Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ninja3101

Anybody House Got Do Network Or Lan Points ?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

you did it yourself? or did the electrician u engaged did it for u? my electrician told me he know nuts about patch panel

you did it yourself? or did the electrician u engaged did it for u? my electrician told me he know nuts about patch panel

Yes, bought the patch panel, cables and face plates, installed myself. :)

Had pre-arranged with the carpenter to cut out the required dimension before installing the built-in cabinet.

just ask the electrician to treat it as a "telephone cable"

telephone cabes are Cat 3 cables ... whilst network cables are Cat 5/Cat 5e/Cat 6. same concept .. ;)

i just ask the electrician to run the wires from one central location to all the various points in the apartment and to terminate it on the face plate. you may need to supply him the patch panels lor .. cables he can buy from the same location where he buys his electrical cables

I suppose your cables are not concealed ? You did your own trunking ?

I have seen those tools to terminate the wires. Is terminating the cables easy ? I havent done it myself before ...

Yes, bought the patch panel, cables and face plates, installed myself. :)

Had pre-arranged with the carpenter to cut out the required dimension before installing the built-in cabinet.

I suppose your cables are not concealed ? You did your own trunking ?

I have seen those tools to terminate the wires. Is terminating the cables easy ? I havent done it myself before ...

Cables in trunking..

Terminating with key plug (then to faceplate) takes a few practice before getting it right.

I will say Cat 5/5E is easy but not quite so for Cat6.

For Cat6 patch cord termination, still quite ok.

just ask the electrician to treat it as a "telephone cable"

telephone cabes are Cat 3 cables ... whilst network cables are Cat 5/Cat 5e/Cat 6. same concept .. ;)

i just ask the electrician to run the wires from one central location to all the various points in the apartment and to terminate it on the face plate. you may need to supply him the patch panels lor .. cables he can buy from the same location where he buys his electrical cables

Need to do testing with lan cable testers like the one below.

t3026.gif

Thus better do redundancy and run min 2 points per location in case one fails.

where can i get a 8 port cat6 patch panel? any idea the rough pricing for the item? actually i intend to just use the normal faceplates. or just connect rj45 jacks to the cable end and plug into my switch. since its all concealed in the cabinet...

where can i get a 8 port cat6 patch panel? any idea the rough pricing for the item? actually i intend to just use the normal faceplates. or just connect rj45 jacks to the cable end and plug into my switch. since its all concealed in the cabinet...

I ordered mine from monoprice

I tested the cables by doing a "ping" test and checking the response time - so far my cables are ok *cross fingers*

Need to do testing with lan cable testers like the one below.

t3026.gif

Thus better do redundancy and run min 2 points per location in case one fails.

Hi jervislim,

which switch are you using ?

i noticed for my switch, it isnt too reliable sometimes ..... after a while if there is sustained data transfer the whole day, the network hangs.

Here's how mine done.

All 12 Cat6 points terminated to patch panel located in study room.

You ordered throught their online website or through local distributor? Is there any shipping charges?

By the way, your patch panel was done up nicely, do you did the same for your Opennet?

I ordered mine from monoprice

Hi jervislim,

which switch are you using ?

i noticed for my switch, it isnt too reliable sometimes ..... after a while if there is sustained data transfer the whole day, the network hangs.

3com gigabit switch with jumbo frame support

You ordered throught their online website or through local distributor? Is there any shipping charges?

By the way, your patch panel was done up nicely, do you did the same for your Opennet?

Bought online.. Monoprice has no local distributor.

Usually the network points should terminate onto a patch panel.

And the patch cable will then connect the switch to the patch panel.

It is much neater this way especially if you have lots of network points and ease of identification of network point location on the patch panel.

Just to share, i did enquired at Choo Qiang Marketing, their one box of Cat 6 cable (300 meters) cost around $80, dun know which brand.