Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ebe

Copper Piping Vs Stainless Piping

can someone here let me of the implications of using either type?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I ask my ID before ley..

S/S is more expensive , only diff is they are silver.. no need to paint over it

Anyone else can explain more??

before signing the contract. my id advise was to get the copper one cos over time, stainless steel will stain the water.

personally i like stainless steel cos no need to paint over the pipes.

will painting over the copper piping actually makes it ugly?

i can't seems to visualise it.

before signing the contract. my id advise was to get the copper one cos over time, stainless steel will stain the water.

personally i like stainless steel cos no need to paint over the pipes.

will painting over the copper piping actually makes it ugly?

i can't seems to visualise it.

Painting over copper piping is nice but the peeling of the paint after few years makes it ugly. My copper piping having that prob now, so for the new house we specifically want only stainless steel pipe.

Painting over copper piping is nice but the peeling of the paint after few years makes it ugly. My copper piping having that prob now, so for the new house we specifically want only stainless steel pipe.

that's what i thought too... but the piping have been installed so guess i just have to accept it, right?

or should i just ask my id to have it changed? am worried that he might ask me to top up...

Both Having their PROs & CONs.

Stainless Steel

- Over some time it would change to darker colour.

- Dun need to paint

- Not so bendable like copper one. Therefore there would be a lot of L-Joint & T-Joint in your kitchen and bathroom.

Copper

- Need to paint

- Some ppl feels that it is more lasting.

- Price is about the same as stainless steel.

- Bendable

that's what i thought too... but the piping have been installed so guess i just have to accept it, right?

or should i just ask my id to have it changed? am worried that he might ask me to top up...

Hi Ebe

maybe u want to speak to your ID? If top-up not much, may consider. But i think copper piping as lasting as stainless steel juz that i prefer the 'silver' looking pipe.

copper is more expensive then stainless steel, thats why people normally do stainless steel.

and stainless steel is easiler to maintain as its is silver in surface, meaning need not paint at all.

the properties is such that its very tough , thus harder to bent and cut compare to copper.

i am using stainless steel, no regret at all

Hi,

Just my personal opinion. Stainless steel does not stain the water. Copper pipes, if subjected to high water pressure, may develop leaks, especially at the bends and joints. Prolonged exposure to oxygen will convert it into Copper Oxide, the green substance sticking on the pipes.

I have been using stainless steel in my two previous homes without any water discolouration. Leakages are usually caused by substantial knocks to the joints, otherwise the pipes should remain in excellent condition for many many years.As to cost, my IDs charge the same price for both.

It is advisable to install water hammer arrester, an apparatus that will absorb water surge and hammering, thus reducing the possibility of leakages.

I'm using a combination of copper and stainless steel pipes. Why choose when you can have both? ;)

I'm using copper for the exposed pipes so I can paint them to blend with the walls. But I'm using stainless steel in the shower area to blend with the shower mixer.

You can see pics on my blog before you decide.

personally i prefer stainless steel too... but my id has already had the copper pipes done... so don't know if i should ask him to change... moreover, am worried that he will be pissed...

personally i prefer stainless steel too... but my id has already had the copper pipes done... so don't know if i should ask him to change... moreover, am worried that he will be pissed...

if you want to change to stainless steel, then you should insist on it. after all, you have to live with it, not your id. you shouldn't compromise on what is going to make you happy. it'll cost you more to make corrections after everything is done.

actually the copper pipes are already up like a week or two... and there are major issues over my reno... wonder if i should still ask my id to change... moreover, i think he will quote me an additional...