Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Leaking Window Sill?

Just now during the heavy downpour i realise my window sill was leaking.

I do not see any holes in the aluminium frame and the leak seems to be from the edge of the concrete- frame.

SNC01485.jpg

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

today i saw similar at common bedroom windows due to heavy rain? how to fix it. I have to repaint wall?

Hi all,

I am facing the same problem with my living room windows too. Rain seeped in and soaked my laminate flooring. Anyone can offer advice or suggestions or share your own experience to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I am facing the same problem with my living room windows too. Rain seeped in and soaked my laminate flooring. Anyone can offer advice or suggestions or share your own experience to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

I just bought a resale unit and noticed that the silicone around the kitchen and bathroom windows was unevenly applied and looked ugly ( its transulcent silicone and it had turned black and mouldy ) :). I dont know if its the same reason ( leak ) that the previous owner DIY himself. Anyway, my contractor helped me to remove the old silicon and applied white hard substance ( dont know what's that ) and the windows now look great!

By right, after the aluminium contractor install the windows, they have to grout the frame with non-shrink grout. We call it caulking. But contractors are after all contractors, sometimes they did not fully grout the frame or did not use non shrink grout to do it. This results in water seeping through these frame next to the wall. To check if they have grout it, knock on the frame to hear if there is the hollow sound. To rectify this, contractor can drill a hole through the alu frame and pump grout in.

I used to have a similar problem not at the bottom of the window, but at the sides.

Anyway, what I did was to buy a tube of silicon and squeeze them neatly onto the existing grout (from inside of the house), as well as the outside (exterior) facing grout of the window. It hasn't been leaking since then.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all.

Seems my contractor did a weird job out of it. I have quite a few windows at home and they all seem to be properly installed, with no leakage problems. Only one particular window in my living room has this problem.

Anyway i used putty (bought at DIY stores) to seal up some of the uneven gaps near that problematic window both on the interior and exterior. At this moment of time, the problem has not recur. I will be hoping for some heavy downpour and monitoring. Thank you all for the responses and hopefully anyone else who have a similar problem will find them useful. :)

Thank you all.

Seems my contractor did a weird job out of it. I have quite a few windows at home and they all seem to be properly installed, with no leakage problems. Only one particular window in my living room has this problem.

Anyway i used putty (bought at DIY stores) to seal up some of the uneven gaps near that problematic window both on the interior and exterior. At this moment of time, the problem has not recur. I will be hoping for some heavy downpour and monitoring. Thank you all for the responses and hopefully anyone else who have a similar problem will find them useful. :)

Must always study the cause before action. Zhiz's case look like the sliding window with water trapped in the railing ans sort of "overflow" after sometime. There is a cutting at extreme end of railing to "drain" water......

If cement slab on top of window not "protruding out" long enought, rain water will easy run down from top wall, and get collected at window sills. In this situation, whether casement or sliding, try to make a "drainage" at lowerest end to prevent colletion of water. Need trial & error a few times. If got "lobang" whether at sides or bottom of window frame, just seal it, better from outside in.

Edited by bepgof