Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

I will pm you.

It has been good so far as she is a lady and can attend to my wife's request easily cos she is more emphatic. I cannot imagine if its a male ID handling my wife demands. haha

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Dear blueriverview,

Your statement is very true. But no matter how careful still will be " cheated" by the ID if one wants a beautiful house, unless just do a very basic one, then ID could not squeeze.

I have finalized an ID, very detail and service oriented but the price is above average, no discount at all ( a bit expensive in my eyes) which I am not very comfortable about it. Had voiced out to the ID but he simply refuse to reduce the price. Even though some work had been reduce, he didn't even reduce the price accordingly. Very "helpful' to bring us to OM to buy furniture, get this and that. So far, we spent few hundred on down light at lighting.com where he brought us to. He recommended his owners to lighting.com and OM.

I heard from a sales guy from a furniture shop that ID charges 5 to 10% commission should his customer make purchase. So just be careful unless you don't mind to pay extra.

Back to the ID, it is really good money to them as he could absurd gst but charge **** high on carpentry and other works which I am not happy about it. I told him off too but he does not care. It is up to me whether to do or not.

I have no clue where to get good and affordable ID, therefore just use his service. Even with recommended ID also problematic, dislike the service after a first discussion. Can't really communicate and no advice at all. U want to do 2 feet cabinet, he does. That is all. He won't give advise as in how to do it so that it looks good, what to watch out for ....... Simply no discussion n don't even bother owner's requirement.

Haiz, Reno = headache.

Dear blueriverview,

Your statement is very true. But no matter how careful still will be " cheated" by the ID if one wants a beautiful house, unless just do a very basic one, then ID could not squeeze.

I have finalized an ID, very detail and service oriented but the price is above average, no discount at all ( a bit expensive in my eyes) which I am not very comfortable about it. Had voiced out to the ID but he simply refuse to reduce the price. Even though some work had been reduce, he didn't even reduce the price accordingly. Very "helpful' to bring us to OM to buy furniture, get this and that. So far, we spent few hundred on down light at lighting.com where he brought us to. He recommended his owners to lighting.com and OM.

I heard from a sales guy from a furniture shop that ID charges 5 to 10% commission should his customer make purchase. So just be careful unless you don't mind to pay extra.

Back to the ID, it is really good money to them as he could absurd gst but charge **** high on carpentry and other works which I am not happy about it. I told him off too but he does not care. It is up to me whether to do or not.

I have no clue where to get good and affordable ID, therefore just use his service. Even with recommended ID also problematic, dislike the service after a first discussion. Can't really communicate and no advice at all. U want to do 2 feet cabinet, he does. That is all. He won't give advise as in how to do it so that it looks good, what to watch out for ....... Simply no discussion n don't even bother owner's requirement.

Haiz, Reno = headache.

yours sound like contractor instead.

but for me my id did give some discount and threw in some freebies.

for lightings i bought those that required ID to help install (downlight) but rest of light and fans i bought myself.

for toiletwares also i bought things which need ID help to install so the transportation and installation responsibility is with ID. those other item which doesnt need ID coordinate i install myself.

yours sound like contractor instead.

but for me my id did give some discount and threw in some freebies.

for lightings i bought those that required ID to help install (downlight) but rest of light and fans i bought myself.

for toiletwares also i bought things which need ID help to install so the transportation and installation responsibility is with ID. those other item which doesnt need ID coordinate i install myself.

Hi don't mind can you share some advice of what is the best way should us go about selecting the accessories and lightings etc?

I choose convenience rather than best price cos going for cheaper may end up more ex.

Get from ID

Downlight

Toilet items (partial)

Key is installation will involve key renovated parts. If do it via other contractor n damage renovation then got problems. My id was nice to help coordinate even though I didn't get through her.

Buy myself

Fans and fancy light.

Esay to install by 3rd party.

Hi don't mind can you share some advice of what is the best way should us go about selecting the accessories and lightings etc?

See what theme you looking at for your house and select according.

Eg, Topical theme, Wood.

contemporary, metal or black.

Soft and cozy, fabric.

Choose what you like not what the salesperson like.

Unless you have no idea, you may seek for advice and always decide yourself.

Bring your spouse, not your ID unless you need his professional advice.

Tip: if everything is round, get everything round. If everything is square, than let it be square. And last will be angle cut which is uncommon.

Agree with quite a few other people - the key is to see samples of finished work by the ID/contractor. I eliminated one of the shortlisted ones just by this - it's kinda hard for me to part with a sizeable chunk of money just based on instinct and words, even though the quote was cheaper. In this whole process, I think it's very important to focus on logic and facts. :D

Even after going with your selected ID/contractor, there's still give and take. I always find that it's like in life - you win some, you lose some. Eg. for me, even though I have to shell out a small fortune for LED lights, I tell myself at least I won't have to worry about changing the light bulbs. :notti:

So yes, there will be small hiccups/unhappiness/misunderstandings along the way, nothing and nobody's perfect. It's all a matter of how you deal with it and to make sure that whatever decisions/compromises you make on this, it is something you can live with and not something that everytime you look at it, you will be unhappy or feel regret about. :good:

Incidentally, for those who are still unsure of "hidden costs", it's not hidden costs as someone has rightly pointed out but stuff that's typically not included in your contractor/ID's quote. They are :

- Air-con

- Fan

- Electrician/wiring (including the light switches)

- Plumbing

- Sanitaryware : water heater, WC, taps etc

- Lights

- Hood/hob

So don't forget to include most of the above in your budgeting, unless your quotation comes with the items explicitly. :deal:

Good luck all !

I had a better experience.

We looked around for a long time until I met the ID that did my place. They are not cheap, just that their payment terms is very special.

10% on confirmation and balance on 99% completion. I thought for a long while, and its not that I mind paying first, just that I heard a lot of horror stories of after paying and receiving sub-standard workmanship/service.

And I was right, person with money in the pocket is the boss. And I was the 'boss' throughout the renovation, the attitude was consistent all the way till I receive my keys back. Cool!

I had a better experience.

We looked around for a long time until I met the ID that did my place. They are not cheap, just that their payment terms is very special.

10% on confirmation and balance on 99% completion. I thought for a long while, and its not that I mind paying first, just that I heard a lot of horror stories of after paying and receiving sub-standard workmanship/service.

And I was right, person with money in the pocket is the boss. And I was the 'boss' throughout the renovation, the attitude was consistent all the way till I receive my keys back. Cool!

please intro your ID to me. I am sure he is only one in this world to offer such payment terms.

Unbelievable. I hope no gimmick or self advertising here.

would like to request for your ID details too. getting keys end of the year where i think now i should start sourcing for one reliable one...

Hi all,

was recently asked to sign 2 contracts under 2 different companies to save on GST, because 1 is GST registered and 1 is not.

But both under the same group.

What do you think about this?

Is it okay to proceed with this?

Thanks

:good: