Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sohck

City Living

thanks sohck.

may be buying this for mum to ease her vacuuming the whole house.

but price not cheap. have to forgo some purchases to buy this.

as for the BLUM system, i think you have to ask and top up. But some got it free as they are doing a higher reno cost from what I read. but for me, I guess the current soft closing mechanism that I read from other forum is good enough la.

Hi Guy77,

Do buy it for your mum if you could allocate the fund. That will ease her workload cleaning the floor. Roomba is quite effective picking up hair and cleaning under sofa/table/bed provided there is no obstruction.

And thanks for the clarification on the BLUM.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

ya. i show her the photo of the roomba and she was like "wat's this"

haha. gonna bring her to the showroom to take a look. my dad will definitely frown on this purchase.

Yes, that's correct. Sorry if I have mislead anybody. You only get warranty support from Singapore (distributor) if you buy it from them; otherwise, the charge per service will be [sky] high.

Sorry, what I meant was even worse :P.

I meant, if you buy from USA irobot website and ship the unit out of USA, USA side may not honor the warranty too :(

Sorry, what I meant was even worse :P.

I meant, if you buy from USA irobot website and ship the unit out of USA, USA side may not honor the warranty too :(

Oh I see - yes I read about this too. I think it is stated somewhere in the fine prints saying that warranty is only limited to North America. So I understand those guys that claimed warranty did not identify themselves as non-American. I guess they must have used vPost kind of services so as to get an American address for the shipping.

ya. i show her the photo of the roomba and she was like "wat's this"

haha. gonna bring her to the showroom to take a look. my dad will definitely frown on this purchase.

Do prepare your mum - there is some noise when using the Roomba like any vacuum cleaner. Difference is that the Roomba will run for a while (maybe 45 min to 1.5 hours depending on the size of the room you are cleaning) so the disturbance is longer than a vacuum cleaner.

I am planning to turn on the Roomba just before I leave home for work. But of course, there is this risk of the Roomba getting jammed somewhere.

Finally get to meet superstar Ah Soon yesterday.

He was around Simei area yesterday so we got to meet him at about 3pm yesterday. On first look, he isn't that old for me to call him "uncle". In fact I suspect I am in the same age group, as we have about the same amount of white hair on our head and chin.

We ran through the floor plan with our ideas fairly quickly. Ah Soon took down notes on our floor plan in Chinese. He wasn't too happy we have purchased laminate floooring directly from Supreme (saying that he could do it much cheaper) and shower screen from Sing Art (again saying that he could do it cheaper). He was also concerned that our individual purchases (without consulting the ID/contractor) would not blend into the overall design. At one stage I suspected that he was scolding us as he got a little loud.

Without even us asking, he gave us the address of two properties that he is currently renovating. One of them is at Simei while the other at Pasir Ris. This is a big contrast with an ID we are currently working with: they discouraged us when we said we wanted to view a real site. When we insisted, he tried to arrange for us to visit a flat at Jurong (we are staying at Simei currently) that he had already handed over. So we could only visit the site at a very narrow window (like Sunday afternoon).

Shortly after Ah Soon left, we made a trip to the flat at Simei to take a look at the renovation. My wife is happy with the carpentry - much better than another site we have viewed (with another ID). We will probably make another trip to Pasir Ris to look at the other unit, just to satisfy ourselves with Ah Soon's workmanship.

Ah Soon said he will give us the quotation in two or three days' time. We will patiently wait for it.

Finally get to meet superstar Ah Soon yesterday.

He was around Simei area yesterday so we got to meet him at about 3pm yesterday. On first look, he isn't that old for me to call him "uncle". In fact I suspect I am in the same age group, as we have about the same amount of white hair on our head and chin.

We ran through the floor plan with our ideas fairly quickly. Ah Soon took down notes on our floor plan in Chinese. He wasn't too happy we have purchased laminate floooring directly from Supreme (saying that he could do it much cheaper) and shower screen from Sing Art (again saying that he could do it cheaper). He was also concerned that our individual purchases (without consulting the ID/contractor) would not blend into the overall design. At one stage I suspected that he was scolding us as he got a little loud.

Without even us asking, he gave us the address of two properties that he is currently renovating. One of them is at Simei while the other at Pasir Ris. This is a big contrast with an ID we are currently working with: they discouraged us when we said we wanted to view a real site. When we insisted, he tried to arrange for us to visit a flat at Jurong (we are staying at Simei currently) that he had already handed over. So we could only visit the site at a very narrow window (like Sunday afternoon).

Shortly after Ah Soon left, we made a trip to the flat at Simei to take a look at the renovation. My wife is happy with the carpentry - much better than another site we have viewed (with another ID). We will probably make another trip to Pasir Ris to look at the other unit, just to satisfy ourselves with Ah Soon's workmanship.

Ah Soon said he will give us the quotation in two or three days' time. We will patiently wait for it.

Don't worry about Uncle giving comments about your own individual purchases. I also got my fair share when I told him I already bought PD doors for my home. He said alot of problems, etc. Better to use bi-fold, cheaper, etc... haha ... He will always share with you his views, especially when it comes to cost.

If you don't get your quote in 2-3 days time, best to call him to follow-up. If you can accept a chinese quote, it's best because he won't need to get his son, etc to translate, which will cause more delays.

Don't worry about Uncle giving comments about your own individual purchases. I also got my fair share when I told him I already bought PD doors for my home. He said alot of problems, etc. Better to use bi-fold, cheaper, etc... haha ... He will always share with you his views, especially when it comes to cost.

If you don't get your quote in 2-3 days time, best to call him to follow-up. If you can accept a chinese quote, it's best because he won't need to get his son, etc to translate, which will cause more delays.

Thanks for your advice and comment.

Yes, I am Chinese educated (anybody else from 华侨中学 here?). In order to save time maybe I will do the translation instead of bothering his son.

Uncle also told us about he growing up from a very poor family with eight siblings. His faterh would cook the rice and vegs together in a big pot. That might explain why he could do the renovation work cheaper than other people.

Yes, I am Chinese educated (anybody else from 华侨中学 here?). In order to save time maybe I will do the translation instead of bothering his son.

Me! :)

I am also chinese-educated but not from 华侨中学 :D

Gosh, how come you need reading glasses in such an early age :o

As for the BLUM system, yes, I heard that Ah Soon is using a similar brand. IKEA is also not using BLUM but something else. I heard that BLUM is pretty expensive. Well, as long as they can perform the same task, I reckon any brand will do ba...

MasterBedroom.png

Now the master bedroom:-

The master bedroom (and bedroom 3) has a ugly arc at one corner. The previous owner has put a small table there (see circle part). What we intend to do is to build a small tic-tac cabinet to cover it. That will also add some storage space. We will also be pulling down the existing cabinet, and elect one on the same side as the master toilet. We will shift the master toilet door closer to the bedroom door so that we can squeeze out a 6-ft cabinet.

Initially we wanted to do L-shape cabinet but realize that corners are counted twice. So we rather shift the toilet door and have a long cabinet instead.

I am also chinese-educated but not from 华侨中学 :D

Gosh, how come you need reading glasses in such an early age :o

As for the BLUM system, yes, I heard that Ah Soon is using a similar brand. IKEA is also not using BLUM but something else. I heard that BLUM is pretty expensive. Well, as long as they can perform the same task, I reckon any brand will do ba...

Nowadays many young people could not even speak a full sentence in Mandarin so I am always happy to meet my fellow chinese-educated friends.

I also dunno why I need reading glasses. People who are shorted-sighted should have reduced chance of needing reading glasses, but somehow I am not lucky enough. So right now I have myopia, astimatism as well as long-sighted. Maybe I will consider lasik.

Yes you are right. It need not be BLUM as long as it serves the function.

MasterBathroom.png

This is the last photo I have on the existing property - the master bedroom toilet.

Basically I like the toilet very much, from the shower screen to the basin. However, we will still be tearing down everything and redoing it. The shower screen will be replaced with a curved one that I bought from Sing Art Enterprise.