Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Guest melancholic

The M Family's New Home In Seng Kang (the Rivervale)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Guest melancholic

The little 'home improvements' are carrying on in my household.

My wife and I went to Ikea last night at 10pm! after putting the boys to bed. haha.. bought a little side table for $19.90 which will be used as their little dinner table and for them to do their colouring etc. Also bought a few of those nice coloured cardboard boxes ($2.50 for pack of 2 for small boxes, and $6 for large boxes) so that our wardrobes or cupboards/shelvings can be more organised. Too bad it was a little late and it was closing... cos they are having their sale and there were a few things which we were considering getting.. like a proper study table with shelvings for the boys.

It's not often that we have such late night 'escapades'.. but I was bored and wanted to drag the weekend longer.. (dreaded going to work today.. haha)

Bro I know you overlay your kitchen with cement...

You plaster your kitchen walls and then colour it ?

my family only cook during the weekends, and main concern is if just paint over it, will have oily stain, hard to clean.

Guest melancholic
Bro I know you overlay your kitchen with cement...

You plaster your kitchen walls and then colour it ?

my family only cook during the weekends, and main concern is if just paint over it, will have oily stain, hard to clean.

hi Zio,

I actually overlayed the kitchen floor with some tiles that I'm kinda regretting now cos it doesn't feel that nice to step on. For the walls, I had them cement screed over the existing tiles and then paint over. Initially wanted to paint with weatherbond paint so its longer lasting etc., but in the end just used normal paint.

I heard that paint tends to absorb the smells of the oils.. not sure about that.. but since I have very little wall area for painting, so it's not issue for me. If you cook only during weekends, shouldn't be a problem. But I would think that tiles, a glass or stainless steel backing behind the cooking area is a must.. cos that's where the real oil stains will be.

Update on my poor TV...

Samsung agent checked the TV on Tuesday and said that the screen had cracked... (sure sign of violence on the part of my 2 boys). They'll be coming today to replace the screen. whew.. so no need to pay anything... :)

hey melancholic!! check with you, your tv still under 1 year warranty?

My eldest is 4 yr and 3 months, the younger one is 2 yr and 7 months.

Luckily (in a way), the tv is coming to 2 years old. But it cost me $2400+ at that time, and it's still not fully paid for.. (24 mth installment ending in 2-3 months time). But still heart pain lor...

I called Best Denki.. cos got the 5 year warranty. They said they'll arrange with the agent to take a look. I didn't give the full picture of what happened.. cos actually I didn't see how it happened but surmised based on circumstances. Now.. crossing fingers that the warranty can cover 'acts of mischief by little tyrants'! haha :unsure:

How old are your boys?

just saw this...me also under best...and told them just move house...when setup at my new place already like that.....haiz~~~ now my turn to be sianz...hopefully they decide to cover for me too....

Guest melancholic
just saw this...me also under best...and told them just move house...when setup at my new place already like that.....haiz~~~ now my turn to be sianz...hopefully they decide to cover for me too....

They replaced my screen yesterday... cos they needed to indent for the correct parts. Have you called Best Denki yet? They will contact the Samsung agent, who will then send someone down to look see first and go back and report. Then they'll call again to advice what's the remedy.

I'm just thankful I didn't need to pay.. cos for mine, the damage is so obviously due to mischief.

What happened to your tv? screen cracked?

They replaced my screen yesterday... cos they needed to indent for the correct parts. Have you called Best Denki yet? They will contact the Samsung agent, who will then send someone down to look see first and go back and report. Then they'll call again to advice what's the remedy.

I'm just thankful I didn't need to pay.. cos for mine, the damage is so obviously due to mischief.

What happened to your tv? screen cracked?

mine external no crack...its the inside so i'm not sure if they will replace....and mine is sony...don't know if the technician niao anot.....haiz~~~ anyway i leave it to my hubby to talk to them liao....*keeping fingers crossed*just check this morning...how long before they come back with a remedy?

Guest melancholic
mine external no crack...its the inside so i'm not sure if they will replace....and mine is sony...don't know if the technician niao anot.....haiz~~~ anyway i leave it to my hubby to talk to them liao....*keeping fingers crossed*just check this morning...how long before they come back with a remedy?

Depends on the agent woa.. I guess.

Best Denki will call the agent on the same day you report. Agent should call by the next day. Come down to your place next day or day after. If they have the parts, they should come one or two days after they visit. If not, got to wait for 3-5 days I guess. If they can't repair, then they will have to replace the set with a brand new one. value of the set is dependent on which year your warranty is in. (i.e. 2nd year of your warranty, so 80% of price of tv.)

Depends on the agent woa.. I guess.

Best Denki will call the agent on the same day you report. Agent should call by the next day. Come down to your place next day or day after. If they have the parts, they should come one or two days after they visit. If not, got to wait for 3-5 days I guess. If they can't repair, then they will have to replace the set with a brand new one. value of the set is dependent on which year your warranty is in. (i.e. 2nd year of your warranty, so 80% of price of tv.)

mel>>when you say panel crack, is it the surface or the inside?

Guest melancholic
mel>>when you say panel crack, is it the surface or the inside?

From the outside.. when u look at the surface of the screen, you can't tell that it's cracked at all. touch also cannot see.. but when u turn on the tv and press on the area where the 'crack' is supposed to be... you'll be able to see the difference in the surface.

It's not like how glass cracks ...

From the outside.. when u look at the surface of the screen, you can't tell that it's cracked at all. touch also cannot see.. but when u turn on the tv and press on the area where the 'crack' is supposed to be... you'll be able to see the difference in the surface.

It's not like how glass cracks ...

okie lor mine is the same problem and that person say i've got to pay mine....have they replaced yours? if yes, don't mind can i quote you as an example in general no details will be given.......

Edited by preciousjam

Guest melancholic
okie lor mine is the same problem and that person say i've got to pay mine....have they replaced yours? if yes, don't mind can i quote you as an example in general no details will be given.......

Hi preciousjam,

oh dear... how come like that? You're still under the 5 year warranty? Maybe you can take a look at the terms of the 5 year warranty.

Sure, you can quote my example to them.

btw, who said you had to pay? the sony agent? or Best Denki?

Maybe the thing was that you told them u just moved house... so they pounced on that and put blame on you. So better check the terms of the warranty. Unless you're still within the first year warranty by agent.. then you're at the mercy of the agent and not Best Denki.

Hi preciousjam,

oh dear... how come like that? You're still under the 5 year warranty? Maybe you can take a look at the terms of the 5 year warranty.

Sure, you can quote my example to them.

btw, who said you had to pay? the sony agent? or Best Denki?

Maybe the thing was that you told them u just moved house... so they pounced on that and put blame on you. So better check the terms of the warranty. Unless you're still within the first year warranty by agent.. then you're at the mercy of the agent and not Best Denki.

haiz~~ anyway hubby will talk to them....i just passed the first year warranty by 3 months...anyway they say will get the manager to talk to my hubby today and we'll see how it goes from there....

i also think they trying to use the moving as a reason....do you know that from yesterday till now, i'm trying to convince myself what are the advantages of not having a tv.....haiz~~~ :~:~:~

Guest melancholic
haiz~~ anyway hubby will talk to them....i just passed the first year warranty by 3 months...anyway they say will get the manager to talk to my hubby today and we'll see how it goes from there....

i also think they trying to use the moving as a reason....do you know that from yesterday till now, i'm trying to convince myself what are the advantages of not having a tv.....haiz~~~ :~:~:~

I just added to your t-blog.

anyway... to be honest... alot of advantages of not having a tv! that 5-6 days without tv was great! no bugging from the boys about watching the same dvd/vcd again and again, no fighting from them over what show to watch, time was spent on flash cards instead, or reading story books, or going down for a walk around the condo's compound, etc. (more healthy for them, rest their eyes etc.) And too much tv .. makes them hyperactive, disturbs their sleep .. especially if watch too much before going to bed.

Only ones to be really inconvenienced are my in-laws who are staying with us, cos no tv to watch.

Oh.. and no tv.. good for husband and wife also.. cos tendency of plonking down infront of the idiot box is very high.. and don't really communicate with each other.. except maybe for commenting on the stupid scenes or advertisements. Or in your case.. no tv.. maybe you can read up more cook books.. or experiment making more goodies.. :P so... not that bad right?