Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

A Meeting Of East And West In Tampines.

Hey RB!

Thanks for the info.

I'm still thinking where to place the projector to have minimal effect of image being blocked.

Currently, I'm looking at doing cove lighting for my living room and mounting the projector on the back wall, like yours.

However, doing the cove lighting, will somewhat lower the ceiling height ard the perimeter of the living room.

And ceiling mounting the projector within the cove lighting L-box perimeter sounds pretty silly too, as i'll be blocking the diffused lighting...

i'm thinking of changing to downlights instead... and ceiling-mounted projector... at least ceiling mounted.. it should be "higher" up, and less likely to block the images, if standing a little too close to the screen?

coz we are thinking of playing "Just Dance 2" on Wii... and it requires pretty big arm movements too... and with 4 people in the living room... chances of blocking the image... is higher...

:bangwall:

how to retain my cove lighting and still able to get a relatively unblocked image, when Wii gaming? hmmm...

It will be difficult.

Are having a ceiling fan ?

TBH I find a ceiling fan is much more of an issue playing those types of games than blocking the image.

As long as the people are near the projector rather than near the screen it should not be too bad. The odd hand or top of the head maybe. Really depends on your room though and the proposed cov lighting / down lights.

TBH if you are all waving you hands around and jumping about then you will get at least a little blocking unless you have a massive room with 3 meter high ceilings. Best you can do in minimise it. Another way would be to put the projector closer to the screen and the people behind the projector. How close the projector can go depends on the throw distance needed for your images size and the fact that you will have a projector in the middle of the ceiling or a better position may be in / on a coffee table. If in then make sure it has plenty of ventilation.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ooh, I know that bright blue light - it can be annoying when watching movies on a projector. I did use a sticker on one but like you, felt it was a shame because it's such a cute feature. Like how I am transfixed by the "magic eye" of the amp :P

Pity about the cables. Is a 12v trigger cable expensive? I got Better Cables Silver Serpent ones free with the SVS sub, and I know cables can be really pricey. At this point, I've lost track of how many HDMI cables I need, so am going to ask the KEC guy to bring several of the Audio Quest ones (cheaper - 3 for $190), then we'll pay as needed during installation. Media players, X-Box, PS3, SCV, receiver, blu-ray player etc. *head hurts* Going to be a challenge when I finally put it all together and set up the networking.

Also got the Onkyo 609 over the 608~ Do you think $200 is worth the upgrade? ><

-Ely

Well the cheap trigger cable seems to be working although the amp power light does not change colour or turn off to show it is in standby. Bit of a shame that....

RB

Well the cheap trigger cable seems to be working although the amp power light does not change colour or turn off to show it is in standby. Bit of a shame that....

RB

Pity, RB. :( Would a change of the cable fix that?

Still undecided about the 609 vs 608 due to the pre-outs and the limited 2-EQ Audyssey ability. Will definitely look into other cables if we want to supplement it for the 609 upgrade instead. Thanks for your valuable input.

- Ely

Pity, RB. :( Would a change of the cable fix that?

Still undecided about the 609 vs 608 due to the pre-outs and the limited 2-EQ Audyssey ability. Will definitely look into other cables if we want to supplement it for the 609 upgrade instead. Thanks for your valuable input.

- Ely

Your welcome Ely.

Not sure about the cable. The cable that came with it was mono but the stereo cable works as well. Really need to check with Rotel I guess. Their manual has next to no info about it.....

If you can get an amp with pre-outs it will give you a lot more options in the future and the advantage of the power amp is that you can upgrade the AVR as technology moves on but keep the superior power amp part. Getting a good power amp / speakers is like getting a good DSLR lens, the body may need upgrading from time to time but the lens just keeps on giving great results.

RB

Haha.

Austin Powers 3 disc set on BluRay only US$17.99..... Yeah baby.....Yeah.. :D.

Also got Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, Scooby Doo 1&2, Blade 2 and Clerks II. All for US$68 or about S$80 + delivery so around S$100 all in.

8 Blurays for S$100 :D. The Austin Powers is the 3 disc set and Scooby Doo is a 2 disc set.

Also have Quantum of Solace and Doc Hollywood (DVD as Bluray not out) on the way.

RB

brudder, shd ping me if u ordering from amazon, maybe can share the shipping cost :D

i'm still looking for inception blu-ray

Still can. Not reached my Borderlinx account yet.

RB

Well it seems people are updating their blogs quite a lot over the long weekend so I guess I should do the same.

I have finally got most of my network wiring done. Little bit of patching, 3 cables to terminate and 2 patch cables to make and I am all done. I do not like trunking :D.

I am selling my excess cable for S$1/mtr if anyone needs some network cable. I have around 150 mtrs left.

Our mirrors are up and look fine. Just waiting for a tap replacement, fix a wall socket in the kitchen, fix the plastic strip border between the living room and the balcony area (squeeks) repair to one of the kitchen cabinets which has a crack in the laminate, a little plaster patching and then the final paint touch-up.

I have added a couple more hard drives to my NAS and had a WD 1.5GB Green drive fail with bad sectors (3/4 of these have failed on me). Have just got the replacement. I will archive my 'not so important' stuff on it from now onwards.

To my surprise, a set of DVDs I ordered from Amazon appeared on Monday (May day). Wow, we had some more movies to watch.

Watched Tron last night with my new setup and the sound effects and music coming from everywhere is great. Strong use of the surround sound channels for music and sound effects.

My wife is now on week 32 so not long now until the projected date.

RB

Well it seems people are updating their blogs quite a lot over the long weekend so I guess I should do the same.

I have finally got most of my network wiring done. Little bit of patching, 3 cables to terminate and 2 patch cables to make and I am all done. I do not like trunking :D.

I am selling my excess cable for S$1/mtr if anyone needs some network cable. I have around 150 mtrs left.

Our mirrors are up and look fine. Just waiting for a tap replacement, fix a wall socket in the kitchen, fix the plastic strip border between the living room and the balcony area (squeeks) repair to one of the kitchen cabinets which has a crack in the laminate, a little plaster patching and then the final paint touch-up.

I have added a couple more hard drives to my NAS and had a WD 1.5GB Green drive fail with bad sectors (3/4 of these have failed on me). Have just got the replacement. I will archive my 'not so important' stuff on it from now onwards.

To my surprise, a set of DVDs I ordered from Amazon appeared on Monday (May day). Wow, we had some more movies to watch.

Watched Tron last night with my new setup and the sound effects and music coming from everywhere is great. Strong use of the surround sound channels for music and sound effects.

My wife is now on week 32 so not long now until the projected date.

RB

Ooh, congrats! Is it a boy/girl? :) Any pictures of upcoming nursery?

I've got Tron too, and can't wait to watch it on the new system! Just reformatted a laptop with Winamp Pro just to use it with the tube amp in the bedroom. Will be our browsing/music laptop ;) Somehow, the music sounds much better played from the computer than directly from the iPod.

I love ordering from Amazon direct - their shipping is super quick (save for my "Come with me Kitty" harness which has yet to arrive...but that comes from an outside vendor).

Few more weeks before movie night, RB! :)

-Ely

Ooh, congrats! Is it a boy/girl? :) Any pictures of upcoming nursery?

I've got Tron too, and can't wait to watch it on the new system! Just reformatted a laptop with Winamp Pro just to use it with the tube amp in the bedroom. Will be our browsing/music laptop ;) Somehow, the music sounds much better played from the computer than directly from the iPod.

I love ordering from Amazon direct - their shipping is super quick (save for my "Come with me Kitty" harness which has yet to arrive...but that comes from an outside vendor).

Few more weeks before movie night, RB! :)

-Ely

I have now more or less finished the trunking around the place. A couple of little 'fill' pieces to do in the study room and then the final painting can be done and hopefully the last of the small jobs can be done.

My wife is pushing for after the month confinement for a movie night and as she is due in around 4 weeks I suspect that will be what will happen. Will keep you updated.

Oh and the baby is another boy..... 3rd one. 3 weddings to plan for in the future :jawdrop::D.

RB

I have finally tidied up the cabling a bit in my study room, sorted out all the patch cables between the patch panel and switch so the look reasonable and have more or less completed all the trunking.

I will be able to get rid of my spare trunking, much to my wifes relief, and hopefully can sell off my 200mtrs of network cable and 4x2socket wall boxes I have spare.

We will be getting some more storage after my parents leave from their visit in July so we can then finally unpack the last boxes. I cleared another 5 yesterday but we still have 11 to go with nowhere to put the stuff (apart from the rubbish cute). Quite a lot got thrown away and some boxes were better repacked.

So,

Reno complete in the next couple of weeks hopefully,

Baby due anytime after Thursday,

Parents visiting at the end of this month for 1 month.

We have a wooden cot bed which my BiL was using for his older son but no longer needs. We will use that for the new one along with a sarong. I just have to collect it and rebuild it.

Oh, we have one of the 3M super mops for laminated floors. It has a bar of sponge and the pad slots in to place on the bottom of the mop handle. There is also a handle which squeezes the two ends together to squeeze the water out of the sponge bar. I cannot for the life of me use this without the sponge bar falling off. It is great as there is very little water so the mopping should not damage the floor but if the sponge bar falls off every couple of swipes on the floor then it really is not much use. Any ideas if I am doing some n00b mistake in my bar mop handling skills ;).

Played the IMAX Fighter Pilot - red flag show on the projector last night. Great picture, great sound. Show is a little old now but still very good. I have lots of the IMAX shows now. Need to watch some more tonight.

RB

Busy time again.

Hello RB, now I see the post you talk abt your 3rd son. Well, seldom come here cos don't understand a single bit abt all the technical stuff Abt comp and hifi, hts, speakers etc.

I read till I gave up.... That's why seldom read your posts. Hehe....

Hello RB, now I see the post you talk abt your 3rd son. Well, seldom come here cos don't understand a single bit abt all the technical stuff Abt comp and hifi, hts, speakers etc.

I read till I gave up.... That's why seldom read your posts. Hehe....

Haha, you need to skim over the technical bits I think or maybe I should quote them "For Techies", "For normal people" and "For people who are not bothered" :D.

Maybe I should follow Ely and just put up pics of nice things ;).

RB

Haha, you need to skim over the technical bits I think or maybe I should quote them "For Techies", "For normal people" and "For people who are not bothered" :D.

Maybe I should follow Ely and just put up pics of nice things ;).

RB

When 90% are tech stuff then difficult to skim through.

Pics are always nicer than words. :)

When 90% are tech stuff then difficult to skim through.

Pics are always nicer than words. :)

Yeah I hear you. Still looking for my Nikon camera though. Still not surfaced but still have a few boxes to unpack :D .

RB