Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
desireeee

Are Ikea Furniture Worth It?

i saw some ikea furniutre today at ikea tampines, am very tempted to buy them..

anybody with past experience with ikea?

ive already got custom furniture from a contractor but wanna buy some individual stuffs to save some money

do comment, thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ikea furniture got 2 grades.. the cheap ones and the high end ones.

The cheaper models.. sigh.. cannot make it. shelving will warp, drawers will get stuck etc.

The higher ranges are actually quite good quality. It's better to pay for their assembly service hor.

I find their good ones are too expensive, price is comparable to going for custom made.

cheap one must choose carefully. those chip board or compress wood ones are definitely no no. Pine or solid wood ones are ok, except they usually comes raw (i.e not treated, not painted), need to ownself vanish.

their solid wood quality can also varies from time to time... look at their planks, sometimes full of wood "hearts" or sometimes have natural cracks. Need to select carefully.

i saw some ikea furniutre today at ikea tampines, am very tempted to buy them..

anybody with past experience with ikea?

ive already got custom furniture from a contractor but wanna buy some individual stuffs to save some money

do comment, thanks!

If you do not intend to use the furniture for more than 5 years, IKEA in general is okay.

I had my fair share of experience buying Ikea furnitures when I was renting an apartment. Bought the sofa, coffee table, sofa bed and some other smaller items like side table, lamp....etc.

From my experience, its ok to buy the smaller items from Ikea but I will really shun from buying their sofa, bed, wardrobe...etc. Think their stuffs r not long lasting. But then again, another man's meat is another man's poison.

I had my fair share of experience buying Ikea furnitures when I was renting an apartment. Bought the sofa, coffee table, sofa bed and some other smaller items like side table, lamp....etc.

From my experience, its ok to buy the smaller items from Ikea but I will really shun from buying their sofa, bed, wardrobe...etc. Think their stuffs r not long lasting. But then again, another man's meat is another man's poison.

thk this is the general consensus w ikea items....same for me, i shun their big items cos after adding in transport, assembly...it sometimes is no longer atractive. just to make a rant: i dun know why they hv this stupid rule of adding $20 to their $50 delivery charge if your unit is not served by a lift....i seriously dun see other companies hvg this charge....

guess they prob got a lot of feedback abt their quality & durability...u wil notice their wardrobes now come w 10yr warranty (???)... :unsure:

i think it depends on your luck. Personally i have bought a bed, side table, a bathroom mirror-cabinet from ikea and they have been in perfect condition for the past three years .

On the other hand, one of legs of a chair (that my aunt bought from ikea in less than 6 months) broke.

--------------------

antique desks

My experience with Ikea racks is that you don't over-shelf/weight it with books, etc. The wood quality is not very solid and will sag. For books, try to arrange them at both left and right. Leave the center empty if possible. I still buy Ikea products bcoz i find their design stylish.

My experience with Ikea is that you have to go to the showroom to inspect the quality. One thing I am glad is that Ikea does not "hide" or "enhance" their products. They assemble it and show you how it will look and feel like so you can "test" if their quality is up to your standard. Eg. before I buy their products, I make sure I take a look at their showroom item and see if it can withstand my "wear and tear" by doing things like opening and closing, checking the edges and joints, scratch test, etc. Some items in the catalog looks really nice and cheap, but when you inspect closer, the workmanship is not there :) So the things that I finally decide to buy will depend on the quality of it. Expensive need not mean better quality in Ikea.

So far, I am considering their FAKTUM kitchen cabinets with DOMJOS double sink and PRAGEL worktop, LILLÅNGEN vanity cabinet/mirror, BESTA tv console and ELGA wardrobes

PS. if and when the wood sags, buy new ones and replace :)

Ikea is generally what I would refer to as "disposable furniture".

The designs are fresh, furniture affordable and delivery is prompt.

I guess what I like about it is the freedom to change when the fancy strikes you.

The quality isn't bad, but it isn't superb. For their prices though, can't really complain.

Speaking from experience, their aftersales service is topnotch. Had the bottom springs of a sofa piece fall apart after 2 years, called them and they sent a carpenter within 3 working days to fix it on the spot, no questions asked. I was told that if they were really unable to fix it, they would have exchanged it.

Bear in mind this doesn't include normal wear and tear though.

If you like the Scandinavian aesthetic at affordable pricing, you can't beat Ikea.

I'm using an EXPEDIT book cabinet. This range is quite nice, I feel.

Anyone bought their rattan chairs ... quite cheap (under $50)? Dunno whether they will hold?

Anyone bought their rattan chairs ... quite cheap (under $50)? Dunno whether they will hold?

Go find out. Go to ikea and jump on them :)