Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Relocating & Adding Of Scv Points

Hi,

As above, starhub charges $107.00 to $155.15 (with GST) for every cable point installation http://www.starhub.com/support/tv/facts/otherscharges.html ... i know contractors typically quote cheaper, but what kind of cables are used? are they good grade coaxial cables (like Belden) or any cheap flexible cables?

Reason I'm asking, when my current house is first reno-ed, i specifically asked contractor to extend cable point to one of the rooms, but after which my maxonline connection is intermittent, and their technicians visited my place, measured very weak signals, concluded that extension TV point is not done by their appointed contractors. Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i juz called starhub yesterday, ans they gave me is, to relocate the point, it must b done by their installer. if we use our own contractor, and if there's any problem that arises, eg poor signal, they will not bear any responsibilities. likewise, if u r currently not a subscriber, and u "tempered" with the SCV point, starhub also reserve the rights not to perform the activation. Simply put, do it at ur own risk..

:o

I didn't know got such rule.

I ask my contractor to move 1 of the pt.

Don't care. Already move .. hahahaha

i juz called starhub yesterday, ans they gave me is, to relocate the point, it must b done by their installer. if we use our own contractor, and if there's any problem that arises, eg poor signal, they will not bear any responsibilities. likewise, if u r currently not a subscriber, and u "tempered" with the SCV point, starhub also reserve the rights not to perform the activation. Simply put, do it at ur own risk..

ok, so indeed they are upfront with disclaimer...

but if u were to inspect their splitters inside their box, most likely they give those cheap MIC "Regal" brand splitters with rather high-loss characteristics when the incoming signal is split into the TV and FM output.

as far as i know, received signal requirements for MOL is far stringent for cableTV. weak signal due to high-losses prevents stable data transmission, starhub is able to remotely measure the signal strength from the cable modem if a complaint is lodged due to intermittent BB connections

So I need to buy quality cables & splitters and pass to my contractor when rewiring...

ok, so indeed they are upfront with disclaimer...

but if u were to inspect their splitters inside their box, most likely they give those cheap MIC "Regal" brand splitters with rather high-loss characteristics when the incoming signal is split into the TV and FM output.

as far as i know, received signal requirements for MOL is far stringent for cableTV. weak signal due to high-losses prevents stable data transmission, starhub is able to remotely measure the signal strength from the cable modem if a complaint is lodged due to intermittent BB connections

So I need to buy quality cables & splitters and pass to my contractor when rewiring...

With opennet coming our way soon, do we still need starhub cable?

tat i can't comment much, onli can say if u check the schedule for opennet installation in fernvale vista, they do not have a confirmed date, only info given is it may be scheduled in 2012.. 2 years is quite long..

Is opennet up running liao?

Cable is up but service is not. ETA for service probably is 2012?

The commercial agreement is not finalized yet, IMO

my thinking is, even if OpenNet opens up a huge range of services, but at what cost and what is the acceptance level? traditional TVs still use centrally distributed CATV systems to work.

if it is the legacy POTS (Plain Old Telephone System), the emphasis is not so much, as i believe most pple own hp...and how much usage pple use their fixedline when communicating?

Edited by neubie

For those who need to install adidtional SCV points, most electrician just tap the signal from the existing point thus affecting the over signal quality.

For SCV contractor, if they found your inhouse signal strength is near their threshold, like they need to tap the signal from the junction box. I need someone here who has done up additional SCV point to confirm this.

For those who need to install adidtional SCV points, most electrician just tap the signal from the existing point thus affecting the over signal quality.

For SCV contractor, if they found your inhouse signal strength is near their threshold, like they need to tap the signal from the junction box. I need someone here who has done up additional SCV point to confirm this.

my place already has an additional TV point that was routed directly into the house from the cable box outside. had to drill a hole above the main door to get the cable thru. i continued using that point and will be using that point for my cable modem so i think should be no problem. but i relocated 2 points in my common rooms. MBR i'm using back the concealed point that came with the house

Mine done in Feb this year, 1st point free for new subscriber, 2nd one $107

1st point tap from the box outside. 2nd point on splitter.

My old house also SCV, both from outside, can't find any splitter box inside.

Then again, maybe the splitter may be in the outside box.

SCV claim that their black cable is the good type. They also show me the signal strength after installation.

My view, if not much price difference, better get the CSV, or wait for the promo.

Mine done in Feb this year, 1st point free for new subscriber, 2nd one $107

1st point tap from the box outside. 2nd point on splitter.

My old house also SCV, both from outside, can't find any splitter box inside.

Then again, maybe the splitter may be in the outside box.

SCV claim that their black cable is the good type. They also show me the signal strength after installation.

My view, if not much price difference, better get the CSV, or wait for the promo.

yes, i tink starhub's appointed contractor is DOST, they use quality Belden rigid coaxial cables for minimal signal losses...

For those point that install by SCV, will there be indication mark SCV on the box?

My house has SCV / telephone pt in every room by previous owner

For those point that install by SCV, will there be indication mark SCV on the box?

My house has SCV / telephone pt in every room by previous owner

there should be a sticker label that says this, so should be "authentic"