Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Laminated Floor Vs Homogenous Tiles

Strange thing with all these IDs .... i've been surveying with quite a few .... and it seems none of them understands much abt the quality issues of the products from China. All of them seems to swear by it .... the feedback i got was that no one brings in laminated flooring from anywhere else but China.

One from Darwin even mention that issues encountered are never materials related ... but rather from the maintenance by the home owner ... sighhh ... :(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Strange thing with all these IDs .... i've been surveying with quite a few .... and it seems none of them understands much abt the quality issues of the products from China. All of them seems to swear by it .... the feedback i got was that no one brings in laminated flooring from anywhere else but China.

One from Darwin even mention that issues encountered are never materials related ... but rather from the maintenance by the home owner ... sighhh ... :(

LF comes from CH MY SWED GER in SG context, maybe you can check out with the sales.

LF brought into SG will wear a certain quality level, ask for test reports if you are not sure, the respective LF co. will be able to produce, in these case home owner's maintenance also play apart in keeping the floor in good condition.

Guest poetsdesign
Hi

What would be your choice?

What are the pros and cons?

Is supreme very good that its probably comparable to using tiles?

If you have enough budget lets take Homo tiles

It looks very nice

:D

Hi,

I currently have vinyl tiles in my house. More than 20 years already so it really needs to be changed.

My family does not want to splurge too much on flooring since we may not be staying for more than 10 years in this flat. Hence I felt laminated flooringwas quite a good option but I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me answer.

Will my vinyl tiles require hacking or can it simply overlay? We dont want to move out just because of the flooring. Also, do most of you engage a contractor to do it for you? I know the brands have their individual websites..

Finally any one with prior experience with laminate flooring who wishes to share his conactor or quote would be great.

Hope to get some response!

Reena

Hi,

I currently have vinyl tiles in my house. More than 20 years already so it really needs to be changed.

My family does not want to splurge too much on flooring since we may not be staying for more than 10 years in this flat. Hence I felt laminated flooringwas quite a good option but I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me answer.

Will my vinyl tiles require hacking or can it simply overlay? We dont want to move out just because of the flooring. Also, do most of you engage a contractor to do it for you? I know the brands have their individual websites..

Finally any one with prior experience with laminate flooring who wishes to share his conactor or quote would be great.

Hope to get some response!

Reena

if u intend to stay close to 10years then u might want to consider doing floor tiles as opposed to laminated flooring as u really need to take good care of the floors if its done up in laminated flooring. Some IDs/contractors advised owners not to lay laminated floorings for whole house as it'll have the pop pop feel when u walk on it that's y most either do it for the bedrooms or living room.

There are many brands of laminated floorings in the market, some are cheap and some are expensive. I opted for AC 5 (manned for industrial due to the heavy traffic) from Kronotex for my 3 bedrooms at old house. Love the feel of laminated floorings but must really take good care of it. Had viewed a unit done up with laminated flooring for less than 3 years. The owners did not take good care of it and it was such a turnoff as already got big gaps and some of the top part of the laminated flooing was already worn off.

I think your vinyl tiles could just overlay with laminated floorings but contractor might want u to hack and do up cement screed first if the flooring is not even. Best is to call up the laminated flooring of your choice to give u an onsite quote.

if u intend to stay close to 10years then u might want to consider doing floor tiles as opposed to laminated flooring as u really need to take good care of the floors if its done up in laminated flooring. Some IDs/contractors advised owners not to lay laminated floorings for whole house as it'll have the pop pop feel when u walk on it that's y most either do it for the bedrooms or living room.

There are many brands of laminated floorings in the market, some are cheap and some are expensive. I opted for AC 5 (manned for industrial due to the heavy traffic) from Kronotex for my 3 bedrooms at old house. Love the feel of laminated floorings but must really take good care of it. Had viewed a unit done up with laminated flooring for less than 3 years. The owners did not take good care of it and it was such a turnoff as already got big gaps and some of the top part of the laminated flooing was already worn off.

I think your vinyl tiles could just overlay with laminated floorings but contractor might want u to hack and do up cement screed first if the flooring is not even. Best is to call up the laminated flooring of your choice to give u an onsite quote.

If you decide to live in for more than 10 years, high grade laminate floor can last you a life time too. Given its warm n cosy feel that other floor materials may not offer. Laminate is cleaner n faster to install, no hacking work required. Plus higher grade LF offers sound bloc or silencer attatched to the underlay. Tiles look glossy n chic with certain style but current designers design your house using both or more different materials, mainly to deliver a more cosy n homely feel, even high end hotels will have their recept areas marbled combined with wood or carpet to contrast both feel and not forgetting their rooms which comes fully carpeted or wooded execpt the bathrooms.

Just my observation...

I believe the hollowness of laminate floor depends on the size of the laminated room. In my current house, all the bedrooms are laminated (Supreme) and only the big master bedroom (2 room2 become 1) has the hollow feeling whereas the other rooms feel quite solid.

hi just to ride on this topic, i hv some questions abt this laminated floor;

1) has anyone done this on their kietchen floor? Can the LF last the rough environment?

2) Due to limited budget, is considering LF (buy material and DIY) vs coating (over existing tiles floor) and vs overlay another layer of tiles.

3) How about those by IKEA? ok or not?

anyone has experience to share please....

thanks so much! :bow:

1) has anyone done this on their kietchen floor? Can the LF last the rough environment?

2) Due to limited budget, is considering LF (buy material and DIY) vs coating (over existing tiles floor) and vs overlay another layer of tiles.

I don't think LF is suitable for kitchen unless your kitchen is purely for display. Else, there will inevitably be moisture (even if it is just washing of cups). Wood will expand when it is moisted and thus expand. Your LF will pop up in no time.

I would classify kitchen as a heavy duty place within a house. Thus I am willing to invest a bit more in it since any unprovision will create maintenance/functional issues in the future.

Hi, my kitchen is using LF (from Inovar Floor). It's almost a year now and it still looks great. No problem whatsoever. I believe their tropical hardwood really is water resistant. Of cos we try to wipe off the floor whenever there's water spillage.

it will be easier to use tile instead of LF. but i don think Homogenous Tiles is suitable as when it wet, it is quite slippery.

it will be easier to use tile instead of LF. but i don think Homogenous Tiles is suitable as when it wet, it is quite slippery.

thanks for all the sugegstions. I havs a small budget thus looking at alternatives

1) floor tiles coating - got the price fr a road show fr Xtoria Marketing @Geylang East Ave 3

2 toilets floors = $1100

2 toilets + kitchen = $1800

no hacking, 1 day job. No hacking

2) Possible to overlay tiles without hacking?

3) LF, buy material and DIY

It will be great if someone can share photos that LF is okay in the kitchen!

thanks again for al the info. i got from all the forumers....

thanks for all the sugegstions. I havs a small budget thus looking at alternatives

1) floor tiles coating - got the price fr a road show fr Xtoria Marketing @Geylang East Ave 3

2 toilets floors = $1100

2 toilets + kitchen = $1800

no hacking, 1 day job. No hacking

2) Possible to overlay tiles without hacking?

Yes

3) LF, buy material and DIY

It will be great if someone can share photos that LF is okay in the kitchen!

thanks again for al the info. i got from all the forumers....

U may also try using vinyl flooring for your kitchen.