Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eby

To Rewire The Whole House Or Not?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
need your opinions on this matter.

Thanks. :thumbs up:

Depends on whether you are tight for budget and whether the insulation for the wiring is brittle.

17 years is quite young for a house to re-wire.

Most wires used 20~25 years ago are still good to go for another 20 years at least. Many electricians will advise you to change because that's where they earn their bread-n-butter.

Hi there.

I suggest u ask yrself whether yr current place has enough electrical power points for ALL yr need and whether they are at yr prefered location?

I'm sure you don't wish to inconvenience yrself with insufficient power points or having to arrange yr electronic equipments and furniture according to the power points. shldnt it be the other way rd??

Power Points ARE 1 of yr lovenest's MAIN infrastructure. Getting it right the 1st time is extremely important to prevent future headaches. It will cost a little more $$ to increase the number of points or re-locating them but I wld put it as an investment such of positive returns.

Imagine just the requirement of yr entertainment system. A TV, stereo system, blue-ray player, game console(s), decor light(s), etc etc....just @ 1 area...how many points are needed? Do u want to turn on ALL of them together? if yes, cramp them altogether in 1-2 multi-plugs. if no?? of cse, u might say u will plug in the power adapter(s) only when u need it.....YEAH, right....

I added 20% more power points during my renov......now yr topic reminded me regretting not installing more.....

For a over 10 year ols unit, u might want to check yr phone line for broadband capability too. condition of wiring/line might affect yr connection.

i was an electrical technician in the navy during my regular days. to my experience, wires usually won't give you problem even after 20 years if you do not touch them. but if during your renovation, it involves movement or alteration of the electrical system, then 17 years old wires might break. of course, it still boils down to your budget.

The purpose of us rewiring is to increase the powerpoints to preferred locations because in my present house, the limited powerpoints really caused us lotsa inconvenience. And we thoght since we are going to stay in the new house for long, we might as well rewire to prevent future headaches...

I also wouldnt want a lot of potruding trunking to be visible, so we tot by rewiring, it wud help in concealing.

I als understand the cost is abit hefty?

The purpose of us rewiring is to increase the powerpoints to preferred locations because in my present house, the limited powerpoints really caused us lotsa inconvenience. And we thoght since we are going to stay in the new house for long, we might as well rewire to prevent future headaches...

I also wouldnt want a lot of potruding trunking to be visible, so we tot by rewiring, it wud help in concealing.

I als understand the cost is abit hefty?

if ur staying in condo. then no prob for concealed wiring. but it cost alot more as alot of hacking is involved.

If its hdb. then concealed wiring is not allowed

concealled wiring is deem illegal works by HDB. Only they can do, u can't do it on your own.

if u are limited by the number of points, u can consider splitting from existing points or relocating them to another location. If u ask pple to rewire, usually what they do is to split, except for dedicated high current points like heater.

Edited by hihihi

anybody here knows if there is a need for EMA testing after rewiring the whole house? is it a must or a can do thing? seems that the testing fee of $300 is rather high and doesnt seem to serve much purposes..

anybody here knows if there is a need for EMA testing after rewiring the whole house? is it a must or a can do thing? seems that the testing fee of $300 is rather high and doesnt seem to serve much purposes..

it's not needed (<-- this part I'm sure), not until like when u need to sell the house (<-- this part pls confirm)

It it bothers you on whether to rewire, then go ahead to rewire the house. You can change to nice switches, lighting points, etc... at locations convenient for your needs.

I guess after rewiring, this thing about whether to rewire will not bother you again.

Cheers!