Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
HomeMaster

Is L-box And Light Cove A Waste Of Electricity?

For those who have installed L-box and light cove for their house,

1. Is your electricity bill high? Cos the power wattage is pretty high when you add all of them together.

2. Are u using energy saving blub or tube?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

... It depends. You must plan properly.

When I was doing my house... I really regret not doing cove/false ceiling...

My living is quite wide and big and currently I have 3 lights in my living. Each big light (there are two of them) takes 4 18-watt bulbs. And they are consolidated together. that's 8 bulbs if we turn on both at a time... That's excluding the last light. Even at such high watts, my living is still quite dim.

If you have cove and you spread out the lights, you can have a much brighter place with lesser electricity used. The key here is planning.

Although building the false ceiling/cove will add on to reno costs... but for me I calculated.. it'll be about a $200 difference... But if I did it, I'll probably save $20-$30 each month. As of now, with my hanging lights my bills are very high despite using energy saving... so can easily get back the difference in less than a year. :)

After much consideration, I have decided to drop the idea of having a L-box or light cove because:

1. It will gather dust and when strong wind blows, the whole house will be very dusty.

2. It's the best place for the insects to commit mass suicide, dun wanna climb up and clear the mess!

I think I will put in more energy-saving spot lights to brighten the place.

What do u think?

If not bright enough, can always have floor and table lamps to supplement, but you need spare power points around. :)

After much consideration, I have decided to drop the idea of having a L-box or light cove because:

1. It will gather dust and when strong wind blows, the whole house will be very dusty.

2. It's the best place for the insects to commit mass suicide, dun wanna climb up and clear the mess!

I think I will put in more energy-saving spot lights to brighten the place.

What do u think?

Most pple do up L box, their main concern is to hide away unsightly wiring for ceiling lights.

Either way ceiling lights and L box can be brightly lit which depends on the number/kind of bulbs used.

do consider more spot lights = more $

1 spotlight avge cost $30 10 = 300.

I seen friend hse have as much as 18 downlights in 1 living room.

Not really my type coz i hate cluster of downlights so close to each other. Not mentioning high costings too.

So i opt for clove lights with 6 pc 4ft T5 tube. Even though it may be a good graveyard for insects but i rather invest in a hand held vacuum and do some occasional cleaning along the lights then to have dizzling lights all over my living room

Guest poetsdesign
... It depends. You must plan properly.

When I was doing my house... I really regret not doing cove/false ceiling...

My living is quite wide and big and currently I have 3 lights in my living. Each big light (there are two of them) takes 4 18-watt bulbs. And they are consolidated together. that's 8 bulbs if we turn on both at a time... That's excluding the last light. Even at such high watts, my living is still quite dim.

If you have cove and you spread out the lights, you can have a much brighter place with lesser electricity used. The key here is planning.

Although building the false ceiling/cove will add on to reno costs... but for me I calculated.. it'll be about a $200 difference... But if I did it, I'll probably save $20-$30 each month. As of now, with my hanging lights my bills are very high despite using energy saving... so can easily get back the difference in less than a year. :)

Thanks for your sharing

I will try your method

:D

I've both L box cove light and downlights.

Err, honestly, if insect want to commit suicide, they can die anywhere :)

Furthermore, it is really out of sight, how many times will you climb up and check how many insects die there?

I stay in punggol, the wind here super strong. I've never wipe my L box yet, so far no dust from there dropping down :D

If you are afraid of electricity bill, then break the lights into sections like me.

Cove light really creates ambience, mostly, they use T5 tubes, energy saving.

BUT then, seriously speaking, so far i live here for 2 years le, I must admit I switch on my cove lighting less then 20 times :P

Mostly I use my downlights as they are brighter.

I've both L box cove light and downlights.

Err, honestly, if insect want to commit suicide, they can die anywhere :)

Furthermore, it is really out of sight, how many times will you climb up and check how many insects die there?

I stay in punggol, the wind here super strong. I've never wipe my L box yet, so far no dust from there dropping down :D

If you are afraid of electricity bill, then break the lights into sections like me.

Cove light really creates ambience, mostly, they use T5 tubes, energy saving.

BUT then, seriously speaking, so far i live here for 2 years le, I must admit I switch on my cove lighting less then 20 times :P

Mostly I use my downlights as they are brighter.

how many rooms are you staying in ?

how many downlights in your living room ?

Hi,

I' starting my home reno very soon. At first I was planning to install l-box and downllights all over my living, dining and study. But then the lighting will be more concentrated near the walls only. So I opted for false ceiling for all. I will cluster downlights between the walls and the centre so that the light will be disperse uniformly across, and I will not need much lighting to install.

For my living room I intend to use 6 x 13watt single, my dining 4 x 13watt single and my study 4 x 13watt single CFLs. My passageway will be lighted up by two 7-watt Megaman lights. Bedrooms and the others will be decided later as I will fix them myself.

We have L-box for our living and bedrooms. Dun think it will gather dust since it is sealed off (compared to cove lighting).

In fact it is good as the lighting point can be all round the room i.e. better distribution of lights.

You can also ask the electrican to have separate on/off switch for the lighting point e.g. my room has 4 on/off buttons, each controlling two lighting points at each sides of the room. Most of the time, we only on two sets of the lighting points at Study Room (nearer to the study table). In a way, we are reducing our energy consumption by half. For our MBR, we only on one set of lighting points.

L-box will free up the centre portion of the ceiling such that you may install ceiling fan - which is best in ensuring air circulation.

cove lighting is bright and soothing for the eyes... some outdoor places even use the cove light as the main source of light!

cove lighting is bright and soothing for the eyes... some outdoor places even use the cove light as the main source of light!

u also planning to use clove light as my home's main lighting leh...

Down light will be at certain section of the living room.. to brighten up the room

anyone got similar plans??? can share your comments?