Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

A Meeting Of East And West In Tampines.

Hi RimBlock!

Thanks for inviting me & my fiancee over for a house visit last weekend!

Actually, more like my persistent "self-invite"... :P

Anyway, we really appreciate your time to share with us your experience, some after-thoughts and DIY tips for the EM renovation.

It gives us a better idea of how we might do up the kitchen and wash area and also some practical advice to take note of.

And I've finally seen your projector setup! It's awesome, and I've managed to "convince" my fiancee to get it. :D but have to check out budget first. :P

And seeing how you have placed your storage heater has also given me an alternative location to place the water heater, which I was initially pondering over; BUT we might need to check the ceiling height again (coz your unit is at the top floor and has a higher ceiling); whether it's sufficient to squeeze in a storage heater there. :P

After your long explanation of the work involved in your DIY laying of LAN cables and trunking, I think I'll abort the idea of doing it myself. It seems like so much work... :bangwall:

You really have a great place (it's so near to tampines mall, MRT, etc!); so convenient and accessible! And I'm sure it will be really homely and cosy once it's all done up. I hope your renovation will finish soon and smoothly. And may you and your family have a fantastic time staying there, until you have other plans (maybe going back to Britain in 10 yrs' time? :P)

All the best for your renovation!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi RimBlock!

Thanks for inviting me & my fiancee over for a house visit last weekend!

Actually, more like my persistent "self-invite"... :P

Anyway, we really appreciate your time to share with us your experience, some after-thoughts and DIY tips for the EM renovation.

It gives us a better idea of how we might do up the kitchen and wash area and also some practical advice to take note of.

And I've finally seen your projector setup! It's awesome, and I've managed to "convince" my fiancee to get it. :D but have to check out budget first. :P

And seeing how you have placed your storage heater has also given me an alternative location to place the water heater, which I was initially pondering over; BUT we might need to check the ceiling height again (coz your unit is at the top floor and has a higher ceiling); whether it's sufficient to squeeze in a storage heater there. :P

After your long explanation of the work involved in your DIY laying of LAN cables and trunking, I think I'll abort the idea of doing it myself. It seems like so much work... :bangwall:

You really have a great place (it's so near to tampines mall, MRT, etc!); so convenient and accessible! And I'm sure it will be really homely and cosy once it's all done up. I hope your renovation will finish soon and smoothly. And may you and your family have a fantastic time staying there, until you have other plans (maybe going back to Britain in 10 yrs' time? :P)

All the best for your renovation!

Thanks, it was nice to meet the two of you as well and the cakes were very tasty :D .

Happy to share. We still have a bit of work to do on our side as well as the final parts of the reno work. It will be nice when it is all over. Might finally be able to unpack all the boxes ;) .

The two of you look great together and many best wishes for your future in your new EM with each other. Remember, with an EM there are many rooms to hide in if she starts nagging a bit too much :good: .

RB

What an interesting read - Glad I stopped by, RB :)

Will be following your progress - poms poms and all.

-Ely

What an interesting read - Glad I stopped by, RB :)

Will be following your progress - poms poms and all.

-Ely

Haha, wait till you see my new surround sound speakers. With the speaker holds dark on the white cover, just need to add a bit of hair and red swirls and I will have two Billys (the puppet from the SAW films) looking down on us :o .....

Strangle my wife has not commented on the marks. Oh well, they are features :).

RB

took awhile to catch up since my last read at your tblog.

must had been an exciting time eh.

The tiles have arrived

IMAG0239.jpg

MBR Shower

IMAG0271.jpg

those tiles.................. they're really beautiful!!! stunning i must say

IMG_7080.jpg

With projector screen down.

IMG_7082.jpg

i'm looking for a simple HTS setup in my games room too. but seems like cost is a big consideration for me. g

ood to have some reference here!

took awhile to catch up since my last read at your tblog.

must had been an exciting time eh.

Busy time, that is for sure. My wife is now on the third trimester. Not so long now until we get the new addition.

The living room has changed quite a lot with the speakers at the front on stands and the rears changed. I must take some more pictures. The kitchen worktop is in as well.

Just on the last stages with correcting little issues and touchups.

those tiles.................. they're really beautiful!!! stunning i must say

Thanks, we like them a lot too and it was not until recently we realised they have sparkles in them too which catch the light.

i'm looking for a simple HTS setup in my games room too. but seems like cost is a big consideration for me. g

ood to have some reference here!

Have a look at the 'Decent sound system thread' as there is lots of lively debate in there :D.

RB

Your TV Console is very nice. Where did you get it from and how much if you don't mind :D

The console was from Green Furnishing in the Tanjong Katong Complex by Payar Lebar MRT. We hot the coffee table and sofas from the same place around 3 years ago.

Sorry, I have no idea of price but it was the one thing I insisted on when we bought it as I liked it very much :) .

RB

The console was from Green Furnishing in the Tanjong Katong Complex by Payar Lebar MRT. We hot the coffee table and sofas from the same place around 3 years ago.

Sorry, I have no idea of price but it was the one thing I insisted on when we bought it as I liked it very much :) .

RB

Yes, it's nice and also practical.

My ikea tv console (repurposed from sideboard) is not very deep. Once my 2nd hand receiver is in with all the cables, the doors can't be closed.

I want to take out the doors but over-ruled by the lady of the house ...

Busy time, that is for sure. My wife is now on the third trimester. Not so long now until we get the new addition.

The living room has changed quite a lot with the speakers at the front on stands and the rears changed. I must take some more pictures. The kitchen worktop is in as well.

Just on the last stages with correcting little issues and touchups.

my congrats. yea, busy but productive i must say

looking forward to more pics then

Thanks, we like them a lot too and it was not until recently we realised they have sparkles in them too which catch the light.

oh yes, sparkles, i spotted them.

did i mention that i really like it a lot? ha

Have a look at the 'Decent sound system thread' as there is lots of lively debate in there :D.

tks for the heads up.

surely a library for me. ha

my congrats. yea, busy but productive i must say

looking forward to more pics then

In all reality I think the weekend is the earliest I will be able to take them. I will try earlier but my phone is broken and my D-SLR takes a bit of work getting setup and then sorting the pictures for putting on the internet. My compact cameras are either packed or their chargers are :(

tks for the heads up.

surely a library for me. ha

If you need some ideas then just ask here or PM me.

I may even put a thread together to partner the HiFi one and others can post their setups to give some different views and choices as one size does not fit all :) .

Yes, it's nice and also practical.

My ikea tv console (repurposed from sideboard) is not very deep. Once my 2nd hand receiver is in with all the cables, the doors can't be closed.

I want to take out the doors but over-ruled by the lady of the house ...

Form over function. Your wife does not happen to own any Apple products does she (*ducks*).....

Probably better to have the doors open. My amp gets quite hot and that is on top of the cabinet with the ceiling fan going.

RB

Form over function. Your wife does not happen to own any Apple products does she (*ducks*).....

Probably better to have the doors open. My amp gets quite hot and that is on top of the cabinet with the ceiling fan going.

RB

No Apple products yet, Android fans in the house. Although it might change as I'm itching with ipad2 :D

1 day i will tidy up the cables and suddenly take the doors out. Hope she won't be surprised .. zz

Well it has been so long that people could be forgiven for believing the renovation is over ..... but, no. Still some stuff to get sorted out.

Most of the plastering issues have been fixed, a couple of places were missed. The lightbox on the stairs still needs finishing. If anyone has one I would love to see what your ID did to finish off the top and bottom edges. Mirrors still need to arrive and my network cable still needs running behind the light box.

I have taken a couple of pictures of the kitchen with the worktop installed and of my new side speakers for the home theatre setup. I forgot to take the shots of the front speakers on their stands though. I will try to remember tonight. I may pop down to KEC at luunchtime to get a bit more Chord Carnival so I can bi-amp my front speakers.

I also have some image sample pics at home which I will share hopefully tonight.

Kitchen with my good lady wife :). She was not so keen at being in the photo so imagine her response at the photos going on the internet. Shhh, don't worry, it will be our little secret ;) .

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

Edited by RimBlock

Our new surround speakers.

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

They are that strange shape as they have two sets of drivers in and fire in two different directions giving a less direct sound and creating a bigger sound field than normal speaker which would just fire the sound directly at you and which your brain would be able to locate as coming from a single place. I am very happy with them, they really work as advertised.

Due to the white cover and the collection of dues at the places the speakers are located under the cloth cover there are some darker circles. I am reting to find the best way to get rid of it (shoe white maybe :D ) but as they are they remind me of an early morning breakfast show I used to watch in the UK called The Big Breakfast hosted by a DJ who had a reputation for being a bit wild and wacky. The show was noisy, colourful, loud and 'in your face'. It was charged with energy and some of that was meant to transfer to the views and get them going in the morning. The show had two puppets called Zigg and Zag who were teenage space aliens (yep, I think you can see the level of the show). The speakers remind me of them...

Zigg and Zag

zigandzag.png

Bit of trivia for you (all links below are U rated - viewable by everyone and suitable to view from work if allowed to browse)..

The Big Breakfast initial presenter, Chris Evens went on to marry the singer Billie Piper (thay later divorced) who had a little success with a couple of top 10 Uk hits. She then went on to play the role of Rose Tyler in Doctor Who (2005 - Series 1 & 2 with cameos in series 4) before going on to star in the mini series for UK tv called Secret Diary of a Call Girl which was based on Belle De Jours "The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl", a memoir detailing the life of a high-class prostitute. The books and TV show deal with the aloneness of the profession and coping with normal relationships much more than the 'naughtier' side. Just as an aside, Belle (Brooke Magnanti) holds a Masters degree and an BSc. The show was no worse than the Chinese tabloids here. So all you Doctor Who fans who liked Rose Tyler (she was the highest rated doctors companion) can get to see her in her underwear (if should so wish too) ;). Not me though cos I'm, like, married and it would not be appropriate or something like that mam :D.

Oh and I got a new phone finally...

My HTC HD2 broke when I dropped it 5ft onto a concrete floor so I finaly got this -> HTC Incredible S.

Pretty happy so far. Finally installed Angry Birds and now my 3 year old is fighting with me to fire the birds at the piggies :D.

A bit easier to take casual update shots too.

RB