Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechaorui

Painting Versus Wall Paper

What are the pros and cons of painting vis a vis using wall paper? Is it better to apply wall paper on a plastered wall without paint or better to paint the wall first, then apply wall paper?

Is wall paper durable? My neighbour applied wall paper and it look very nice. However I spotted some bubbles in between areas. Just wondering whether wall paper is lasting.

Any views?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
What are the pros and cons of painting vis a vis using wall paper? Is it better to apply wall paper on a plastered wall without paint or better to paint the wall first, then apply wall paper?

Is wall paper durable? My neighbour applied wall paper and it look very nice. However I spotted some bubbles in between areas. Just wondering whether wall paper is lasting.

Any views?

I just removed wall paper from my mum's new resale flat yesterday and the wall although it was removed professionally($600 for hall)still was very sticky. And the wall had 4 layers of wall paper the last layer was faded and the owners just carried on putting on new ones without removing the old ones.

Any views?

Wall paper are super expensive. I have 1 pallet of wall in my master bedroom which my designer suggested us to use wall paper. You are right about "it look very nice". But i notice there are small bubbles in between. A few months after I moved in, I notice certain part of the wall paper turn mouldy, I need to climb up and wipe away the mould with a piece of damp cloth once every 2 - 3 months. I'm not sure what causes the mould to grow on it. I suspect cos I close all the windows in my master bedroom.

Wallpaper is meant for aircon room (like hotel room) where humidity is low. used on normal room will turn yellow, and certain type will attact dust.

Wall need minimum sealer coat to make sure the plaster wun feel like dust. If not, the glue may not really stick.

Wallpaper is meant for aircon room (like hotel room) where humidity is low. used on normal room will turn yellow, and certain type will attact dust.

Wall need minimum sealer coat to make sure the plaster wun feel like dust. If not, the glue may not really stick.

I had wall paper for my previous place for 5 years. no issues whatsoever. Pretty easy maintenance. Grey color based.

ID love to use wallpaper - look nice with minimum effort, but it's the price.

My feature wall is thus 'bare'.... just paint - to save cost. Come to think of it, I don't entertain a lot, and don't intend to invite people to visit... .so don't have to do up condo akin 'show unit' :) - just need to be nice and practical

i think wallpaper gives a softer cosier feel as compared to painted walls. even with solid coloured wallpapers, the feel in the room is slightly different

i think wallpaper gives a softer cosier feel as compared to painted walls. even with solid coloured wallpapers, the feel in the room is slightly different

Deep down.... when $ is a little easy.... I will wallpaper some locations :)

Deep down.... when $ is a little easy.... I will wallpaper some locations :)

Yeah! Agree!

I'm going to paint first for now.... my good adviser told me could consider using laminate instead of wallpaper for part of the walls also.. Really look nice~ That will come later... :)

Paint is cheaper and easy to maintain. Wall paper looks nice, but expensive. But if have the money, why not :)

Agree with you; if you have the budget :D wallpaper can bring out the 'feel' or ambience to the room, which is limited by the solid colors of paints.

wallpaper is charged at few hundred bucks per wall panel, so count the number of wall panels that need wallpapering, that will be the amount. :o

I juz did wallpaper for my whole living n dining room.. Plus 1 wallpaper background for my another 2 room. It look really beautiful.. And the workmanship is fantastic ! Now my whole hse look so cozi and nice . Total Cost me ard $4000... Anyone who are interested to do, can pm me for the contact.. =)

I juz did wallpaper for my whole living n dining room.. Plus 1 wallpaper background for my another 2 room. It look really beautiful.. And the workmanship is fantastic ! Now my whole hse look so cozi and nice . Total Cost me ard $4000... Anyone who are interested to do, can pm me for the contact.. =)

Paint is better for older apartments, and wallpaper is nice for newer apartments.

If your apartment is old, the walls might have moisture which causes the wallpaper to stain. It will look very ugly. And this is even with me using a good brand like Goodrich.

No 1 rule for applying wallpaper, always do a coat of sealer first

Paint is better for older apartments, and wallpaper is nice for newer apartments.

If your apartment is old, the walls might have moisture which causes the wallpaper to stain. It will look very ugly. And this is even with me using a good brand like Goodrich.