Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Umaisarah

Help! Which Combination Works?

Beloved RT forummers

I have this solid wood dining table (am getting rid of the chairs)

4552846066_58af751b06.jpg

which will go under this dining room cyrstal light

4544136663_f67180301a.jpg

My DH and I are looking for dining chairs to match this combination.

I like the Caspian chairs from XZQT in white laser-cut polypropylene.

I can't find the design on the web but here's a close look-alike from Comfort Furniture.

(the cuts are more flowery-like, and the legs are those sled type)

4553864802_d0bf01116d.jpg

Hubby likes the Zanzibar chair and bench in white from Teak and Mahagony.

4552910664_f494bafffa.jpg4553248173_a637ca286f.jpg

Both options cost abt the same.

I think the Caspian will give a modern, urban look and match the lights but I'm also ok with the Zanzibar but fear that it will clash with the crystal light.

In your honest opinion, which dining chair will suit the table+light combination better?

Will I be committing major ID faux pas if I go with the Zanzibar option?

PLEASE HELP!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hmm... i prefer the shape of the Zanzibar chair/bench, but not sure if the weave will go with the lights... the Caspian looks slightly too casual for the lgihts??

my suggestion is get something light...mine are so heavy, it becomes a chore during mopping and dining time haha

Both are actually quite light. The Zanzibar is lighter cuz it's made of wicker.

hmm... i prefer the shape of the Zanzibar chair/bench, but not sure if the weave will go with the lights... the Caspian looks slightly too casual for the lgihts??

Hmm...you think? The Caspian we saw at XZQT looked to be quite solid. But strangely I can't find it in XZQT or Calligaris (the original Italian furniture maker) website!

Both are actually quite light. The Zanzibar is lighter cuz it's made of wicker.

Hmm...you think? The Caspian we saw at XZQT looked to be quite solid. But strangely I can't find it in XZQT or Calligaris (the original Italian furniture maker) website!

I think the Caspian and the table do not really match as caspian is more modern looking. The lights and the table gives me a feel of classical elegance, I would try to retain this elegance.

I think the Caspian and the table do not really match as caspian is more modern looking. The lights and the table gives me a feel of classical elegance, I would try to retain this elegance.

What kind of chairs would you recommend?

Do you think I shd stick to wooden chairs?

3 items, not matching at all.

Ack! you mean the lights don't go with the table either? :~:~

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Had a rethink on the design of the chairs.

Mbe stick to wood or upholster the old ones to save $$ and trees :)

when i look at the lights, i think of a table that is either glass or white.. dark wood with that lighting looks quite out leh.. those very very light kind of wood table also ok...

but if you are keeping the table, then i think the zanzibar bench should be okay.. the chair is okay too, but white looks weird with the table don't you think? caspian is totally out, match the lights but not the table.

when i look at the lights, i think of a table that is either glass or white.. dark wood with that lighting looks quite out leh.. those very very light kind of wood table also ok...

but if you are keeping the table, then i think the zanzibar bench should be okay.. the chair is okay too, but white looks weird with the table don't you think? caspian is totally out, match the lights but not the table.

They do come in the honey colour (which is 25% off, btw :)) and dark brown, but we chose white to go with the lights.

The Caspian chair idea was inspired by this photo I saw on Loyd Pek's blog where he had matched a modern-looking chair with wooden table. In fact, XZQT has a similar-looking chair (model name is Jam) but I liked the look of the Caspian with its flowery design (no picture, **** it!). I think the picture I posted up there doesn't really do the real thing justice :)

Anyway, I'm also exploring another option which I've described in greater detail in my T-blog. Hope to hear your comments about tt option, too :)

What kind of chairs would you recommend?

Do you think I shd stick to wooden chairs?

Ack! you mean the lights don't go with the table either? :~:~

Ya...the light don't goes well with the table. This type of lighting which is so call a "family" of chandelier (a design modified to be less heavy, less expensive and more compact but still have those "blink blink" effect), its more suit for a modern theme than with a mixture of wooden furniture. U was like mixing a Victoria style with Bali style.

If really want to match with wooded furniture, modern zen or modern Balinese can maybe suit the lighting. My recommendation is to paint the table to a more darker tone. Both the chairs don't really match at all.

Sorry about that, this is my personal point of view on the lighting, chair and table.

on the blog, the table was in darker colour wor.. that's why it still looks good. because the wood is almost black, so the padding on the white modern chair can match.. yours is a brown.. that's why i don't feel the dining will look really "together'... the caspians confirm match with the lights though. oh ya, you may consider jaskel's suggestion, tint it to a darker wood.

i saw your blog as well. upholster the current chairs not too bad too. can consider. then you be saving money le. hehe.

Agree, agree, must change table to darker colour. Mbe a dark walnut.

As for chairs, looks like i'm going for upholstering, but not the whole chair cuz my hubby not too keen.

So to compromise, I'm only doing the seat part cuz tt's very uncomfortable rt now. so at least with padding, more comfort.

The back of the chair is actually quite nice, so it'll be good to keep it intact.

But most definitely need to varnish the chairs as well.

Hv more updates of my dining chair dilemma in my blog :)

Agree, agree, must change table to darker colour. Mbe a dark walnut.

As for chairs, looks like i'm going for upholstering, but not the whole chair cuz my hubby not too keen.

So to compromise, I'm only doing the seat part cuz tt's very uncomfortable rt now. so at least with padding, more comfort.

The back of the chair is actually quite nice, so it'll be good to keep it intact.

But most definitely need to varnish the chairs as well.

Hv more updates of my dining chair dilemma in my blog :)

Had u visit the furniture shops at Sungei Kadut Ave? Cos there maybe a better and cheaper than u vanish and upholstering it for $380 per chair.

williamm.jpg

My feel is this type of colour may suit your lighting.

Edited by jaskel

Had u visit the furniture shops at Sungei Kadut Ave? Cos there maybe a better and cheaper than u vanish and upholstering it for $380 per chair.

williamm.jpg

My feel is this type of colour may suit your lighting.

Err....where u get $380 from?

It's actually $210 per chair for varnish + upholstering the seat.

$180 if varnish only

$275 if varnish + upholster the whole chair.

I did go to Sungei Kadut last weekend. Went to Mode Studio, and Zen. The chairs at Mode were very modern looking, didn't fancy any of them. Zen had more in the style I want but the chairs looked more or less like my current chair.

What is the colour of the table in the drawing? Is it black, black brown or walnut-brown. Not really clear leh.....

But I like the chairs, but without the arm rests. Quite fancy-looking....:)