Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

What u never tell us is, in the end, do u actually pay more? Everyone knows that the lesser reno works is done, the more expensive it is. And also, the workers who do good at floor tiles, don't mean the carpenter will be good at their carpentry. So in the end, yr strategy might ended up u paying more. This kinda strategy don't 100% works, unless the designer wanna to take the risk. example, the hacking include clearing debris, as stated in my quotation. So after they hack and u not happy, the designer need to wait for u to finish complete project and keep on arrange workers to clear rubbish? So will u pay in full from the start? what if u refuse to pay the remainder at the end. The designer must be having a hard time to entertain u this kinda customer.

Actually, i think he probably pay less than the rest that got runaway id. It's wise to breakdown the confirmation to 2 parts. You then can observed the attitude of the id after work has started. Whether or not he start work on time and whether he make trips to jobsite to ensure that everything is on schedule. You can let him know that you intent to some other things but cannot confirm in the beginning. As you go along , then you add in. Good id will not charge extra by alot. ** how much is collection of haulage only? maybe just a couple hundred more, but remember your reno is in 10s of thousand* So if your id keep telling you that if you confirm later they going to charge more... i think he probably running away after you sign.

As to whether workers that do carpentry will be as good as workers that do tiles, actually if the id chose to work with workers that do good tiles, most probably he will be chose workers that do good carpentry unless he is constraint by his company policies. Even if carpentry workers are not so good, by the 2-3 wks from the start of the proj, you shld know if your id is the kind that run away from responsibility and slap you with hidden cost already.

I wonder when u eat at restaurant, start to find fault, and refuse to pay later bcas it doesn't suit yr taste. i work in service line previously, totally understand this kinda customers. Wanna reno, scared kena cheated. wanna eat fish, scared fish bone, wanna walk, scared fall down. .... speechless

You need to understand, if restaurant food is no good. We just pay <$100 and walk away. If reno contractor is no good, we loses thousands and most probably will not be able to get back because most companies are under pte ltd. You are probably one of those bad attitude id which fails to see where the consumers are coming from. We only do renovation maybe 2-3 times in our lifetime, we would not be able to know who is good and who is bad. And it's silly to assume that after meeting someone 2-3 times, we can confirm/chop that he is good and responsible. Even within the same company, there may be blacksheep. How will we know? We just got to be careful as we look for ids. To splitting the confirmed items into 2 or more parts is good.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, I have been talking to my IDs/ contractors for about a month now without confirming any. Main reason being pricing and layout and the worry that the quotes are not accurate resulting in VOs... Can I ask if it's normal, or do most people out there take lesser time to confirm?

My advise to you is that you break the quotes into 2. One part is those items that you cannot live without. And another quotation of the optional items or items that can reduce, such as feature wall.

Sign with part 1 with the cheapest id or the id you think can provide you good service. 1-2 wks after work start, then consider if you shld go with optional items. Its very difficult to tell from the initial quotation that the id is a good guy or a bastxxd that will add alot of VOs. Nobody can be sure you wont kena conn, even yourself. And as quite alot of mentioned here, cheap quote dun mean bad service, exp quote dun mean good service either. And stay away from id that keep pestering for payment/ add items. they probably out to chop ppl. Good id will give you good reasons , other than better price, why they think you need to confirm some item earlier in the quotation e.g. electricity need to confirm before tiling work can be done etc.

Edited by Jgal

Nope no gst. That's a huge hidden cost.

How to tell if there's a huge hidden cost? Do we have to ask them personally or before we sign the dotted line, There's indication that there ain't any further cost incurred?

Even if sign it would be stated that's indicative cos along the way things may change or adjust or added

Anyways why would we want to pay gst when the money is for govt. The gst can be saved for an extra shelf or coffee table.

ID dun earn from gst so doesn't make sense for them to give more discount to customer.

2-way to look at it. Normally, quotation would have cover the gst. So most company just absorb. However do note that if the company u are paying to is not gst registered, then they may br having a small turnover. That increase the chances of run away id.

Also if they ask you to pay to yyyy if your contract is with xxxx. Then u are on your own if anything happens.

Runaway ID shouldnt be associated with size of ID firm.

We also do know existence of big ID firm with many newbie ID prospecting at expo.

Experience of id as well as reputation of firm is impt

Runaway ID shouldnt be associated with size of ID firm.

We also do know existence of big ID firm with many newbie ID prospecting at expo.

Experience of id as well as reputation of firm is impt

True...just that good id would have breach the 1million mark for GST. Unless they keep opening "new company" to absorb GST, one way or another, you are paying for it.

Not that i am saying all big firms are good and all small are bad.. just an indicator if your id is not recomm. by friends or relative.

Anyway, i didnt pay GST for my renovation. However, i know they are gst-registered.

Another question I have.

I am now in my final stage of evaluating the ID to hire...

Do you get them to sketch or draw some design of the stuffs you want before you sign? Or do you only see the actual design after you sign?

I find it hard to decide base on price quotes alone. Surely the ability to design something nice must come into consideration too... and I dun see anythg on that so far from the few IDs I have met. Just some of their previous portfolio of works. I worry that after I sign, their design sucks and I can't do anythg abt it (coz I dunno **** about designing cabinets or toilets)

Any advise?

Edited by GohFamily

Another question I have.

I am now in my final stage of evaluating the ID to hire...

Do you get them to sketch or draw some design of the stuffs you want before you sign? Or do you only see the actual design after you sign?

I find it hard to decide base on price quotes alone. Surely the ability to design something nice must come into consideration too... and I dun see anythg on that so far from the few IDs I have met. Just some of their previous portfolio of works. I worry that after I sign, their design sucks and I can't do anythg abt it (coz I dunno **** about designing cabinets or toilets)

Any advise?

Do they at least provide you with a top view layout of the reno?

The IDs could open a few companies to avoid the GST charges. I am sure some of them do that... but surely IRAS will come down hard on them if found out.

Their profit margin is very high that some can even absorb the GST for you.

Do they at least provide you with a top view layout of the reno?

Oh yes top view yes. They do that. But nothing more.

Is this the norm...? Seems like it on the few IDs I met so far.

Oh yes top view yes. They do that. But nothing more.

Is this the norm...? Seems like it on the few IDs I met so far.

mine too.. but i think they dun want to "share" already.. then you sign with another. :|

did you managed to see their finished work? can design but cannot deliver also sianz.