Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

I am just starting to do my research for my 5i resale which will be getting keys in late March. Am I too late?

When I first google for contractors, i was linked to this site.. this site sure has loads of info but where am i going to start????

I chanced upon a t-blog n I thought that is really interesting so I am thinking of using this approach to get my ID:

1) Go through some t-blogs to get an idea of the design of the contractors and mainly to shortlist any ones that have gd comments and to my liking with reasonable costs cos I wanna keep my reno costs to the min.

2) invite a few contractors to view my flat after I got the keys so that i get a more accurate estimate. Thru a few experiences I have seen, many times those packaged deals are far from the real costs, the ones that i knew were almost doubled of what they was quoted in the package after the alterations etc. i do not want to waste my time getting unrealistic quotes.

What do u all think of my approach? Anything I would missed out if I do it this way? I think quite a number of people just go out and get quotes with floor plans but at this point I m undecided how much I want to do cos I dont want to end up with a massive bill.

My resale flat is a 20+ yr old flat which was pretty well maintained but still most of the things are in original condition so I will have to do a large part of it such as flooring and remove those old-fashioned tiles. I am quite in a dilemma on some stuff on how I wanna approach, hopefully can get some advice here:

1) Whether to keep the kitchen cabinets which have been changed just few years ago and was maintained pretty well but I would like to replace those old-fashioned wall tiles so I m unsure if I could still keep the cabinet. Any advice? How much does the cabinets usually costs?

2) air-con though looks old, are functioning and since we dont use much aircon, I was planning not to replace them but I m just afraid that they might look out of place after reno.

3) For flooring, is it better to get it via the contractor? What is the best and economical way to approach it?

4) Whats the best approach to work out a good reliable budget? And how do I work towards keeping the costs to the minimum? What would u think would be a realistic budget if I want to redo the whole flat?

It's really great to read all the comments and experiences...Thanks for sharing, good learning ground

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I am just starting to do my research for my 5i resale which will be getting keys in late March. Am I too late?

When I first google for contractors, i was linked to this site.. this site sure has loads of info but where am i going to start????

I chanced upon a t-blog n I thought that is really interesting so I am thinking of using this approach to get my ID:

1) Go through some t-blogs to get an idea of the design of the contractors and mainly to shortlist any ones that have gd comments and to my liking with reasonable costs cos I wanna keep my reno costs to the min.

2) invite a few contractors to view my flat after I got the keys so that i get a more accurate estimate. Thru a few experiences I have seen, many times those packaged deals are far from the real costs, the ones that i knew were almost doubled of what they was quoted in the package after the alterations etc. i do not want to waste my time getting unrealistic quotes.

What do u all think of my approach? Anything I would missed out if I do it this way? I think quite a number of people just go out and get quotes with floor plans but at this point I m undecided how much I want to do cos I dont want to end up with a massive bill.

My resale flat is a 20+ yr old flat which was pretty well maintained but still most of the things are in original condition so I will have to do a large part of it such as flooring and remove those old-fashioned tiles. I am quite in a dilemma on some stuff on how I wanna approach, hopefully can get some advice here:

1) Whether to keep the kitchen cabinets which have been changed just few years ago and was maintained pretty well but I would like to replace those old-fashioned wall tiles so I m unsure if I could still keep the cabinet. Any advice? How much does the cabinets usually costs?

2) air-con though looks old, are functioning and since we dont use much aircon, I was planning not to replace them but I m just afraid that they might look out of place after reno.

3) For flooring, is it better to get it via the contractor? What is the best and economical way to approach it?

4) Whats the best approach to work out a good reliable budget? And how do I work towards keeping the costs to the minimum? What would u think would be a realistic budget if I want to redo the whole flat?

It's really great to read all the comments and experiences...Thanks for sharing, good learning ground

key is set your own budget first. then speak to a few id to get ideas from them. they are the best ppl to talk as they have more experience. of course at the end of day their advise must make sense.

for your kitchen wall tiles, you can overlay them but this is provided your wall tiles wouldnt pop out in future. to remove wall tiles and expecting it not to damage kitchen cabinet might be a little tough.

for flooring might be better leave to your id as a lot of coordination has to be done if you wanna diy and coordinate yourself.

Hi, allow me to comment on your post.

The reason to get an ID is not only to get the design right, it also mean that you do not need to coordinate yourself in the whole process of renovation works. Trust me. Things might get very ugly when communication got out of hand.

To picking a good ID firm ensure that they live up to their reputation, just in case the ID you engage didn't live up to his or her promises, the idea of a big brother watching over you.

To change the wall tiles in the Kitchen you really need to remove the cabinet. Some might promise you that they can keep it in good condition, but beware there might be a catch in it. In my experience no ID in their right mind will promise to salvage the cabinet and found themselves in hot soup later when contractor reply with an 'Opps!'.

You might want to use spray paint on the cover over the old look. By removing the air-con from the wall also require additional cost. However it is still a lot cheaper to buy a new system.

For flooring is better to hand it over to the ID to coordinate, anything goes wrong with the work done one contractor will not blame the other for the damage and later you will have to come into the picture to settle the situation. You do pay a little more for the price but, don't forget it is the designer who chose the matching color for your home theme and is the one who is doing all the talking and coordinating. Money well spends.

As for cost, most ID will be able to help you in it, a good ID will advice what are the cheaper materials to use, and what kind of design to deploy in the current setup. For me to give you a number, you need to give more detail and what are the carpentry works you need and flooring area, any plumbing work, etc...

Without more information, it is difficult to give you a price tag.

Just had a bad experience with the ID Colin Chong @ Weiken IMM.

Avoid him at all cost, very bad service attitude, totally unprofessional & super stuck-up!

Edited by Goldie11

I will pm you.

It has been good so far as she is a lady and can attend to my wife's request easily cos she is more emphatic. I cannot imagine if its a male ID handling my wife demands. haha

hi can pm me your ID? I am also tired of searching///

getting contractor to do up your house will definitly be less costly as compare to engaging IDs.

Difference between contractor n ID i believe is

Contractor

- do what you ask for, not much advise given

- dun hv after sales serivce

- cheap

- have to coordinate the project yourself

- example if carpentry work screw up, they will just say its ur fault as they only do what they are told

(this experience is gain after my uncle engage a contractor, dunno if apply to all)

ID

- some give ridiculous pricing

- Provide u with 3d so that u can visualise the outcome

- coordinate your project

- anything wrong you can go after them

- if carpentry work screw up, they will bear all cost n redo till you satisfied

one more thing...

i realise that those thread with company names are usually those who have past clients

or existing one who are renovating with them...

treads like "ID or contractor to recommend" i suspect that there are a numbers of ID pretending

as past client and recommending their own company!

Are business that bad that u need to do this???

To those ID pretending as client, IF your track records are clean, start a tread with your company name

and ask for feedback... this way, we can better tell the reputation of the ID company

just my 2cent of thoughts

Edited by harleybrian83

can i check.. usually the 3d designs.. when will the id show us?

only after confirming that we're gonna get their services?

or

same time when the quote the prices?