continue from above...

After all the hardwork, here's the polished area in my mbr. Hee.. can see that they leave the other side of room untouched. That area will only be polished after carpentry are installed. Hb said the polished floor seems to be very clean after all the water etc. He even took off his shoe to walk on it. Both of us are thinking.. maybe don't need to clean too much after the final polishing cause the worker had 'mop' for us already. :lol:

P1030331.jpg

And this is at the tv console area. :D

P1030334.jpg

Edited by Rasp

Hi Rasp,

Same door as u. :P

I check with the contractor and my friend already....hmm...basically, when the contractor or ID received the doors from the supplier. There isn't a laminate on the top and bottom part. Some of our doors might need to saw off to fit the door frame...

Hmm..of course, we can request the contractor or ID to paste something over it..if u want... For me, the current flat I am staying in...the ID suggest us not to do so....as humidity and my air con unit above my door will make the laminate "dog ear" over a period of time... unless....it is not just glue but add a ABS trimming to it....hmm...but nobody do that..

For my current flat, I just paint over the top...so wiping it will not cause any danger. :)

My 2 cents.

The new doors that came with my new HDB flat also has the top and bottom in a raw form. What I did was to vanish it with Nippon Paint Timberlac to give it a layer of protection against water and wood rot etc.

The new doors that came with my new HDB flat also has the top and bottom in a raw form. What I did was to vanish it with Nippon Paint Timberlac to give it a layer of protection against water and wood rot etc.

Hi Tuababy,

Thanks for the tip on the vanish for additional protection. :)

we shall do the same ;)

but question fm us... how did u manage to paint the bottom? did ur contractor do it for u?

P1030334.jpg

rasp, ur marble polishing looks really good :good:

its really great that ur contractor took the trouble to plan the schedule well and take proper care of the areas which are not due for polishing yet.

Hi Tuababy,

Thanks for the tip on the vanish for additional protection. :)

Welcome Rasp! I've been following your blog. It's very exciting and interesting reading it, with all the photos and desription. Keep it going! :D

we shall do the same ;)

but question fm us... how did u manage to paint the bottom? did ur contractor do it for u?

Haha, unfortunately I only managed to do it for my master bedroom door and the 2 toilet doors for the bottom part. :)

Haha, unfortunately I only managed to do it for my master bedroom door and the 2 toilet doors for the bottom part. :)

haha, thanks for that tip; we shall buy a small can from homefix; see whether the hubby or the wife wanna try painting... and be accused of dripping paint on the floor if any spills, kek. :paint:

Hi Red_devil,

Hee.. I saw from your blog too. :D

My hb was there during the installation. According to my hb, the door supplier actually come down afew days inadvance to measure the doors first and then do the sawing etc at the factory. They don't saw the doors at the customer place as its very messy and need bigger machine to do it. Thats why all the doors come with the 'right' height when delivered.

The door installer told us that the veneer piece at the front and back are also painted with several layers at the factory before bringing over. My doors are all dismantled now as they cant work on the bottom parts without taking them down. Hope the results will be ok, at least lacquer it or something. :)

I almost miss out this entry.. thank thank... Hmm...I must check my doors again whether i can accept it a not.

Updates on the Pole System:

Our pole system was finally installed last week. We went to several places to source for the quotes and realised that its better to go back to our original seller. Hee.. cause its more cost-effective, efficient and flexible with our request on modifications. We did consider building a real carpentry wardrobe as the costs are quite comparative between the two. End up, we still go for the pole system as we were concerned about the moisture from the mbr bathroom.

Previously we had an open-concept system for our poles, meaning no door. And we noticed that its quite dusty for the inside, e.g. for those shirts that Hb seldom wear, the dust actually settle down at the shoulder area and over time, it got quite dirty though the shirt wasn't wore. ;) So this time round, we decided to go for the doors.

We didnt gave much thoughts to this initially and just drew 3 panels for the doors during the initial discussion. We later noticed that the 3 panels might not be user-friendly as only 1 panel can be open each time and I didn't like this limitation. So we changed our requirements to be 4 door panels so that at least 2 panels can be open each time. When we later go back to our original seller to change the quote to be a 4 panel doors, the nice lady asked us the reason for the change. And we later work out that we can actually install three panels on 3 tracks. This is a much better option as we can access to more areas at the same time. The downside of this is.... the frame will be bigger as it need to take in 1 more additional track. We are ok with it as our pole system area is quite 'deep'.

We also checked with the installer on the pricing to install additional soft-closing for the doors. But we didnt went for it as we don't know whether its lasting or necessary. A few days later, the installer gave us a surprise. He told hb that they will provide the soft-closing for all the 3 doors f.o.c. . Its really a surprise for us as we didnt even ask from him and he gave us on his own initiative. What a pleasant surprise. :lol:

Here's the pic~~ :D

These are the tracks... at the top.

P1030514.jpg

Here's the bottom tracks. Quite flat so no issue to step on them when we want to take out clothes.

P1030513.jpg

These are the f.o.c. soft-closing for the doors. Really love playing with them. :D

P1030524.jpg

Here's the doors...

View from the mbr side

P1030520.jpg

View from the mbr bathroom

P1030523.jpg

Continue from above..

Hee.. we are doing an all-hanging bar wardrobe, so nothing interesting for the insides. Just two rows of hanging bars for each columns and a shelving for the top section to keep bigger stuff. hee.. quite excited with the space. :)

Here's the pics~

From the mbr view

P1030517.jpg

From the bathroom view

P1030597.jpg

We recycled our flap-out mirror. Hee.. just fold it out when we need to use it. Very convenient to use it. We got another full length mirror inside the mini carpentry wardrobe. Hee.. managed to hide all my mirrors away. :D

P1030598.jpg

P1030599.jpg

This is the gap inbetween the insides and the door. We can stand inside it with the door closed behind us. Hee.. but too squeezy if we want to change our clothes inside. :lol:

P1030531.jpg

Continue from above..

While planning the pole system, we can choose to either flush the doors with the bathroom's entrance or to do just the minimum depth required for a wardrobe (meaning around 60cm). But we thought it will look nicer to flush with the bathroom's entrance. Those electrical switches for the bathroom lights, storage heater etc, was also one of our considerations during the planning. We'll have to think of a nice place to house the switches as they will really 'stand-out' if they are placed along the passageway. :huh:

In the end, we planned those switches to be behind the doors and can only be access by opening the last door. Hee.. by doing so, think we also achieve a neater look for the passage way. :lol:

Here's the wires for our bathroom switches that are not install yet. We'll need to open the last door to reach them.

P1030528.jpg

Closing the door next to the bathroom will hide the switches from outside.

P1030529.jpg

The left side of the wardrobe was used to hide a beam on top. So there are actually some spaces at that side. Initially we thought might be a wasted space as it seems difficult to reach during our planning. Now seeing the real thing seems like not bad. Hee.. maybe can be use to hide the ironing board etc.. :D

P1030535.jpg

P1030604.jpg

P1030604.jpg

A well thought-off idea of a WIW, Rasp :bow::good:

It can also be a simple storage for the big big travelling luggages.

Hehe, I like the idea of 'hiding' away ironing board at that corner. Perhaps, get your carpenter guy to drill a hook [big enough] to hang the board at that corner.

Good job done, Rasp.

Rasp..

your wardrobe is looking good! looks verrry spacious.. :P

btw, the wardrobe doors, are they tempered glass on a wood backing? Roughly how many ft or metres issit for each door? Is it heavy when you move the door?