Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
harrymonster

Buying 2nd Hand Resale But ....

Hi all,

Would like to get your advices please. I bought a 2nd hand resale flat in Tamp recently, had my 1st appointment in mid April and will be having my 2nd appointment next week. However the sellers moved out earlier this week and didnt mind us starting paint work before the actual 2nd appointment.

While meeting them earlier in the week to collect the keys in advance, sellers suddenly mentioned that they do not have the keys to the inbuilt lock in the metal grille gate (they lost it a couple years ago and never got it made).

Whats the normal situation in this case? Is it within my right to ask sellers to compensate me for getting a new lock? I.e. Buying a 2nd hand flat is on a 'as-if' basis, but we never had the chance to actually use lock, and during the entire process we had asked sellers more than a few times to highlight any defects/shortfalls and they only highlighted it barely 1 week before the 2nd apointment.

Also, some of the locks on the sliding windows in the house arent exactly very snug, i.e. if you lock the sliding door but nudge it a few times repeatedly, the lock can be worked loose and open up.

Thanks very much..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

Would like to get your advices please. I bought a 2nd hand resale flat in Tamp recently, had my 1st appointment in mid April and will be having my 2nd appointment next week. However the sellers moved out earlier this week and didnt mind us starting paint work before the actual 2nd appointment.

While meeting them earlier in the week to collect the keys in advance, sellers suddenly mentioned that they do not have the keys to the inbuilt lock in the metal grille gate (they lost it a couple years ago and never got it made).

Whats the normal situation in this case? Is it within my right to ask sellers to compensate me for getting a new lock? I.e. Buying a 2nd hand flat is on a 'as-if' basis, but we never had the chance to actually use lock, and during the entire process we had asked sellers more than a few times to highlight any defects/shortfalls and they only highlighted it barely 1 week before the 2nd apointment.

Also, some of the locks on the sliding windows in the house arent exactly very snug, i.e. if you lock the sliding door but nudge it a few times repeatedly, the lock can be worked loose and open up.

Thanks very much..

Wow piang, do you like existing grille? If like, keep it, don't like, get it replaced. Forget about the keys to locks. Have=don't have.

Edited by bepgof

Wow piang, do you like existing grille? If like, keep it, don't like, get it replaced. Forget about the keys to locks. Have=don't have.

Agreed with bepgof. One will usually replace all locks when after take over...

For me, i just use the Duro lock ( single key to the maindoor, gatelock and letterbox ) and never use the built in one.

Buying resale "as is", u accept it as it is nothing u can do about it. Resale no warranty one, unless u buy new from HDB, upon collecting key report any defect u can find and HDB will rectify for u.

How much can a lock cost?

Get a big pad lock, one key to your house, less key to carry. I don't even lock my wooden door when i'm out, only the duro pad lock on the gate.

I change all lock , even the window grill lock.

bepgof has say what I want to say.

Don't want to repeat

Your seller is already very nice to pass you the keys earlier and let you start renovation earlier.

For resale units, some of the things are bound to be old and not in good condition.

Edited by forgotten

It reminds me ...

when I got my keys before my 2nd apptment (I force the seller to do that because he had extended the 2nd apptment 2x),

On the same night, I asked a locksmith to change the mailbox keys.

During reno, I can not find the keys for the windows lock and they are locked. So, I have to ask my contractor to force them open.

After move in, I can not find the keys for all the drawers of the built-in wardrobe. So, I use screwdriver to pry them open.

And, naturally I never have the keys for the metal gate which is a non-issue since we are using another padlock.

So, for just a key, why bother to chase the seller for it?

Your seller is already very nice to pass you the keys earlier and let you start renovation earlier.

For resale units, some of the things are bound to be old and not in good condition.

Just to express some experience here:

1. If ppl gives me "an inch", I will make sure to pay him "1 feet". "Ren qing" can't be measured/pay/buy in monetary term. I owed my mil too much...

2. Previously (1st 5-rm), mil even put little padlocks over those widow grilles with cable ties. That was when my 2 kids were young. I used to open grilles for watering the cacti, sccullent & hydroponic plants(morning sun).eventually, gave up the "hobby" temporary( almost 12 years!). Found these grilles very obstructing!

3. She even got "arm strong" padlock for the gate.. sigh.... Found very troublesome everytime in & out my own house. There were so many keys get herself confused, always. I just make sure hang one set at back of main door, at all time, for everybody to escape for just in case. One good thing, she seldoms close main door - at least same tune.

4. After shifted to condo, luckily no window grilles, however, still see the "arm-strong" sigh...main door remained open. See my plants again.

5. "Downgrade" to 5-rm hdb, start of this yr, no more "wire mesh" grilles, just 2 bars across all windows. No more "armstrong", but i missed the plants...main door open.

6. Have been my "dream" to get one without built-in terrace roof, to have plants and see/count stars at night.....

Edited by bepgof

But there are some where you give one inch, they demand much more ...

Life is short .... don't wait too long to fulfil your dreams.

Just to express some experience here:

If ppl gives me "an inch", I will make sure to pay him "1 feet". "Ren qing" can't be measured/pay/buy in monetary term. I owed my mil too much...

Have been my "dream" to get one without built-in terrace roof, to have plants and see/count stars at night.....

Hi all,

Side track a bit ...

Do you all have any locksmith to recommend? I need to force open my master bedroom's window grilles, my seller lost the keys to their locks. My aircon compressor is right outside that window. I'n planning to do a servicing of my aircons. :P Thanks.

I paid $90 to one locksmith to replace 1 bedroom's spoiled door knot weeks ago. My friends said I got "chopped carrot". Luckily I was locked outside of the room instead of locked inside that day LOL.

Edited by forgotten

Hi all,

Side track a bit ...

Do you all have any locksmith to recommend? I need to force open my master bedroom's window grilles, my seller lost the keys to their locks. My aircon compressor is right outside that window. I'n planning to do a servicing of my aircons. :P Thanks.

I paid $90 to one locksmith to replace 1 bedroom's spoiled door knot weeks ago. My friends said I got "chopped carrot". Luckily I was locked outside of the room instead of locked inside that day LOL.

normal type or designer door knot?

$90 include door knot set or not?

Wow $90 just to change door knot set, very easy money leh.

I DIY only cos me $13/- normal type. I will like to get those Designer type($60) but cannot fix my door, whole too small.

normal type or designer door knot?

$90 include door knot set or not?

Wow $90 just to change door knot set, very easy money leh.

I DIY only cos me $13/- normal type. I will like to get those Designer type($60) but cannot fix my door, whole too small.

$90 includes door knot.

Door knot is normal type. I saw exactly the same one at one hardware shop, selling at $8.50.

Any locksmith to recommend window grill's lock? I don't want to be chopped carrot again hahaha.

Edited by forgotten

$90 includes door knot.

Door knot is normal type. I saw exactly the same one at one hardware shop, selling at $8.50.

Any locksmith to recommend window grill's lock? I don't want to be chopped carrot again hahaha.

I don't know what type of window's grill you are using.

I saw one of the hardware shop selling those latch (turn 180 degree to latch the other window , got a key to lock type) selling at $5.80

It has right or left side.