Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

thanks vinny,

I don't know why, I have never been big on "mini" speakers..

I am still doing some budget sizing, hence my question on the Arena...

would you recommend any other Tannoy set ups ?

Search for my previous postings.

Questions involved -

1) Budget?

2) Floor standers or Sat speakers?

3) Hi Def or Not?

4) Movies or Music?

5) Size of living room?

1 forummer here asked me if its ok to pair Pod Speakers (very chio & high WAF) with Def tech center speaker.

Its a no brainer. Pod is good for music listening but its a 4 Ohm impedance speaker while the DefTech's are generally

8 Ohm speakers.

I do hope that joker took my advice & decided against this pairing.

Would you like to wow your guests with chio-ness of speakers or the audio quality of your speakers?

Cheers

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Search for my previous postings.

Questions involved -

1) Budget?

2) Floor standers or Sat speakers?

3) Hi Def or Not?

4) Movies or Music?

5) Size of living room?

1 forummer here asked me if its ok to pair Pod Speakers (very chio & high WAF) with Def tech center speaker.

Its a no brainer. Pod is good for music listening but its a 4 Ohm impedance speaker while the DefTech's are generally

8 Ohm speakers.

I do hope that joker took my advice & decided against this pairing.

Would you like to wow your guests with chio-ness of speakers or the audio quality of your speakers?

Cheers

Questions involved -

1) Budget? approx 3.5 to 4

2) Floor standers or Sat speakers? sats i think the big floor standers will fail the WAF test

3) Hi Def or Not? hmmm.. debatable at this point

4) Movies or Music? more music then movies

5) Size of living room? need to measure, but its not every big...

i am not really into too much mixing and matching.. so i would get all the speakers from 1 brand (increases the WAF, less rojak)

also I am trying to avoid HTiB, somehow i feel thats a bit of a cop out and those kits are often associated with people who watch loud boomy movies rather than music.

but I have to bear in mind that my ears are not finicky as well so there is no need for me to break the bank over this..

Edit, i am fine with black boxy rectangles...

function over form, unless they are Arenas :dribble::yeah:

Edited by lsntyl

Hi Fi mag are good for reference check but a lousy indicator.

Its best you audition them. KEC has moved to a bigger space in Adelphi (4th floor) & it has all the amps

you can audition.

From my experience, Denon's manual can really test your patience. Ive a friend whom until today, has not

bring the best out of his Denon amp.

Cheers

yeah, shall visit them 1 day. Still a long way to go before i can confirm which speakers to get...

Questions involved -

2) Floor standers or Sat speakers? sats i think the big floor standers will fail the WAF test

i am not really into too much mixing and matching.. so i would get all the speakers from 1 brand (increases the WAF, less rojak)

also I am trying to avoid HTiB, somehow i feel thats a bit of a cop out and those kits are often associated with people who watch loud boomy movies rather than music.

but I have to bear in mind that my ears are not finicky as well so there is no need for me to break the bank over this..

u can try out the MS genie, $1500 last quote fr KEC few mths back or def tech pro 800. Should be within yr budget

Hi Vicenzo,

I too am looking for gd HTS. will go check out but hope to have your recommendations too.

1. budget - 3- 4k if poss.

2. floor standers or sats - dsn matter too much of coz I appreciate the space savingness of the sats

3. Hi defor not - not sure I understand this

4. movies/music - prob more movies 80-20

5. size of livingrm - could be 4m by 3.5m but not sure how to set it up eg, how do u run the cables al the way to the rears and I fear screen might be too far so I may halve the length eg, position it 2.5m by 3.5m - cables run under rug to the rears. the balance of the room id jus put bookshelves or display cabinets.

if its the 685s as fronts What would be the ideal package? amp,rears,sub,centre

TV I may acquire a 50" plasma soon

Thanks vicenzo or anyone who enjoys thinking up of HTS for given budget

Questions involved -

There you have it.

Visit KEC to look at Definitive Technology either Mythos or their proCinema series. Think they also market Mordaunt Short speakers as well.

For B&W visit The Experts group at Lavender St (Nxt to imminient Plaza)

For music lovers, the B&W will impress.

Cheers

Hi Vicenzo,

3. Hi defor not - not sure I understand this

4. movies/music - prob more movies 80-20

if its the 685s as fronts What would be the ideal package? amp,rears,sub,centre

Thanks vicenzo or anyone who enjoys thinking up of HTS for given budget

Hi jazz.

Whats a better compliment to a perfect home than with a sounding HTS?

Hi Def - Most receivers are HDMI compliant. Meaning it can decode superior quality audio (True Hd & DTS HDMA) & improves

your pix quality quite substantially. The source has to come from say a Bluray disc or a HD format instrument.

HDMI receivers are not expensive as the older receivers (that uses RCA, Component) are phasing out slowly but surely.

If youre a movies person, I think the DefTech or paradigm speakers will surprise you.

As for pairing 685s, you can consider the 686 or the M1 (both B&W) as rears. The Experts Group (B&W retailer) as a Cinema HTS package.

You may want to check them out.

Cheers

u can try out the MS genie, $1500 last quote fr KEC few mths back or def tech pro 800. Should be within yr budget

looks good, what other sets from MS would you recommend ?

There you have it.

Visit KEC to look at Definitive Technology either Mythos or their proCinema series. Think they also market Mordaunt Short speakers as well.

For B&W visit The Experts group at Lavender St (Nxt to imminient Plaza)

For music lovers, the B&W will impress.

Cheers

thanks Vinny...

but the arena... sigh....

Bro

Work within your budget. I may drop by at KEC this afternoon to check if the Onkyo 708/808 has arrived.

Cheers

Aye Aye....

woo.. sounds interesting...

any opinion on a Yamaha set up ?

looks good, what other sets from MS would you recommend ?

no comments for the rest of e MS series as i only tried the genie. Monitor audio also gd for music. U can check it out. Find 1 day when u're free, drop by aldephi with yr fav cd. Go n try out the different speakers. Fr there, u can hear which one suits u. Wat we like may not be the same for u. Word of advice fr those expect who tell me, use yr ears to hear the diff. That should help u decide.

thanks Vinny...

but the arena... sigh....

lol. I heard it before. Comparing to The Genie, wife n me were blown away by the difference. But decided not get it as I heard a better one, but cannot compare la, cos both different class. Plus I trying to get speakers that can blend into my console. :D

lol. I heard it before. Comparing to The Genie, wife n me were blown away by the difference. But decided not get it as I heard a better one, but cannot compare la, cos both different class. Plus I trying to get speakers that can blend into my console. :D

so which is better the genie or arena..? :P

no comments for the rest of e MS series as i only tried the genie. Monitor audio also gd for music. U can check it out. Find 1 day when u're free, drop by aldephi with yr fav cd. Go n try out the different speakers. Fr there, u can hear which one suits u. Wat we like may not be the same for u. Word of advice fr those expect who tell me, use yr ears to hear the diff. That should help u decide.

thanks for the tip..

I hope my ears are up to the job

Hi

Congrats on getting a new home. Thankfully you have a clear budget for a proper HTS.

Let me help you to decide.

Within your budget, the usual suspects for sats speakers -

1. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema series. A few forummers in this forum are proud owners

2. Klipsch

3. Mordaunt Short MS

4. Tannoy Arena

5. B&W MT20/25/30

Items 4 & 5 are a bit pricier but what you pay for is what you get.

Usually I would recommend a good sub woofer to replace the exisiting set up. But if youre happy with the current sub, keep it by

all means.

As for receiver, look no further than Onkyos & yamahas.

Bluray player, get the OPPO80 or 83. The upscale conversion of these OPPo players makes your DVD pix looks like BR pix.

Cheers

After some quick research, decide to go w/ the following combo:

Blu-ray Player: BDP-80 or BDP-83

Amp/Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR507 or TX-SR607

Speakers: Definitive Technology ProCinema 800, 600 or 60 depends on how much money left from the above two

Since I'm setting up 5.1ch HTS only, is 607 so much better than 507? Will the 607 be overkill? There is quite some price difference between these two, but I do like the idea of having a better amp if it does enhance the quality.

Any comments on this setup and which to choose?

Again, my budget is 3k, but I don't mind saving a bit if possible ;)

Thanks and cheers!

Edited by fengwei