Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

my present roof with the previous heavy rains experienced leaks still occurring even after a repair done 1.5 years back. This is now a new leak area. the last big rain occurred had rain dripping in all over my study table and wetting my laptop.

I am now considering:

1/ replacing whole new roof - get it over and done with

2/ build a 3rd floor to house a new Master Bedroom (it was in the previous owner's design but was not carried through) with a new barrel roof

has anyone been through this process 1 and/or 2. Do i have to move out while the works are in progress and what is the

cost estimate for the works and how long will this take? Architect required? BCA approval? this is for a semi-d. help!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
my present roof with the previous heavy rains experienced leaks still occurring even after a repair done 1.5 years back. This is now a new leak area. the last big rain occurred had rain dripping in all over my study table and wetting my laptop.

I am now considering:

1/ replacing whole new roof - get it over and done with

2/ build a 3rd floor to house a new Master Bedroom (it was in the previous owner's design but was not carried through) with a new barrel roof

has anyone been through this process 1 and/or 2. Do i have to move out while the works are in progress and what is the

cost estimate for the works and how long will this take? Architect required? BCA approval? this is for a semi-d. help!

To build from a second storey to a third storey, it is likely to be a reconstruction. Yes, you definitely have to move out. Cost estimate would depend on your expectations (need the details of your construction materials, furnishings, may need to include water tank & pump if it is not already present, etc), the size of your construction area, etc...

The engineers and architect will need to study your current plan and make proposals to you. The price charged by different builders are also different. Some have higher overheads and some wish for higher margins. The usual submissions to authorities are required. As a rough estimate, be prepared to budget between $300K to $450K.

You can start by first approaching the previous builder to share your intentions and hear what he say. :)

To build from a second storey to a third storey, it is likely to be a reconstruction. Yes, you definitely have to move out. Cost estimate would depend on your expectations (need the details of your construction materials, furnishings, may need to include water tank & pump if it is not already present, etc), the size of your construction area, etc...

The engineers and architect will need to study your current plan and make proposals to you. The price charged by different builders are also different. Some have higher overheads and some wish for higher margins. The usual submissions to authorities are required. As a rough estimate, be prepared to budget between $300K to $450K.

You can start by first approaching the previous builder to share your intentions and hear what he say. :)

great insight.

this is mighty costly, a step further would be a total reconstruction of the house from scratch.

i will most likely scout for roof tiles/etc change. my better half prefers that we replace roof tiles and make good the provisioned 3rd floor(add tiles, bathroom, windows, skylight) as we need more space.

i will most likely scout for roof tiles/etc change. my better half prefers that we replace roof tiles and make good the provisioned 3rd floor(add tiles, bathroom, windows, skylight) as we need more space.

Might want to consider just decking over existing roof tiles with those aluminium colorbond roof sheets.

Much faster, and less hassle.

If u going to replace tiles, shd also put in the insulation + aluminium sheet as a heat deflector. The aluminium sheet acts as a second barrier against water seepage.

Might want to consider just decking over existing roof tiles with those aluminium colorbond roof sheets.

Much faster, and less hassle.

If u going to replace tiles, shd also put in the insulation + aluminium sheet as a heat deflector. The aluminium sheet acts as a second barrier against water seepage.

how can the aluminium sheet acts as a barrier against water seepage???? if water reaches the aluminium sheet, it is going to channel into your house right, even if it is at the walls, instead of dripping down the middle.

how can the aluminium sheet acts as a barrier against water seepage???? if water reaches the aluminium sheet, it is going to channel into your house right, even if it is at the walls, instead of dripping down the middle.

Most tiled roofs have overhang beyond the external walls.

I've read of aluminium sheets which are insulated already -- layer of bubbles in between the aluminium. Is such insulation sufficient? Or is it good to still have bulk insulation like rockwool in addition to this?