Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hello all. After silently reading numerous t-blogs over the past few months, the time has finally come for me to start my own! Yay! :D

Firstly, would just like to say thanks to those who have replied my PMs and supplied me with tips and contacts: Simon, Rondy, Ossify, fftw, lynnzlq & Angteko to name a few. This forum has been a very valuable resource of information during the long wait for our first appointment. And since we've just attended our first appointment yesterday, I figured the time is RIPE!

Ok, less talk more pics. Here's our floorplan - a humble 3 room HDB flat, our very first, nonetheless:

floorplan.gif

Edited by lilithfiend

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hello all. After silently reading numerous t-blogs over the past few months, the time has finally come for me to start my own! Yay! :D

Firstly, would just like to say thanks to those who have replied my PMs and supplied me with tips and contacts: Simon, Rondy, Ossify, fftw, lynnzlq & Angteko to name a few. This forum has been a very valuable resource of information during the long wait for our first appointment. And since we've just attended our first appointment yesterday, I figured the time is RIPE!

Ok, less talk more pics. Here's our floorplan - a humble 3 room HDB flat, our very first, nonetheless:

floorplan.gif

welcome to RT :)

your floorplan looks like mine

Wah ossify, you are really fast! :lol:

I suppose most 3-room flats are more or less that kind of layout, except the newer ones. I wish the layout was better and less long-ish, and more squarish. I think no matter how you "arrange" this layout, it always ends up looking about the same..

congrats on your new hse! like you, im waiting patiently for my 2nd appt. once my keys here, i will start the reno STRAIGHT!!! LOL. you starting once you get keys too?

Congratulations!!!

Everton Park!!, a name I almost forgotten, but it brings back memories cause it is one of my childhood haunt....

tracy, yep we will start reno right after the 2nd appt. actually, we already have the keys as the house is currently vacant and seller don't mind giving us early. but cannot start reno yet la, we can just get contractors to do site visits only. tried asking hdb for earlier 2nd appt (they gave us 6 weeks) but they say cannot as we are applying for grants so will need time to process blah blah blah. zz

wcseow, thanks! it seems whenever "Everton Park" comes up, its almost always childhood memories for people. for us, we look forward to those memories! haha..i had no idea where everton park was before we bought this place..but love the location and the sleepiness of the neighbourhood.

rondy, yep you told me about the bathroom shop before. will go there have a look when its time.. :) thanks!

Pictures of Flat in Current Condition

Living

living.jpg

Bedroom 1

master.jpg

Kitchen

kitchen.jpg

WC & Bathroom

toilet.jpg

Utility Room

utility.jpg

What the Photos Do Not Show

1. Squat toilet
  2. Absence of built-in kitchen cabinet
  3. Original condition 1970's main door, windows and grilles in living & bedroom 2

nice location you got. how much did you pay for it and cov?

thanks! if not for the location, we wouldn't have bought a 3-rm as we were looking for a 4-rm or bigger initially.

Valuation price $332k, purchase price $322k

The First Appointment

rain202.jpg

It poured like mad the morning of our first appointment. After what was like a month of no rain, it had to rain on that day. Nervy me obviously saw it as a bad omen.

So we took the bus to TPY, walked on over to HDB Hub, we were late by 15 mins and when we got there at 9am, our agents, the sellers and their agent were already waiting for us..so paiseh. Our agent went to get a queue number when we arrived. In less than 10 minutes, our number was called. We were led to one of the stations just in front of the waiting area where the officer asked for our ICs and marriage certificate. She then asked us to sign a declaration form stating that we do not own any property overseas.

After we were done, it was back to the waiting seats again. Think it was less than 10 minutes when our number was called (again). So off we went to the rooms behind the stations we were at earlier. We were led into a cubicle with a HDB officer who was looking like she had PMS. It was freezing in her cubicle! Our agent was with us the whole time.

So this officer started by asking us to sign the HPS insurance form, followed by a flurry of other documents like Letter of Offer, Warrant to Act etc etc. She then took us through our Financial Plan, which worked out how much we would be paying monthly. Signed, signed, signed. Felt as if I was signing my life away. She also reminded us that if we were to purchase a subsidised flat from HDB in the future, we had to pay a $30k resale levy (in CASH) since we were taking HDB grant. Then, she proceeded to fix our 2nd appointment date – 21 April 2010. I tried asking for an earlier date, she told me this was the earliest because we had the grants so it would take a while to process. So 6 weeks it is..

Our first installment to HDB would begin on 1 June 2010. So they gave us about a month to move in, which I thought was pretty thoughtful of them. I was actually hoping to get the keys before end March since I read somewhere here that the fastest HDB could expedite was 4 weeks. Unfortunately, that wasn’t to be. So I tried asking our agent to get the keys from the owner first, so we could get the contractors to do site visits. She told me not possible..sigh.

So after all the arrangements were fixed and done, we were told to go upstairs to pay the caveat fees. On the way out, our agent whispered to me in a conspiratorial tone that she managed to get the keys for us. Woohoo!! Apparently, she didn't want the HDB officer to know. I was quite relieved since that meant we could go to the house whenever we wanted, no need to arrange with the agents to open the door whenever we want contractors to do site visits.

We then went to the third floor to pay the caveat fees. Paid the agents’ their commission and got their contractor's contact (they did their 3-rm flat at only $14k!). And it was done!

We were out of HDB by 10am. All in all, a pretty quick experience, much faster than we thought it would take.

Now, the plan is to move out of our current rental by 1 May to hb's grandaunt's house. Then, move into our new place once reno is completed. We would have to move some furniture into the utility room for storage first, while the reno is ongoing. Things are finally falling into place and I’m so excited!

hey simon, thanks! yep finally after such a long wait. i'll be seeing henry tmr! he sounded really friendly on the phone.. :) he was the friendliest of all the contractors i called. shall update next week after i've met him!

eh rondy!! touch wood, choy ah! don't worry, im not stupid enough to pay contractor in full la.

for the agent fee, i also very bei kum wan to pay up all on 1st appt. but that's according to their company's contract (Propnex). they've been pretty decent to us and helped us with getting keys earlier, requesting for earlier 1st appt, gave us their cheap contractor's contact etc. so i think not too bad la.