Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pixiepixel

Pixiepixel's Pixilated Home

but thought dx cannot do the cement screed that u want?

samgalz, I have not decided if i am to use DX but if he can come up with solutions to my problems, and if i take him, then i will find my own cement screed-er?

any lobangz? :D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hello! thanks for loving the floor.

a small background about the floor:

ID had the same flooring in their office and it was a "new" concept - they tried to persuade their clients to do it but no one keen to take up their "offer"...but we did

its a very big pc of board (a living room only has like max 5-6pcs of these boards), about errr 1m x 400/500 (not sure exact dimensions)??

its calcium silicate board. the tilers will cement screen on the boards, then mount them onto the floor, and the apply epoxy finish to give the protection and gloss look, then bolt them down with screws. i think few layers of this and that goes onto the boards

the cost = normal homogeneous tiles' prices

after 5 years, some parts get chipped off and there are cracks in between the joints. but we love it because well, you have to live with cracks if you have cement flooring :P

seems exp but ended with norm homo pricing? brilliant!

am using board as well. but would be in my kitchen area whereby any existing tiles would be covered by board and nailed / screw down to hold it. finish off with paint. end result would be cheaper than hacking down the tiles, using hard compound powder plastering and paint it off. plus, painting over the board would give a even smoother finish.

samgalz, I have not decided if i am to use DX but if he can come up with solutions to my problems, and if i take him, then i will find my own cement screed-er?

any lobangz? :D

i have a contact of a guy who can do cement screed flooring but you have to supervise the process yourself..we considered this option but decided against it cos we felt it was too much work to coordinate. if you want, i can PM you the contact..er, btw you also must be able to speak chinese cos he's from china. :D

am using board as well. but would be in my kitchen area whereby any existing tiles would be covered by board and nailed / screw down to hold it. finish off with paint. end result would be cheaper than hacking down the tiles, using hard compound powder plastering and paint it off. plus, painting over the board would give a even smoother finish.

*screams* really!! can be done??! hooray!!

i was playing with this idea too but I thought cannot be done and i need to use lousy tiles again for kitchen walls....

u got me super excited now!.....

so tell me, what is the board made of? thickness? then will it be as smooth as (eg) plastered wall? you plan to paint? color?

paiseh many qns but thats exactly what im looking for in my kitchen... :dancingqueen::dribble:

i have a contact of a guy who can do cement screed flooring but you have to supervise the process yourself..we considered this option but decided against it cos we felt it was too much work to coordinate. if you want, i can PM you the contact..er, btw you also must be able to speak chinese cos he's from china. :D

lilithfiend

i want the contact nevertheless, thanks so much!

i have enough leave for this reno (plus packing, moving, and unpacking), so should be all right for me to supervise...

but just to check if he has good workmanship?

thanks in advance!

lilithfiend

i want the contact nevertheless, thanks so much!

i have enough leave for this reno (plus packing, moving, and unpacking), so should be all right for me to supervise...

but just to check if he has good workmanship?

thanks in advance!

k PM-ed you.

hello marshmellow!! street 13; blk 100+

how about you?? when r u moving in?

your area is good le... close to MRT and interchange~ i tried to look for flat there but no luck... :( now my new place is at St 32 :)

now my place still under renovation now... :paint: *hopefully* will be done next month :unsure:

your area is good le... close to MRT and interchange~ i tried to look for flat there but no luck... :( now my new place is at St 32 :)

now my place still under renovation now... :paint: *hopefully* will be done next month :unsure:

marshmellow

my place is not near JE mrt but nearer to chinese garden mrt...

from JE mrt to my in law's place = 10-15mins

from her place to my place = 10-15mins

so impossible to walk to my new place...unless i walk along the JE interchange along boon lay way??

we looked for 4rm and no luck too...suddenly 1 agent called and say got a 5rm listed for 11x and we flipped! 11x's 4 or 5rm very fast snapped up...we viewed another one at 200+ (near the mosque or SPC), cov too high...

so we settled for this, cov 26k. we think its a steal for the amount of cov we are paying - considering high property prices

why ah? JE no one selling their place. too much demand, too little supply.

whereas JW has lots of supply but matching demand

puiz

*screams* really!! can be done??! hooray!!

i was playing with this idea too but I thought cannot be done and i need to use lousy tiles again for kitchen walls....

u got me super excited now!.....

so tell me, what is the board made of? thickness? then will it be as smooth as (eg) plastered wall? you plan to paint? color?

paiseh many qns but thats exactly what im looking for in my kitchen... :dancingqueen::dribble:

thanks in advance!

haha... same here. didnt want tiles in the kitchen cause hard to decide what would be very nice for kitchen tiles

ok, i gotta recap my discussion with my id back then when we discussed about tis topic.. here goes

the last i know is normal plaster board i think. cause i was asking id do i need it to be waterproofing kind of board considering mopping and sort that is in contact with water.

he initially said yes but then we thought harder and he said since skirting tiles below the board, that would prevent water to come in contact with the board. so normal plaster board would suffice.

asked if board will warp due to cooking, high heat.. he reverted that the board would be nailed down and that wouldnt be an issue.

asked if the smoothness would be comparable to a plastered skim coat finishing. he said is close to it. or at least definitely like a normal painted wall and wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

me? i will be painting over it definitely. but colors wise, is more to match the entire house design rather a color to cover the board if that's wat you're asking.

so decided to adopt tis sys cause seems like there are some savings. so entire kitchen wall replaced with board and paint.

u may want to check it out with yr id also. see how comfortable he is with tis system.

meanwhile, will keep you updated once i meet my id again ya

afternote: after typing, i have another enquiry in mind for my id too. since wall can be different size i.e not necessary one nicely cut board able to cover all. then my question would be the line or space between board to board, would it be a weak point? meaning paint crack line over the weak point. mayb need to introduce an anti-fracture membrane before painting over it. hmm...

anywayz, hope it helps!

afternote: after typing, i have another enquiry in mind for my id too. since wall can be different size i.e not necessary one nicely cut board able to cover all. then my question would be the line or space between board to board, would it be a weak point? meaning paint crack line over the weak point. mayb need to introduce an anti-fracture membrane before painting over it. hmm...

well, im not an expert in this at all but the spaces in between will definitely show cracks (like my current floor boards at home)...

like i said, i have few layers of whatnots over the floorboard and spaces between the boards to prevent cracking, but it still cracks anyway :(

prolly weekend i'll take a pic of the spaces in between the floor boards. definitely they have something filled in between but im too lousy to know what's that.

afternote: tonight the ID company who has done up my current unit is coming for a meeting for my new unit. i'll check with them (step by step) how they achieve that :P

well, im not an expert in this at all but the spaces in between will definitely show cracks (like my current floor boards at home)...

like i said, i have few layers of whatnots over the floorboard and spaces between the boards to prevent cracking, but it still cracks anyway :(

prolly weekend i'll take a pic of the spaces in between the floor boards. definitely they have something filled in between but im too lousy to know what's that.

afternote: tonight the ID company who has done up my current unit is coming for a meeting for my new unit. i'll check with them (step by step) how they achieve that :P

Hi,

The layout plan of ur new hse is close to 100% as mine, except that my unit and balcony does not have chamfer corner. i am staying at st 21 blk 21X for a year liao. tat time paid 8.8k for the cov ;) . but for the reno we spent a bomb. :( cos we basically overhauled the whole place

as long as there is a line or gap, it is potentially a weak spot and any paint over it may crack after wear and tear. that's why I firmly believe by introducing an anti-fracture membrane over the gap before painting over it will help reduce the problem. hmm...

Hi,

The layout plan of ur new hse is close to 100% as mine, except that my unit and balcony does not have chamfer corner. i am staying at st 21 blk 21X for a year liao. tat time paid 8.8k for the cov ;) . but for the reno we spent a bomb. :( cos we basically overhauled the whole place

hello cher

whats a chamfer corner?? :dunno:

hello everyone

my existing living room flooring is marble and we do not like the marble; intend to replace it with tiles

in this case, we have few options:-

1. hack and then lay new tiles = expensive to hack

2. overlay with laminate = but taking a risk coz must see foundation good for laminate or not. and do not like the wood grain look of laminate

3. overlay with tiles = can this be done? what are the risks i have to take if i dont hack the marble away first?

any other solutions?

Edited by pixiepixel

hello cher

whats a chamfer corner?? :dunno:

Hi, if u look closely at ur floor plan, u will notice that almost all columns at corners are not 90 degree right angle column, including the balcony, there is a 45 degree corner. mine are all in right angle, so there is slight diff between our floor plan.

hello everyone

my existing living room flooring is marble and we do not like the marble; intend to replace it with tiles

in this case, we have few options:-

1. hack and then lay new tiles = expensive to hack

2. overlay with laminate = but taking a risk coz must see foundation good for laminate or not. and do not like the wood grain look of laminate

3. overlay with tiles = can this be done? what are the risks i have to take if i dont hack the marble away first?

any other solutions?

1. Hack and lay new tiles = expensive to hack, but also won't worry about your main door, main gate, bedrooms doors also.

2. Overlay with laminate = foundation for marble is better so don't need to worry, cos u only heard marble floor crack but not pop out. But since u don't like the wood grain of laminate, then this option is out already.

3. Overlay with tiles = can be done. just pity only. Same as overlay laminate, the height increased, the doors might affected.