Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
garion

Recommendation For A/v Receiver And 5.1 Speakers

So maybe with the same speakers, I should get a higher range of Onkyo? Or maybe your AV? ;)

For MS speakers, its a either love or hate affair. Do audition 1st.

My AV will still be under power if you decided to get the 914. If I may comment, even Mirage's

OMNI sat speakers packs more punch than the MS.

This is base on my hearing experience. It may somewhat differs from somebody else.

Cheers

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi all,

am happy to announce that i have joined the HTS club! went down to KEC yesterday to sign up

AVR - Onkyo 608

Wharfedale 10.1 front speakers x 2

Wharfedale 10.0 rear speakers x 2

Wharfedale 10 CC center speaker

Wharfedale 10 MX-SUB subwoofer

all for $2350, inclusive of cables and installations from KEC. not sure if it was worth the money, but just happy to get this sorted out (since months!) zz

i now have a problem with the 2 front speakers though - the 10.1 are too big for me to wall-mount, and my TV console doesnt have the space to put them on. Seems like i have 2 options:

1. downgrade back to 10.0

2. get floor stands for the front speakers (anywhere to get good and affordable speaker stands)

if anyone has other creative solutions to the problem do share!

hi all,

am happy to announce that i have joined the HTS club! went down to KEC yesterday to sign up

AVR - Onkyo 608

Wharfedale 10.1 front speakers x 2

Wharfedale 10.0 rear speakers x 2

Wharfedale 10 CC center speaker

Wharfedale 10 MX-SUB subwoofer

all for $2350, inclusive of cables and installations from KEC. not sure if it was worth the money, but just happy to get this sorted out (since months!) zz

i now have a problem with the 2 front speakers though - the 10.1 are too big for me to wall-mount, and my TV console doesnt have the space to put them on. Seems like i have 2 options:

1. downgrade back to 10.0

2. get floor stands for the front speakers (anywhere to get good and affordable speaker stands)

if anyone has other creative solutions to the problem do share!

Congrats on your HTS!

Mind me asking why Onkyo 608?

Also do ask KEC to calibrate your sub for you. This is a great system but if you want to enhnace it further,

1) change to a more power receiver

2) Change your 10CC center to the 10CM series

lastly, 3) Get a SVS sub

Cheers

thanks vince! am a convert thanks to your constant evangelism on the benefits of HTS...else for sure wld've gone with a soundbar :)

why i got 608 eventually boiled down to $$$. my budget was actually $2000, and i was weighing btw either the 508, 578 or 608. Alan at KEC recommended 608 due to its THX and chip upscaling capabilities. in terms of power - do you mean to say that my current 608 does not power up the speakers well enough?

also, would you recommend that i trade off my front 10.1 speakers with the center 10CM speaker? given the budget and size constraints. ideally of course, i would like to have both :)

Congrats on your HTS!

Mind me asking why Onkyo 608?

Also do ask KEC to calibrate your sub for you. This is a great system but if you want to enhnace it further,

1) change to a more power receiver

2) Change your 10CC center to the 10CM series

lastly, 3) Get a SVS sub

Cheers

thanks vince! am a convert thanks to your constant evangelism on the benefits of HTS...else for sure wld've gone with a soundbar :)

why i got 608 eventually boiled down to $$$. my budget was actually $2000, and i was weighing btw either the 508, 578 or 608. Alan at KEC recommended 608 due to its THX and chip upscaling capabilities. in terms of power - do you mean to say that my current 608 does not power up the speakers well enough?

also, would you recommend that i trade off my front 10.1 speakers with the center 10CM speaker? given the budget and size constraints. ideally of course, i would like to have both :)

CK

The 608 is quite a decent receiver. I shant "poison" you even more. Ensure there's plenty of ventilation for the receiver as it tends to get pretty hot.

As for the center speaker, do get the 10CM if your budget allows.

Btw, will you be going into bluray?

Cheers

haha thanks bro for being merciful on me :) yeah i heard abt the heat issue - shall keep it on top of my open tv console, hopefully that is sufficient.

just realized that 10CM is a humongous monster! almost double that of the CC, so i guess space constraints will kill that option off for now (until i upgrade my TV console or even better, apartment :P anyway KEC quoted that upgrade from CC to the next level CS is $60. worth considering but only if i retain my 10.1 front speakers...

yeah will be buy a bluray dvd player to match, but i may be stinging abit on that for now. looking at a few options from philips (their carnival sale this weekend)...

CK

The 608 is quite a decent receiver. I shant "poison" you even more. Ensure there's plenty of ventilation for the receiver as it tends to get pretty hot.

As for the center speaker, do get the 10CM if your budget allows.

Btw, will you be going into bluray?

Cheers

Try the Oppo if you want a BR player that is able to play all region...

rest of the BR players cant play all region?

There are BR players that:

1. Play single reg BR but can play DVD from all reg

2. Play single reg BR and DVD - eg.PS3

3. Play all reg BR and DVD - eg. oppo (BR reg has to be changed thru remote)

So far, I only know Oppo can do this...no idea on others though.

Try the Oppo if you want a BR player that is able to play all region...

I agree. get the OPPO & all your upgrading issues will be solved. So far there's no $500 range BR player that comes close to OPPO's

performance. If you want to ultimate, get the OPPO83.

Cheers

Indeed. Vincenzo, my fellow Red, thanks for sharing the tips! :good:

For this room i'm not limiting myself to music and movies on the AVR and spkrs.

Those will be left for the living room with my DefTech 800s and Velo sub.

Oh, im still undecided on the AVR to go with this! at the moment its Denon 1910. :dunno:

Gaming definitely will require plenty of bass eh? That equates getting a quality sub again. Sheesh.

May probably get a bookshelf speakers again or use stands if space is a constraint on the TV console. Am considering putting the 1910 together with the gaming rig set-up instead and pair Onkyo 707 / Yamaha RX-V665 with the DefTechs. Im so indecisive!

Budgetice: Thanks for sharing the quote dude! Will check them out soon. :)

hi all, went to KEC today and purchased a HTS for my living room.

Any advise for the following setup? Thanks

Denon AVR 1610

Scandyna Podspeaker x 4

Def Tech ProSub 800

Def Tech ProCentre 1000

Denon AVR 1610

Scandyna Podspeaker x 4

Def Tech ProSub 800

Def Tech ProCentre 1000

how much did u pay for the setup excluding the podspeaker?

heard denon manual is quite difficult to decipher, have u tried your speakers with other receivers?

Denon AVR 1610

Scandyna Podspeaker x 4

Def Tech ProSub 800

Def Tech ProCentre 1000

Why Pod Speakers? Your combi a little bit strange. You should use all DefTech speakers.

Mix & match only for sub. Get a better receiver, think Yamaha or Onkyo.

Cheers