Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ninja3101

Anybody House Got Do Network Or Lan Points ?

I don't know where he bought it from.

4 points in the living room next to the opennet box to each room master, guest and playroom ( playroom 2x ).

He told me $200, but did not charge me at the end.

Guys

My contractor quote 120 per LAN point for CAT 6 including faceplate. Is this reasonable?

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Guys

My contractor quote 120 per LAN point for CAT 6 including faceplate. Is this reasonable?

Thanks!

Need to know:

All your LAN point go where?

a) how long wiring?

b) brands ? ( faceplate, cables )

Usually they will give you those normal or average types. If you renovation is with the same contractor you can ask for further reduction.

Guys

Thanks!

sounds expensive. does that include hacking and concealing conduit?

if just run trunking on wall, the charges mentioned by the other bros here is more reasonable.

i did my 12 LAN points at home for my 4 room. each faceplate has 2 points, cost is 25$ per faceplace. total is 150$

I provide cabling and the K.O box, contractor provide pvc trunking and labour.

Cat 6 is thicker and harder to bend than Cat5e which is sufficient to carry 1 Gbps in house but no pc/laptop today can truly transmit 1gbps. max 200-300mbps.

so cat5e is more than enough.

in future, OpenNet will install fibre in your house and Nucleus Connect will provide 1gbps to your house.

Hi everyone! Need your advice on your cabling setup as i'm doing a completely new setup. From the post above, why does one have 2 points per rm? Is it for the telephone? I heard that the normal telephone lines can be used thru cat 6 cable but that would mean changing the plug at the router end. Is there a easier way to have telephone connections other than a separate cabling cost. BTW Is it messy in the living rm where the router and cable modem is? Thanks.

Hi everyone! Need your advice on your cabling setup as i'm doing a completely new setup. From the post above, why does one have 2 points per rm? Is it for the telephone? I heard that the normal telephone lines can be used thru cat 6 cable but that would mean changing the plug at the router end. Is there a easier way to have telephone connections other than a separate cabling cost. BTW Is it messy in the living rm where the router and cable modem is? Thanks.

Points per room = depends on your requirements / needs.

For the messy cable part, can't be help unless you would like to shift all your router and modem to your store room. :yamseng:

Guys

Thanks!

It expensive. Are you able to bargain to $80 - $100 per lan point ?

Need to know:

All your LAN point go where?

a) how long wiring?

b) brands ? ( faceplate, cables )

Usually they will give you those normal or average types. If you renovation is with the same contractor you can ask for further reduction.

I think is better to put all Lan point outside or next to the TV console area and next to OpenNet Fiber Point or storeroom to hide it. But u must install the OpenNet Fiber point next to TV point and powerpoint.

The wiring will depend on your number of points needed and distance. For me I will be buying a box about 300M sharing with a fren. The remaining I can make DIY cables for connection.

U want Cat5e or Cat6 cables ?

Recommend brand for Lan cables are AMP Netconnect & Belden but more expensive

The 3M brand is also good.

Cheaper brand will be like Draka , CMM , Nelken , Niken.

If u want to know where to buy, I can PM u the shop address.

Two points per room it for redundant purpose just in case next time one point down, save the trouble to relay the cables.

LAN points can be use as telephone phone as well.

Have to put the router and cable modem near to OpenNet point.

can explain how is this done?

terminate at each room for example, but where does the other end go? :P

One end termindate at each room, and the other end goes to a patch panel/hub/switch/router.

The CAT5/5E/6/UTP cable will link from your cable modem to the patch panel/hub/switch/router acting as a up link connection.

Simple Example:

Internet -> Coaxial Cable -> Cable modem -> CAT5/5E/6/UTP cable -> Patch Panel/Hub/Switch/Router -> CAT5/5E/6/UTP cable -> RJ45 Jack in each room

Edited by Thomas

One end termindate at each room, and the other end goes to a patch panel/hub/switch/router.

The CAT5/5E/6/UTP cable will link from your cable modem to the patch panel/hub/switch/router acting as a up link connection.

Simple Example:

Internet -> Coaxial Cable -> Cable modem -> CAT5/5E/6/UTP cable -> Patch Panel/Hub/Switch/Router -> CAT5/5E/6/UTP cable -> RJ45 Jack in each room

I locate my reuter at central point & use wireless. Bought 4 powerline adapter, tried ok, but now removed since wireless is ok.

Edited by bepgof

i was quoted 75/point from my electrician (thru ID)

no idea whether it includes faceplate and brand of cabling used.

Also, if i do a point in bedroom, the other end **** room area, is that considered another point??

trying to check those out with my ID.

OpenNet contractor use pen to do marking for my home. Lucky I still can clean off with damp cloth but the paint abit come off. If unable to clean off, I have to buy paint to paint it off. Tot if use pencil can just use rubber eraser to clean off.

Do your contractor use pen or pencil to do marking? Or do any encounter same as me? :dunno:

Two points per room it for redundant purpose just in case next time one point down, save the trouble to relay the cables.

Yup, I've done 2 LAN points per room, whole house got 16 LAN points, running on Gigabit LAN. It's for redundancy purposes. Quite convenient as all you need to do is to plug in LAN cables & can use the internet anywhere. Wireless still will drop signals, but Ethernet won't.

anyone knows any electrician that does lan installation and patch panels? can give the contact?