Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
harrymonster

Buying 2nd Hand Resale But ....

few yrs ago i got locked out of hse, called a lock smith,charge $70 jus to unlock the dr using some lubricant & "special" key! but tts mkt rate n it sure has gone up over the last few years

When i got my house, I duplicate a set of keys for my parents for safe keeping in case similar thing like yours happened.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Appreciate your feedback and advice.

Of course I do appreciate my sellers kind understanding to let us start paint work earlier before the 2nd appointment and to be fair, they have been quite helpful and we have good communication between us.

Just that I still feel a bit miffed, in the sense that a metal grille gate lock without the key should have been mentioned upfront shouldnt it? Especially after asking them repeatedly if there's anything to highlight but only to be informed 1 week before the 2nd appointment.

For example, if buying a 2nd hand flat is on a 'as-if' basis, and if it was mentioned anytime prior to putting the deposit or exercising the option, then obviously there's nothing for me to say.

But if such a case happened, in which there was no way to have been able to notice the 'lack' of the key, as well as after asking if there's anything to highlight and the reponses was always in the positive, what it to replace the lock would cost $500, surely this would affect the buyer's decision on the COV or to ask for a slight discount wont it? As well as not to mention, a very slight bad aftertaste especially when things are about to be wrapped up.

And the COV we paid up wasnt a small sum and neither did we haggle much, we basically gave sellers what they wanted. So from my point of view as well, it's not a case about non-reciprocating.

Apologies if i come across as a bit upset, it's not a big issue i admit, just trying to understand how such situations work out. Still my first time at buying a resale too

When we went to view a flat, before we place our deposit. we ask is all the key(door, window, room) there.

They reply yes

After 2nd appointment, they pass us the key and we went up to the unit to try out all the key.

Then they tell us, the window grill at masterbed room, 1 common room and kitchen. No key b'coz the lock already spoil. Basically the latch is missing. Not even can latch the window. They use cable to tied the window to prevent their kid for falling.

We like.. ok.. LL

Then next, room door lock. Yep, got key but.. forget it, we decide to change the whole door. Cannot keep at all. Their kid is artist, like drawing alot.

Sigh.. purchase list getting longer and longer

Now, kitchen cabinet. After we hack down the existing kitchen cabinet. The tile is not tile all the way up to ceiling. Previous owner save cost. Only tiles those expose area and they build the top cabinet very low.

sigh.. don't know what to do now except ask our contractor to look for similar or close tiles.

Resale unit is like that.

You cannot expect seller so "lao shi" tell you all the things.

See open

See open

Think positive.

As long , don't have ah long. Very good liao

祖宗保估

"i come across as a bit upset"

Don't be, read more forums, you see more absurb cases.

Whether ethical or not. By right or wrong.

OTP , rental agreement .. all can be void.

Focus on the seller kindness for their earlier handing over.

You should be smiling. okay brother :)

Harrymonster,

Well if the house is newly renovated and in a better condition, the valuation price that you'll be paying for it will also be higher hehe. ;)

Your seller is nice to let you enter the house earlier. My seller refused to let my mover shift 2 pieces of my 2ndhand furniture into the house 2 nights before our 2nd appointment, although the house was already vacant. I didn't pester him and just left my furniture along the corridoor, haha praying that noone would touch them.

My seller didn't mention about the key loss, rusty taps, spoiled shower screen etc. during our viewings. After 2nd appointment, then we realised about the lack of 2 keys. When I approached him about these 2 keys, he kept insisting they were in the key pack that he passed to me. I just let the matter rest. Key loss is still better than pipe bursting, ah long knocking at my door etc. :)

Edited by forgotten

Resale unit is like that.

You cannot expect seller so "lao shi" tell you all the things.

See open

See open

Think positive.

As long , don't have ah long. Very good liao

祖宗保估

I agree with you. See open!

If want everything new in the house, do a full renovation lor.

Edited by forgotten

it could have been something that didn't bug them when living there and hence did not immediately think to highlight to you unless specifically asked, like somethings are very common to one but uncommon to another. don't upset yourself by second guessing how they could have not mentioned it earlier. new house is happy event :) :) :)