Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Laminated Floor Vs Homogenous Tiles

Hi All,

Am currently using Supreme laminate and while the look and feel is nice, it sounds very hollow when you walk on it. Worse if you drop stuff like aircon remote, etc and the sound can be quite loud due to the 'hollowness'.... But this was done 5 years ago and like to check if the newer laminates are much better in terms of the hollow sound and does it feel 'solid' when walking it.

If its still almost the same, I may get timber flooring in the end but still prefer laminate for ease of maintainence. Please advise,thanks.

Mine was done last yr... Initially was quite hollow but it settled down after a while... now, only hardly walk area still has cracking sound on & off, but common area is nearly noiseless & the feel is pretty solid... if you stay near TPY, you can come over to my place to have a walk :D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Mine was done last yr... Initially was quite hollow but it settled down after a while... now, only hardly walk area still has cracking sound on & off, but common area is nearly noiseless & the feel is pretty solid... if you stay near TPY, you can come over to my place to have a walk :D

Thanks for your generous offer :D Don't want to impose on you and I'll probably drop by one of the Home exhibitions to test and get some quotes too.

Cheers.

My lamination had a layer of silencer before they lay the lamination!

so it wont have the hollow feels!

:D

remember to ask the range of the lamination they are using!

AC 1-AC5

AC5 is the best direct from germany.(but very costly!!!)

AC4 from Malaysia!(the best choice!because the wood from msia match our humid weather all year round!)

AC1-AC3 from china!(cheap but might pop up due to contraction after 1 year...

because the wood from china adapt to 4 season weather,they are not quite suitable for singapore weather) ;)

Hi

AC1-AC3 from china will pop due to expansion and also because the amount of glue was not enough.

Regards.

anyone had problem with termites invasion on their laminated flooring?

My lamination had a layer of silencer before they lay the lamination!

so it wont have the hollow feels!

:D

remember to ask the range of the lamination they are using!

AC 1-AC5

AC5 is the best direct from germany.(but very costly!!!)

AC4 from Malaysia!(the best choice!because the wood from msia match our humid weather all year round!)

AC1-AC3 from china!(cheap but might pop up due to contraction after 1 year...

because the wood from china adapt to 4 season weather,they are not quite suitable for singapore weather) ;)

Hi Rondy,

The range standards, is it applicable for all brands of laminated flooring or the one you used (btw, which brand did you use?).

This thread has great information ... i just got my resale unit .. and seriously considering doing laminated for the whole house.

My current house is using ceramic ... but it was poorly done 10yrs again by my contractor .. sigh.

Thx .. San

my vote goes to laminated flooring too. easy on the pocket and mantainence, even if one day you encounter a big problem with it and need to change the whole floor, it doesnt invlove any hacking,dirt,sand,dust too.tiling....we never know how long tiling can last too even if it's cited to be "durable" compared to laminated flooring which are prone to water, can be lousy stock/workmanship or poor mantainence.

if budget allow, granite flooring is better then homogenous/marble.

Just to check, Beside Supreme AC5, what are other brands can we look into?

Does Pergo Malaysian range cost about the same?

I was quoted Supreme AC5 by my ID, but i was wondering what other brands are equally good?

btw, i tot AC5 is from malaysia?

Hi San, Im gonna have laminate flooring for the whole unit too, but nw im not sure which brand to choose.

Hi charemme, there are several brands on the market... common ones are supreme, kronotex & pergo... pergo m'sian AC4 is slightly more exp than supreme AC5, but worth to consider.

Supreme AC5 is from m'sia, but kronotex AC5 is from europe.

Go for pergo if you have the budget... AC5 would be the best option.

You can also try Tarkett comes in AC4 standard $5.50 for non-V-grove with V-grove (>$6.20), I chose the non-vgrove. The advantages from these boards are trees from deforestation and comes with ion formal delhyde. They have factory installation license and it's from Sweden. So far in the market only kronotex comes with AC5 standard with 12mm thickness, however it is very expensive (est $8++).

Edited by gigi.wang.87

Ic... okay i shall check with my ID on pergo and see what is the price difference.

Thanks Thanks

Hi,

Just wanted to share, I am planning to put laminated for my place .. and just got a quote for Pergo.

- Pergo Expression Soundbloc, TitanX Surface (Class 33 Usage 50 Yr Warranty)

> $7.60 p.s.f

- Pergo Practiq Soundbloc, TitanX Surface (Class 33 Usage 50 Yr Warranty)

> $6.90 p.s.f

Both range above are from Sweden and are price is before 15% discount.

- Pergo Family (Class 31 Usage 15 Yr Warranty)

> U.P. = $5.50 p.s.f ---- Now on offer = $3.99 p.s.f until 15 Jun

> This one is from M'sia and doesn't have the additional Soundbloc layer.

All pricing inclusive of installation work and skirting.

PM me if you want a copy of the quote.

Disclaimer :

I'm not promoting Pergo, just wanted to share this info. This is a direct price from

distributor so according to them would be much cheaper than going thru contractor

(this too i've yet to validate as i'm still waiting for all my quotes to come in ... :).

Yes, jus like my fren house there are gaps after a few yrs. I think ard 2 to 3yrs ba...

Hi All,

Am currently using Supreme laminate and while the look and feel is nice, it sounds very hollow when you walk on it. Worse if you drop stuff like aircon remote, etc and the sound can be quite loud due to the 'hollowness'.... But this was done 5 years ago and like to check if the newer laminates are much better in terms of the hollow sound and does it feel 'solid' when walking it.

If its still almost the same, I may get timber flooring in the end but still prefer laminate for ease of maintainence. Please advise,thanks.

FYI - The gaps between the laminate planks are due to reaction with the home's atmosphere, or the general SG weather. Laminate Flooring is made from wood and wood reacts to climate weather like metal and water. Although Laminate Flooring is partially man-made, it still consists of natural wood compound on the origins of where the laminate is being manufactured.

Laminate Flooring is 100% compressed wood fibre (eco grade) & moslty used in SG context is 8mm - 9.5mm thick ( rarely you may come across 12mm), thus the reason for some hollowness found in all brands of LF. However with a little modification of the "underlay" you can ask for "rubber" instead of the standard "foam" used in the installation process, some brands of LF comes with "built in" rubber underlay, it will vastly reduce the "hollowness" and providing a more solid feel (like a thicker LM) when walking bare foot on it. It serves 2 purpose for a simple solution.

Besides going straight to Solid / Timber Flooring, you may ask yourself if you are ready for the "maintenace" of it all, do you mind having to see "natural" scratch lines on the floor, how long do you intend to live in your home/house ? For me I love solid wood feel because they have natural wood lines and hardness is definitely there, i would even stain my solid wood to a different color tone every time when i need to re-polish them but unless I have deep pockets and I have a maid to take care of the chores for me.

Using Engineered Wood will be somewhere in between the 2 mentioned above , half man-made, half natural... cost in between too and doesn't have "gaps" after months or years. It also offers natural wood grains or "stained" versions.

I hope i cleared some air for you...

Just to check, Beside Supreme AC5, what are other brands can we look into?

Does Pergo Malaysian range cost about the same?

I was quoted Supreme AC5 by my ID, but i was wondering what other brands are equally good?

btw, i tot AC5 is from malaysia?

Hi San, Im gonna have laminate flooring for the whole unit too, but nw im not sure which brand to choose.

Hi charemme, there are several brands on the market... common ones are supreme, kronotex & pergo... pergo m'sian AC4 is slightly more exp than supreme AC5, but worth to consider.

Supreme AC5 is from m'sia, but kronotex AC5 is from europe.

Go for pergo if you have the budget... AC5 would be the best option.

I dunno if these helps, if you are shopping for LF in the high-end sector and having a delimma on quality n origins. What if you do the same when choosing between Prada Gucci or LV ??? I would go for design, style and color, what you think??