Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kewin

My Acceptable Home @ Yew Tee

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

this doesn't seem too good. Hope to see more pics and thanks for sharing the faults too. Since u have shifted in, cheer up ok? I am also curious to know the contractor.

Kewin, sorry to hear about ur experience. As shared, Uncle Ah Soon got no problem with us talking directly to the workers. In fact, me and the tilers got pretty good rapport. Everyday when I go up to the unit, they will ask me how I want to do my tiles for each area progressively. The only area they miss out asking me was the kitchen floor.

Glad to hear that the whole saga is over for you.

6 years ago, I met a horrible ID who has go HDB license.. frankly.. HDB couldn't do much for me either except recommending me a lawyer... Till today that horrible ID firm is still around and constantly participating in those Home Living fair at expo...

hi kewin, really sorry to hear abt your reno....mine was not any better. it also brought both me and wife (first time owners) alot of stress and unhappiness. my case was quite similar to yours...delay and delay, keep asking for money - even 500 also try with all kinds of stories. seldom meet me up - meet only when want money. cut alot of corners. also no hdb licence (he said he do more pte ppty). like u, when we hv paid up much more than the real works, we had no choice bt to keep hoping he wil honour his words and keep giving him chance. because one word: no choice.

there was a breaking point for me...i was away for work for 2 weeks and we agreed that during that 2 weeks he wil dutifully carry out the remaining works so that when i am back the house will be almost done. (tat wld make it 3 months since he held keys to my house). during tat time, i wil not be calling him, he jus do his part.

but in the end, i thk everyone can guess....absolutely zero works! even the note i pasted on the wall for him was still there. the house has been untouched for tat 2 weeks. at tat pt i knew its pointless to hope anything from him already, called him and told him calmly (i had once out of frustration and countless fruitless trips to my house to see nothing was done during the day, shouted at him over the phone) that i will get another contractor.

the few k extra that i paid him i treat it as a lesson learnt....few pple i spoke w told me its almost quite hard to get it back liao..

anyw the most impt lesson i learnt is not to let such nonsense affect ur relationship w ur family, wife etc....for me, i hv to admit it did affect my work abit....try to look past the reno bro...

Edited by eiffel76

Hi Kewin

so sad after reading your reno woes in your blog. Hope things work out fine with your wife and family now. Thanks for sharing the painful experience and alert the forumers here.

Jia you!

- This page is left intentonly blank -

I had updated, I will continued to updated your as I am drafting letters to HDB and others.

Feel sorry for your bad experience.

Hey, it’s over liao.. dun let it bother u that much.

Nevertheless, It’s good to warn others about wat u have been thru…

Jus my personal experience, I hand pass cash payment to my ID, twice 6900 (at coffee shop) and last payment of 3700 (at his office), hard cash, coz I’m not a cheque person.

Both times he didn’t issue receipt immediately. all I have was sms confirmation that he have received the amount in cash. Only at the last payment, receipt was issued immediately.

I collected the previous 2 receipts during my HO at his office.

I’m not encouraging anyone to do so and it’s not the correct procedure. Thinking back, it would have been better if I use cheque or fund transfer.

I have move in since yesterday. My ID called this morning, asking me to arrange a slot with him for rectify work.

He said, there must be some areas where the paints are not even, cracks on the wall, clock or painting to be hang, etc….

Or if I have any shelves to install or fix up…

He can wait 1-2 weeks or months, depending on my schedule.

All these with no extra cost…

There are still good and responsible IDs around, who can offers good workmanship, designs and ideas…

Feel sorry for your bad experience.

Hey, it’s over liao.. dun let it bother u that much.

Nevertheless, It’s good to warn others about wat u have been thru…

Jus my personal experience, I hand pass cash payment to my ID, twice 6900 (at coffee shop) and last payment of 3700 (at his office), hard cash, coz I’m not a cheque person.

Both times he didn’t issue receipt immediately. all I have was sms confirmation that he have received the amount in cash. Only at the last payment, receipt was issued immediately.

I collected the previous 2 receipts during my HO at his office.

I’m not encouraging anyone to do so and it’s not the correct procedure. Thinking back, it would have been better if I use cheque or fund transfer.

I have move in since yesterday. My ID called this morning, asking me to arrange a slot with him for rectify work.

He said, there must be some areas where the paints are not even, cracks on the wall, clock or painting to be hang, etc….

Or if I have any shelves to install or fix up…

He can wait 1-2 weeks or months, depending on my schedule.

All these with no extra cost…

There are still good and responsible IDs around, who can offers good workmanship, designs and ideas…

I just had something to ask to clear my doubts. I want to ask everybody in this forum for opinion and advice.

1) Is it wrong to casual talk with the contractor's worker? (they will kapo and ask me how much I buy the house.)

2) Does your contractor workers leave down telephone number on the wall. If yes, how will you response?

3) Does your contractor workers ever ask from you money during the casual talk?

4) Does your contractor asked from you the last payment immediately after handing over the house to you?

5) Does your contractor ask you to install toilet bowl first? I saw a lot of member install last?

6) Does your contractor tell you, he cannot get workers on site because of other works?

7) How long does your house take to paint? (My house 2 weeks, blamed me on my selection paint instead of his manpower)

8) Does your contractor keep dragging and telling you his workers cannot make it and suddenly paused your renovation for 2-3 days. (Properly he run out of cash and never paid his workers and gives all sort of excuses to cover himself)

9) Have your Contractor tell you his worker run away to Malaysia and never return his deposit and delayed the Carpentary Works? How would you response?

10) Have your Contractor ever tell you, nevermind it is alright to get work permit licence (HDB Licence) issue from his friends?

11) Have your Contractor ever tell you his workers is not available for certain installation so have to delayed? But why can't he start other works instead?

For those reply, please edit-ed your post. for my last 3 Qns.

Edited by kewin

Hi,

Feel sorry to hear abt ur experience. I can understand that how angry you are. For the last payment of my reno, my ID say, no need to be so urgent as we need to stay in the house then we will encounter problem again, so after he solve all the issue then he will collect the last payment from us. I can say, I am happy with his attitude.

Hi,

Feel sorry to hear abt ur experience. I can understand that how angry you are. For the last payment of my reno, my ID say, no need to be so urgent as we need to stay in the house then we will encounter problem again, so after he solve all the issue then he will collect the last payment from us. I can say, I am happy with his attitude.

Yes, indeed. This is supposed he should treated the Customer in this attitude. He even can say I am childish. I asked me to prepared my last payment to him several time. Had your contractor ever ask from your LAST PAYMENT immediately after they completed the renovation.

Have your Contractor's workers ever tell you the contractor never pay wages?

Have your Contractor tell you his worker run away to Malaysia and never return his deposit and delayed the Carpentary Works?

Have your Contractor ever tell you, nevermind it is alright to get work permit licence from his friends?

Have your Contractor ever told you his workers is unavailable for certain jobs? But at least they can do other jobs. As long got money, workers will appear. There is no such things as shortage of workers but other workers can do other things instead of concentrating on one job.

Note: He is viewing my post as he added me as Friends NOW.

Edited by kewin

I just had something to ask to clear my doubts. I want to ask everybody in this forum for opinion and advice.

1) Is it wrong to casual talk with the contractor's worker? (they will kapo and ask me how much I buy the house.)

2) Did your contractor workers leave down telephone number on the wall. If yes, how will you response?

3) Did your contractor workers ever ask from you money?

4) Does your contractor asked from you the last payment immediately after handing over the house to you?

5) Does your contractor ask you to install toilet bowl first? I saw a lot of member install last?

6) Does your contractor tell you, he cannot get workers?

7) How long does your house take to paint? (My house 2 weeks, blamed me on my selection paint instead of his manpower)

8) Did your contractor keep dragging and telling you his workers cannot make it and suddenly paused your renovation for 2-3 days. (Properly he run out of cash and never paid his workers and gives all sort of excuses to cover himself)

1) I thin it’s okie. I did chat with the carpentry guys. Btw, they did ask about how much I paid for the unit. And the one washing my whole house (my ID told me he’s a Malaysia India, I tot he look more like bangala :P) wahahaha…

2) Except for my ID, on one else draws my walls!!! Anyway, my ID drawn on my walls, giving instruction for wiring work.. I got a free roasted duck drumstick rice from him for that.. :P anyway I wont have call any number on the wall, even if there’s any number…

3) He-ll No. I thin the correct thin to do is to call your ID, and ask him to change this group of workers… god knows wat they will do, if they are desperate for $$

4) Well, I did make the last payment during my HO. As my parents place is just across the road, I have been goin up my unit almost everyday. My ID has rectified all the areas which I have spotted before the HO. On top of this, we are arranging another round of rectification work by the end of this month.. after u move in, u will surely see more areas to touch up… ;)

5) If I rem correctly, toilet accessories was almost the last few items to install. Oh ya, I rem liao, the last item to install was my dining light, he was worried that his worker might accidentally knock the dining light when they carry ladder around. Anyway, as long as all items are install properly and doesn’t need alteration, then it’s okie lo.

6) He-ll No! that’s he’s biz. Else y do I wan to engage him…anyway he has to complete within the agreed schedule.

7) We selected the colours 2-3 days in advance…actual painting took 2-3 days.

8) My reno was on schedule, I followed up with him on the progress, whatever he say will do, have been done correctly and timely.

Bro, maybe mine unit is not a good gauge, coz I did minimum work for my 5rm unit.

Anyway, u can drop by my simple blog…

I’ll post more pics when I receive my sofa and coffee table by end of next week.

6) He-ll No! that’s he’s biz. Else y do I wan to engage him…anyway he has to complete within the agreed schedule.

Preciously, he can come and tell me his workers run away. Did they install the toilet bowl on the last few weeks or together with the piping. Several Contractor, I enquiry say it would be properly the last week.

Edited by kewin

No, it is ok. In fact, both the tiler & painter talked to me more than their boss. They both knew how much I paid for the flat. I hardly see my contractor during reno.

2) Did your contractor workers leave down telephone number on the wall. If yes, how will you response?

No, I didn't see any tel no. on the wall. Even if there is, I will probably just brush it off my mind.

3) Did your contractor workers ever ask from you money?

No.

No, he didn't ask for the last payment till few weeks after I moved in.

My contractor didn't seek my permission when to install toilet bowl. As I didn't do any work in the toilet area, my toilet bowl was installed after it was delivered. I would say in the early stage of my reno work. But he didn't put on the bowl cover. There was once I noticed his worker failed to flush the toilet after use. I told him his workers could use my toilet but I am very particular about toilet cleaniness. I hate dirty toilet. He did something & no unflushed toilet bowl thereafter.

6) Does your contractor tell you, he cannot get workers?

No.

1-2 weeks ba.

8) Did your contractor keep dragging and telling you his workers cannot make it and suddenly paused your renovation for 2-3 days.

No.

I read and understand your anger and frustration.

What is your next step? I read in your blog that you have not pay him the last payment is it?

I had read your lengthy blog just scanning through bits and pieces. You are really had good patient waiting for your contractor to finished up your house renovation. If I were in your shoes, I would immediately take legal action against him for delaying my house renovation. I could understand is because you mention in the blog, you pay him up to ninety percent of the payment.

Personally, I feel the mistake you made is you are too trusty with your contractor. How can you pay-off until left the last ten percent when your contractor never even start your carpenter works. *cough* I wished to be your contractor, take ninety percent of your payment and say goodbye to you." All contractors would like to tell you their stories to let make you advance payment to them. Do not buy in their stories.

HDB also cannot assisted you much as your Contractor's Company or himself does not have HDB Licence. Applying for HDB licence is very simple nowsaday. If your contractor uses his friend's licence permit to apply your Work Permit, make sure all the workers is doing the hacking works belong to his friend's company not YOUR Contractor company.

You also mention that your contractor's worker left mobile/telephone number for you to contact. Did you keep their number, just-in-case if you need them to clarify they belong to which company. This might not be necessary unless you really have to resort to civil law suit.

Your kitchen cabinet had been delayed for quite sometime. I am quite surprised to hear contractor would still say their workers runaway with their deposit. If this is in my father's time, I would still believed the case. I suspected that your contractor could have been having cash flow problems and finding excuses to defend himself and created this story. Did the carpenter left you any number as you mention before your contractor workers left their number? I know it is not wise to call up to find out, but are you satisfy with his answer?

I believed your contractor could have registered another name to cover up himself. MOD, please take note of his IP address. This kind of contractor should not scot-free, as this brother had made an effort and courage to write up this.

Well.. I mention before. Your house renovation had completed. Just treat this as your learning experience ...

Cheers up...

By the way, I am very curious, the last payment that you are holding onto it is how much?

Edited by johnnyong