Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
thephantom

Bachelor Pad At Kovan

Just sharing my renovation experiences for my 'new' old place...

Recently purchased a 9 year old unit at Kovan after frantically searching for a few months. Renovations started in late December 2009 and currently still in progress. As I am currently in the construction line, I am taking up the task of handling the sub-contractors on my own instead of getting a proper renovations contractor. The nature of the works are as follows:-

1. Removal of kitchen cabinet

2. Removal of master bedroom wardrobe

3. Removal of bathtub in master bath

4. Removal of timber platform in bedroom

5. Removal of existing wall/ floor tiles in kitchen, common bath and master bath

6. Removal of existing storeroom wall

7. Installation of new brickwall in kitchen

8. Application of waterproofing to wall/floor in kitchen, common bath and master bath

9. Screeding to kitchen, common bath and master bath

10. Installation of stones in kitchen, common bath and master bath

11. Installation of kitchen cabinets

12. Revarnishing of timber flooring in bedrooms

13. Installation of wardrobes in bedrooms

14. Replacement of sink and WC in bathrooms

15. Installation of shower screen in bathrooms

16. Installation of mirror in bathrooms

17. Installation of false ceiling in living/dining

18. Installation of false ceiling in master bedroom

19. Installation of TV console in living

20. Installation of shoe cabinet in living/dining

21. Installation of study table in bedroom

22. Painting to entire unit

So far, I have completed works up to item 9. Fingers crossed that renovations can complete before CNY 2010!

Some pre-renovations photos to share

entrance

entrance.jpg

living/dining

livingroom.jpg

livingroom3.jpg

livingroom2.jpg

master bedroom

masterbedroom.jpg

Edited by thephantom

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

it does look big! :D

and i dun remem any 9-yr old flats around kovan area... and i see the red blocks.. hmmm.. and u have almost full height windows in the room! condo?

Wow a nice place ...

I assume it's condo because although he's in construction line but he didn't mention HDB license nor he is a HDB contractor. :D:P

welcome to RT :D

i also hope you can do all the works, you need to pull some strings, especially the glass works and the carpentry. they seem rather tight these days.

i find it interesting that you put painting at the last stage :)

hi guys and gals,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I actually bought a 3 bedroom condo unit (1100sqf) behind Kovan Melody. I think the unit looks big due to the camera lens used. Not too big actually when you look closer at the floor plans. I really hated the current kitchen layout and decided to do away with the storeroom to make the kitchen longer. The developer didn't really think about the location of the fridge in their conceptual design.

Good practice to have the sealer and first coat of paint before the carpentry works start and final coat of paint when everything is completed. Occupational hazard i guess. haha...

It's quite tough handling the renovation works on your own as you have to deal with the neighbour complaints directly and you gotta spend your before work, during lunches and after work going back to check on the unit but i guess it is definitely worth the effort in the end.

current floor plan

currentlayout.jpg

new floor plan

newlayout.jpg

hi guys and gals,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I actually bought a 3 bedroom condo unit (1100sqf) behind Kovan Melody. I think the unit looks big due to the camera lens used. Not too big actually when you look closer at the floor plans. I really hated the current kitchen layout and decided to do away with the storeroom to make the kitchen longer. The developer didn't really think about the location of the fridge in their conceptual design.

Good practice to have the sealer and first coat of paint before the carpentry works start and final coat of paint when everything is completed. Occupational hazard i guess. haha...

It's quite tough handling the renovation works on your own as you have to deal with the neighbour complaints directly and you gotta spend your before work, during lunches and after work going back to check on the unit but i guess it is definitely worth the effort in the end.

ya occupational hazard indeed! i am also thinking it's a good practice! should have done that... but i still have a 5L can of spare paint so... whatever :D

and yes! it is tough! i have complaints from my below neighbour and my beside neighbour. ><

i only spend lunch and after work though.. before work is rather.. crazy for me.

Happy Lunar New Year to all RT members.

Renovations are 90% completed. The outstanding works are:-

1. Kitchen solid surface top

2. Kitchen colour back glass

3. Kitchen glass sliding door

4. Storeroom sliding door

5. Mirrors in bathrooms

6. Vanity cabinets in bathrooms

7. Curtains Installation

8. Touch up painting

hi rondy, yeah come from a construction line which makes it easier to source for materials and labour. drawings were done by my draftperson based on the unit measurements.

hi garion, it is actually 400x400mm Italian compressed marble which was popular in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Basically didn't want to replace them due to cost and time.

Here are some of the current photos of the unit. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take any in progress photos to share.

Living Room

livingroom-1.jpg

livingroom3-1.jpg

livingroom2-1.jpg

Master Bedroom

masterbedroom-1.jpg

masterbedroom3-1.jpg

Edited by thephantom