Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fatmian

Ikea - No Free Deliveries And Added Storage Charges

FYI, went Ikea yesterday and realise that after splurging $1,800 on furniture and furnishing, was told that deliveries must be completed with 3 working days else charges for storage (by trolley count applies) at S$5 per trolley.

WTF, really gave them a piece of my mind and also realise there were many who face the same situation and were caught offguard.

Ikea, you suck man.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
FYI, went Ikea yesterday and realise that after splurging $1,800 on furniture and furnishing, was told that deliveries must be completed with 3 working days else charges for storage (by trolley count applies) at S$5 per trolley.

WTF, really gave them a piece of my mind and also realise there were many who face the same situation and were caught offguard.

Ikea, you suck man.

I thought delivery all along hasn't been free? I'm not trying to rub salt, but shouldn't you inquire about the delivery and its charges prior to your purchase?

Ikea always justify its prices (which they claimed is cheap and good) by cutting down on other services, eg freight, flat packaging, no free deliveries, no free plastic bags, etc etc.

But kudos to them for being upfront about it; you should read all the "Why...That's Why!" boards they put around everywhere. They may be stingy on fringe services, but at least they don't hide it.

I would like to defend IKEA. The transportation is provided by an external logistics company. Charges are advertised on the big board clearly. That's why if anyone wants to buy big and bulky items, pls remember not to purchase them too early as you would have to bear in mind the tight delivery schedule that the logistics company provide (Poh Choon Logistics if I remember correctly). The savings are passed on to consumers as IKEA manufactures in bulk, and customers sell carry and install. However, there would definitely be additional charges incurred if we engage delivery and installation package. That's my personal opinion.

I support Ikea too BUT try finding that **** signage that says 3 days delivery or storage charges applies besides who ever read signboards ?

According to the poor lady who got the "hair dryer treatment" from me, it is not their company that implemented these charges but when they renewed their contract, Ikea do away with all the freebies, so no more minimum charge for free deliveries and storage charges applies.

I don't know about you guys but I kindaof feel cheated mates.

The change was implemented in October last year and I have been buying from Ikea for like nearly as long as they were in Singapore.

Edited by fatmian

I support Ikea too BUT try finding that **** signage that says 3 days delivery or storage charges applies besides who ever read signboards ?

According to the poor lady who got the "hair dryer treatment" from me, it is not their company that implemented these charges but when they renewed their contract, Ikea do away with all the freebies, so no more minimum charge for free deliveries and storage charges applies.

I don't know about you guys but I kindaof feel cheated mates.

The change was implemented in October last year and I have been buying from Ikea for like nearly as long as they were in Singapore.

Hi Fatmian,

Don't feel cheated, IKEA's whole business is about keeping costs down so that all of us can enjoy low prices.

But thanks for letting us all know about the storage charges.

The storage charges is like unforgiveable! then how now?

Why need them to store for u?

when yr place ready then go order.

The logistics company also have to pay rent.

True. I too support Ikea

No need order early from them.

Infact thats an advantage. Can always buy stuff off the shelf. Not like some others where you order and then they start sourcing from outside Singapore.

With some decent planning, you can always buy stuff when you need it from Ikea.

It is also good because you know exactly what you want. Lot of times people buy before reno completes and then later realize the furniture doesnt match/fit size.

Hmm, I remember there were storage charges long ago but that short 3 days thingy is news......as mentioned by an earlier poster, must be something new when the contract was renewed.

For the standard price items, can always plan and buy...not too sure about now, but for those areas nearby the IKEA store, their delivery time sure morning one...very fixed, cannot bargain.

I think the problem is when you spot items that have slashed prices in limited quantities (but not advertised*) or spotted something at As-Is. Definitely need to purchase then and there.......but next 3 days may not be able to have someone at home.

Footnote

----------

* Like 3 weeks ago, I spotted the Markor glass cabinets selling at half price. And left only 4 boxes at the self-service shelf. Hooted 2 boxes immediately myself. If a lady, it would have been impossible to carry.....

Wow, I didn't know about this additional storage charge after 3 days. It's definitely an inconvenience to you... and a pretty ugly surprise. How much more do you have to fork out for storage charges?

Thanks for the heads up, too.

But understandably, Ikea has always been a sort of cash-and-carry sort of place, and in fact this is one of the reasons costs are kept low - and savings are passed on to the consumer.