Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Laminated Floor Vs Homogenous Tiles

Hi

What would be your choice?

What are the pros and cons?

Is supreme very good that its probably comparable to using tiles?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If you got enough budget Homogenous Tiles would be good.

For my case i choose laminated(Pergo) flooring.

PROs: No need to hack the existing tiles, Looks nice, Less expensive compare to homogenous tiles, Easy to Clean, Resist Stain

CONs: cannot mop with too much water.

Homogenous tiles is more expensive, more durable. won't need to worry about sharp edges as it it could be grind.

Hi

i got both laminated flooring and homo tiles at homes... so i'm experiencing both types of floors.

lami floors are good coz its so easy to wipe.... in fact u can just use plain water and mop it. no need those detergents, coz lami floors dun get stains. and lami floors always give u the kind of warm feeling when u walk on it. u can even sleep on it without getting cold feelings.

the only thing is that u cannot use too much water. its also a good point coz u save on water usage and lesser strength to mop.

homo tiles are more troublesome coz u get stains, the grout lines will get get black, u can see water marks on the tiles if u use too much water, u can see some patch markings if your contractor doesnt know how to chemical clean it.

overall, i will prefer lami floors.

Recently we went thru this same dilema too........... we wanted Homo tiles for all floors and then Lami wood on all bedrooms cos we like the warm and cozy feelings.

But after reading some forum and blogs... some users complain that moisture makes the Lami floor pop out and this can happen if you have water on it.

So, after consideration, we decide to go for homo tiles cos we want to stay in our place for a long time......... dont want future costly problems. Plus I have 2 kids who always runs around with water bottles and they love to spill water on the floor. :) :)

Hi

If you are able to get "Pergo laminate" at the same price as "Supreme laminate" Do u still wants to use Supreme?

Edited by alan26

If you are able to get "Pergo laminate" at the same price as "Supreme laminate" Do u still wants to use Supreme?

Your qtn is similar to "if you are able to get Mercedes at the same price as Hyundai, do you still want to use Hyundai? :lol:

I read somewhere that Pergo has a series made in Malaysia which costs abt the same as Supreme, not sure how its quality is. Still better than Supreme? Or the same?

Your qtn is similar to "if you are able to get Mercedes at the same price as Hyundai, do you still want to use Hyundai? :lol:

I read somewhere that Pergo has a series made in Malaysia which costs abt the same as Supreme, not sure how its quality is. Still better than Supreme? Or the same?

I'm using that series made in malaysia. so far so good. i step on supreme flooring b4, i still prefer the stepping feeling of pergo.

I'm so far quite pleased with the service provide by pergo.

During my reno, When the pergo ppl finish installing the laminated flooring, after a few day i saw some

holes (made by fallen sharp object, probably the workers drop a screw drivers). I tell my ID and the next day

pergo ppl came and change it without further question.

i got both laminated flooring and homo tiles at homes... so i'm experiencing both types of floors.

lami floors are good coz its so easy to wipe.... in fact u can just use plain water and mop it. no need those detergents, coz lami floors dun get stains. and lami floors always give u the kind of warm feeling when u walk on it. u can even sleep on it without getting cold feelings.

the only thing is that u cannot use too much water. its also a good point coz u save on water usage and lesser strength to mop.

homo tiles are more troublesome coz u get stains, the grout lines will get get black, u can see water marks on the tiles if u use too much water, u can see some patch markings if your contractor doesnt know how to chemical clean it.

overall, i will prefer lami floors.

Hi adding in my experience with laminate (bedroom) and terracotta(living room)flooring. About 8years now.

Pros: Look nice, easy to clean, young children fall on it less damage on the child.

Cons: Can see the join lines, joints and corner also a bit pop up. Don't know whether if the laying is done properly my master bed seems to be lopsided.

Guest melancholic

My 2 cents worth...

I used laminated flooring in my previous house (stayed there for more than 5 years) - think it was from Power Dekor.

We chose laminated flooring cos:

1) Cheaper - can overlay without hacking and cheaper psf too

2) The style we wanted was Zen

3) If laid properly, the elongated strips can make your house look bigger also (but lay wrongly, can make your house look smaller also)

I guess your first decision should be which type of flooring suits your design and your lifestyle, and then your budget.

Pros of using laminated flooring:

1) Easy to maintain - don't have to mop everyday, just dust the house. If mop, just put a little detergent will do. No need to varnish (parquet), no need to polish (marble) and no need to scrub off the grout or stains (tiles)

2) Dries faster after mopping cos you're not supposed to use too much water - so also less likely to slip and fall

3) Doesn't scratch easily - note.. I didn't say won't scratch.. but unless you deliberately set out to harm our floor... hmmm

4) IF you are crazy enough to slam hard and sharp objects on the floor, the damage is also minimal compared to tiles. If still under warranty, just call the ID to get the supplier to replace the piece. If not, just get putty and patch it up if the hole is small

5) The warm feel is timeless. Made it easier to sell my house cos of the overall feel and the decor. (My buyer and all the potential buyers commented that my house is very well-maintained. heh.. cos easy to maintain mah.)

6) Fall down not that painful cos of the 'cushioned' impact

Cons

1) If you have a puppy, the corner of your skirting will be chewed up and you need to make sure you catch them peeing fast, lest it soaks into the flooring ! haha

2) i'm not sure about contraction.. but mine expanded after the 1st year and started to pop up where the living room flooring met my bedroom laminated floor. But this is a minor problem. My ID asked the supplier to come and touch it up. He only needed to cut off the expanded excess. Out of goodwill, he even changed all my chewed-up skirtings for free! After that, no more pop outs.

honestly, you should consider if it matches the style or decor you want... and whether you think you will get sick of it in the long run... Money, though important, should be the 2nd priority. You can always re-adjust your budget and some things can always get later. My floor had gone through water spillages, doggie pee and poo, dropping screw-driver, heavy objects dragged over it etc. and still my buyer/potential buyers commented that it looks well-maintained??

Oh.. considering that mine is Power Dekor.. which is not well-recommended, I think you can't do any worse with the higher-end brands.

My 2 cents worth...

I used laminated flooring in my previous house (stayed there for more than 5 years) - think it was from Power Dekor.

We chose laminated flooring cos:

1) Cheaper - can overlay without hacking and cheaper psf too

2) The style we wanted was Zen

3) If laid properly, the elongated strips can make your house look bigger also (but lay wrongly, can make your house look smaller also)

I guess your first decision should be which type of flooring suits your design and your lifestyle, and then your budget.

Pros of using laminated flooring:

1) Easy to maintain - don't have to mop everyday, just dust the house. If mop, just put a little detergent will do. No need to varnish (parquet), no need to polish (marble) and no need to scrub off the grout or stains (tiles)

2) Dries faster after mopping cos you're not supposed to use too much water - so also less likely to slip and fall

3) Doesn't scratch easily - note.. I didn't say won't scratch.. but unless you deliberately set out to harm our floor... hmmm

4) IF you are crazy enough to slam hard and sharp objects on the floor, the damage is also minimal compared to tiles. If still under warranty, just call the ID to get the supplier to replace the piece. If not, just get putty and patch it up if the hole is small

5) The warm feel is timeless. Made it easier to sell my house cos of the overall feel and the decor. (My buyer and all the potential buyers commented that my house is very well-maintained. heh.. cos easy to maintain mah.)

6) Fall down not that painful cos of the 'cushioned' impact

Cons

1) If you have a puppy, the corner of your skirting will be chewed up and you need to make sure you catch them peeing fast, lest it soaks into the flooring ! haha

2) i'm not sure about contraction.. but mine expanded after the 1st year and started to pop up where the living room flooring met my bedroom laminated floor. But this is a minor problem. My ID asked the supplier to come and touch it up. He only needed to cut off the expanded excess. Out of goodwill, he even changed all my chewed-up skirtings for free! After that, no more pop outs.

honestly, you should consider if it matches the style or decor you want... and whether you think you will get sick of it in the long run... Money, though important, should be the 2nd priority. You can always re-adjust your budget and some things can always get later. My floor had gone through water spillages, doggie pee and poo, dropping screw-driver, heavy objects dragged over it etc. and still my buyer/potential buyers commented that it looks well-maintained??

Oh.. considering that mine is Power Dekor.. which is not well-recommended, I think you can't do any worse with the higher-end brands.

thanks for the thoughtful sharing

Wa melachonlic, your laminate really been thru thick and thin with u leh. My laminate only suffer one thing less than urs and that's water spillage.

But i see quite a number of complains abt power dekor bad after sales service in SBF. (singapore brides forum)

Guest melancholic
Wa melachonlic, your laminate really been thru thick and thin with u leh. My laminate only suffer one thing less than urs and that's water spillage.

But i see quite a number of complains abt power dekor bad after sales service in SBF. (singapore brides forum)

haha.. yea.. now the floor has to go through thick and thin with another family.

well.. for after sales service.. I guess I was lucky.. or rather, I had a responsible contractor. Come to think of it, that time, Power Dekor had an office in Balestier.. just below my previous contractor's company. Maybe that's why they responded so fast and positively.

heard 1 ID telling me that over time, lami floors will "Shrink" hence u will see gaps between 2 pieces, is that true?

Yes, jus like my fren house there are gaps after a few yrs. I think ard 2 to 3yrs ba...

Hi All,

Am currently using Supreme laminate and while the look and feel is nice, it sounds very hollow when you walk on it. Worse if you drop stuff like aircon remote, etc and the sound can be quite loud due to the 'hollowness'.... But this was done 5 years ago and like to check if the newer laminates are much better in terms of the hollow sound and does it feel 'solid' when walking it.

If its still almost the same, I may get timber flooring in the end but still prefer laminate for ease of maintainence. Please advise,thanks.