Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
howeas

Should It Be Contractor Or Owner Responsibility

Dear all,

I have an enquiry and would require your advice on my matters?

A summary of the incident:

I bought a new house and it was renovated from end of November to end of December 2009. I did an overlaying for my common toilet. on 1 March 2010 our downstairs neighbour notified us that their common toilet ceiling has the sign of leaking from upstairs. So we had a look and request our contractor to come down for an inspection. However, the contractor defined that as a wear and tear problem (due to the block is about 23 yrs).

We were told by our neighbour that the problem started around 2 months ago but at that time, it was just a small sign and not observed. However, the condition has worsened recently. Currently, we are unable to define whether the problem is due to leaking from our common toilet or wear and tear.

My question is does my contractor has to bear the responsibility (i.e. repair my toilet floor and neighbour ceiling) if found out that the problem is due to leaking? OR this should be considered as another case/job from my renovation since we just overlay the toilet floor and no hacking?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks all.

Rgds,

Howeas

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Dear all,

I have an enquiry and would require your advice on my matters?

A summary of the incident:

I bought a new house and it was renovated from end of November to end of December 2009. I did an overlaying for my common toilet. on 1 March 2010 our downstairs neighbour notified us that their common toilet ceiling has the sign of leaking from upstairs. So we had a look and request our contractor to come down for an inspection. However, the contractor defined that as a wear and tear problem (due to the block is about 23 yrs).

We were told by our neighbour that the problem started around 2 months ago but at that time, it was just a small sign and not observed. However, the condition has worsened recently. Currently, we are unable to define whether the problem is due to leaking from our common toilet or wear and tear.

My question is does my contractor has to bear the responsibility (i.e. repair my toilet floor and neighbour ceiling) if found out that the problem is due to leaking? OR this should be considered as another case/job from my renovation since we just overlay the toilet floor and no hacking?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks all.

Rgds,

Howeas

Sadly, you will have to bear some responsibility when it comes to any complaints from the neighbour below you concerning leakage. It is best that you get your neighbour to contact HDB so that a technical officer can go over and inspect the complaint. Cost is shared, usually 50/50. So your neighbour cannot assume that they pay nothing to repair the damages.

Sadly, you will have to bear some responsibility when it comes to any complaints from the neighbour below you concerning leakage. It is best that you get your neighbour to contact HDB so that a technical officer can go over and inspect the complaint. Cost is shared, usually 50/50. So your neighbour cannot assume that they pay nothing to repair the damages.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

But my renovation is still within the warranty from the contractor so should the contractor rectify the problem for me under the warranty?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks.

Regards,

Howeas

Look like yr "good below neighbour" is taking the chance, but quite honest to tell u that the problem existed before your reno. Must be the weight of the "overlaying" material worsening the situation.

Download a file names "Rhandboo.pdf" from hdb's web will give you some light to somewhere, but.....likely the TC will ask 2 of u to settle and share 50/50?, 40/60? Good luck

Technology was not so good 30 yr ago, Stacks/pipes without "sleeving", when floor slab expands due to weight or mechanical vibration, water goes to external of stack/pipes then to below unit, though you have laid "water proof" material.

TC take cares only the Stacks(big one), the smaller one (pipes) maintain by owner.

Edited by bepgof

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

But my renovation is still within the warranty from the contractor so should the contractor rectify the problem for me under the warranty?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks.

Regards,

Howeas

It depends on whether the HDB officer classify it as a pre-existing condition or not. Contractors are a bunch of people that often use "warranty" to give you peace of mind about their worksmanship before renovations. However, when it comes to problems like this, such as leakage, finger pointing is the norm.

My advise is to redo your toilet again, hacking out new + pre-existing tiles, do a good waterproofing layer and lay new tiles. At least the contractor can make sure that repairs below your unit is up to the mark. HDB officer can then do an inspection again. To cover your backside, perhaps you can get the contractor to prepare a document so that your neighbour can sign off upon satisfactory work done conforming to HDB standards. Since they need to pay partial, it will be for their own good.

It depends on whether the HDB officer classify it as a pre-existing condition or not. Contractors are a bunch of people that often use "warranty" to give you peace of mind about their worksmanship before renovations. However, when it comes to problems like this, such as leakage, finger pointing is the norm.

My advise is to redo your toilet again, hacking out new + pre-existing tiles, do a good waterproofing layer and lay new tiles. At least the contractor can make sure that repairs below your unit is up to the mark. HDB officer can then do an inspection again. To cover your backside, perhaps you can get the contractor to prepare a document so that your neighbour can sign off upon satisfactory work done conforming to HDB standards. Since they need to pay partial, it will be for their own good.

By the way, anyone can advise me what is the estimated cost for carrying out the work above?

By the way, anyone can advise me what is the estimated cost for carrying out the work above?

Toilet reno usually cost between $2.5K ~ $3.9K depending on choice of tiles used. Mine was $2.8K including hacking.

-Hacking walltile $1.0/psf

-Hacking floortile $1.5/psf

- Ceramic tile ~ $2.8/psf

For a 5-rm hdb, master tiolet,

walltile area=230sf

floortile area=40sf

Edited by bepgof

you cant blame it all on your contractor, because the block was old too so because of that the materials used was getting old and you have to replace it on the future. to avoid further damage.

Good contractor will out of good will bear some of the cost. But if profit margin is low, how to bear. Anyway it is your decision to overlay. Besides, the leaking problem exist before you overlay and how do u prove that the overlaying cause the leak?

Talk nicely to you contractor and work something out.