Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

A Meeting Of East And West In Tampines.

And so cosmic Kama strikes again.

As some of you may be aware, there is now a Sound and Vision forum which was kindly created after I requested it to try and split some questions out of a single thread dedicated to HiFi / Home Cinema.

Whilst I am not in anyway an audiophile, I do appreciate decent quality music and home theater. As you have seen, I have upgraded and bought a projector, my single best purchase since buying a computer, and am loving it. Since selling my old surround sound system and amplifier I found myself missing my subwoofer and as money is tight decided to sell my photographic equipment.

As people who have been following this thread from the beginning may remember, I used to love doing portrait photography for a hobby in the UK but since marring my wife, have found myself not really using the equipment to a point where it just felt like a waste. I therefore decided to put it up for sale and utilize the proceeds in making the home theater a bit better. A new subwoofer, a new center speaker and maybe a new power amp for the front speakers to improve the music ability.

Well after looking at EBay (UK as there was nothing really to compare on Singapore EBay) I got a rough price and put an avert in a Singapore photo website. Within 5 minutes of posting the kit was reserved for sale at the asking price for inspection and collection that night.

I was shocked, had 7 more sms/calls and began to think I had put it all up too cheap.

I finally got home, sorted everything out, got a message they were on there way when karma struck. Power cut in the apartment. Power circuits tripped outside the flat. I turned them on and bang, loud noise and burning smell from the power extension my main home computer is plugged in to. I unplugged the extension lead and tried again with no problems. Plugged the lead in again and sparks between the socket and plug and bang, no power again.

After a bit of frantic sorting, I narrowed it down to the main computer plug. I swapped leads and the power stayed on when I plugged it in ut the computer would not start. Turns out the PSU for the computer had blown.

The gentlemen came and after inspection bought the camera and equipment which gave me a nice little sum for my proposed upgrades.

After a dig around on Xtememplace, I found a center speaker. Top of the range Wharfedale speaker but the previous revision. Asking 1k, managed to get it for S$850. It is beautifully built but really pretty big.

I also went to KEC in the Adelphi and listened to some subwoofers around the 1.2k-1.3k budget. I have written up a report in the Sound and vision forum here.

So now I have a subwoofer and a new center speaker. I sold my old center speaker to another member here who was interested and so am now just looking for the power amp within budget. The ones I like are very popular and another forum member is probably / already has bought the one on sale second hand. A new one imported from the US (they do not sell via shops, internet sales only) is just over 1.1K (three channel) or 1.4K (5 channel). Both more or less on the border of the remaining cash. Gotta think about this. ALso there is a nifty device called an Antimode which will sample the sound characteristics of your room for bass and adjust the signal going to you subwoofer in order to tailor it for your room. By all accounts, the results are pretty good. A couple are available on Xtrememplace for S$400 but on contacting the distributor in Singapore, they are only S$480 new. I may get one of these but that would put the power amps out of the picture.

Choices, choices.

To be honest the home cinema is great. The music side now feels a bit lacking but is still fairly good. A power amp may correct this and improve the home cinema a bit more but there is a chance that changing the main front speakers is really the only way forward and if I did that, I would likely need to spend more than the remaining money to improve.

Photos hopefully tomorrow as I will have the flat to myself for completing the network cable trunking.

RB

Wow, RB. Can't wait to see your new set-up! Already envious you have a projector but really decided not to spend anymore on the HTS, perhaps an upgrade in the future (wayyyyyy future). Would love to see how you do your trunking.

I've stopped photography for a long time though we have a decent DSLR but I simply use my point-and-shoot. However, I still own my first Pentax SLR and my Lomos and these will go on display for their "antique" value haha.

-Ely

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

A few quick phone camera shots (my Nikon P6000 is still packed..... somewhere :D )

The broken door handle before I replaced it.

IMAG0021.jpg

The networking hub (needs a bit of a tidy after I have finished my final run and completed the upstairs trunking.

IMAG0079.jpg

A better desk for the study area. Yep need to tidy there too. Require some more storage.

IMAG0080.jpg

The New HT setup.

IMAG0081.jpg

The new center speaker is a beast....

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

And the new subwoofer.

IMAG0083.jpg

Off to take a look at a Rotel RB1582 stereo amp this afternoon. Well regarded, going pretty cheap by new prices and only a couple of months old apparently.

Info here.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Wow, RB. Can't wait to see your new set-up! Already envious you have a projector but really decided not to spend anymore on the HTS, perhaps an upgrade in the future (wayyyyyy future). Would love to see how you do your trunking.

I've stopped photography for a long time though we have a decent DSLR but I simply use my point-and-shoot. However, I still own my first Pentax SLR and my Lomos and these will go on display for their "antique" value haha.

-Ely

The projector is just so cool. I fear we will be up for a new bulb far too soon ;).

I found that having the 5D and two very active kids makes life pretty difficult. Having bought the Nikon P6000 (the Canon G11 was not available at the time) I find I use that a lot more now. Exploring the world as a single person or even as a pair then a D-SLR can be great but when the kids come it becomes so much more difficult.

Not regretting the decision although there was definitely a sadness on selling.

RB

The New HT setup.

IMAG0081.jpg

The new center speaker is a beast....

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

And the new subwoofer.

IMAG0083.jpg

Off to take a look at a Rotel RB1582 stereo amp this afternoon. Well regarded, going pretty cheap by new prices and only a couple of months old apparently.

Info here.

RB

Mmmm, very nice. Love the center speaker! Looks awesome!

How did the amp go?

-Ely

RB when you inviting us over for movie night? Hehehe I think all you are missing is a popcorn machine - which I think ely can find on eBay for you :)

I like the deign of your gate and staircase light box. Is it wrought iron? Which vendor did you use and how much is the cost? Thanks.

Ok, I have half the info for you. The gate is wrought iron and cost around S$380. My wife knows who supplied it and fired off the name to me but as I was not at the computer and had no pen or paper handy I failed to record it. I will try to get it again tonight.

RB

Mmmm, very nice. Love the center speaker! Looks awesome!

How did the amp go?

-Ely

Well wouldn't you know it, just after taking the photos the setup has changed again.....

I bought the Rotel amp. Took it home, wired it up and it is very nice. The musical side of things seems to be much improved now. As it is a stereo amp it only powers the left and right fronts but they sound a lot better playing music. Only issue is that the 12v trigger lead is too short and looks like it has been nibbled (they had rabbits as we used to and it looks like a rabbit bite mark). It comes with the original receipt and so I got around 250 off the new price for a unit that is run in and only a couple of months old. The standard rule of thumb with power amps is that if they survive the first month then they run for years.

The best addition so far is the subwoofer though. It just changes so many things and not just the deep bass levels.

If someone has a stereo system or a free surround sound system and is finding it hard to understand what people are saying in the films then they should change their center speaker. Not to a big expensive one but just changing to an entry level speaker from someone like Wharfedale will have a big effect. After that get a subwoofer. They are not cheap but some second hand ones are usually floating around and that will make a massive change if you get a reasonable one. From then they can decide if they wish to go further.

For me, I am at my plateau where the cost of improvement now starts to out weigh the gains.

RB when you inviting us over for movie night? Hehehe I think all you are missing is a popcorn machine - which I think ely can find on eBay for you :)

Will have to check that one out with the wife ;). Might need to bring some cushions though as we have limited seating (although plenty of floor space). We do have an inflatable double air bed that can be used for seating though. Suggesting a good movie we have not watched yet may improve the chances though :D.

Oh and for another recommendation for a demo disc, I tried Band of Brothers bluray Ep2. If you get the speaking for the pre-episode interviews to a good level then when the episode starts the noise of the planes carrying the soldiers to France (from Britain for the WW2 D-Day offensive) is just stunning. All together this is a fantastic scene if you can play it up high.

RB

Ha, hafiizh you're a funny guy!

Fo shizzle ma nizzle:

rhp-310.jpg - $29 on eBay :P

-Ely

Well wouldn't you know it, just after taking the photos the setup has changed again.....

I bought the Rotel amp. Took it home, wired it up and it is very nice. The musical side of things seems to be much improved now. As it is a stereo amp it only powers the left and right fronts but they sound a lot better playing music. Only issue is that the 12v trigger lead is too short and looks like it has been nibbled (they had rabbits as we used to and it looks like a rabbit bite mark). It comes with the original receipt and so I got around 250 off the new price for a unit that is run in and only a couple of months old. The standard rule of thumb with power amps is that if they survive the first month then they run for years.

The best addition so far is the subwoofer though. It just changes so many things and not just the deep bass levels.

If someone has a stereo system or a free surround sound system and is finding it hard to understand what people are saying in the films then they should change their center speaker. Not to a big expensive one but just changing to an entry level speaker from someone like Wharfedale will have a big effect. After that get a subwoofer. They are not cheap but some second hand ones are usually floating around and that will make a massive change if you get a reasonable one. From then they can decide if they wish to go further.

For me, I am at my plateau where the cost of improvement now starts to out weigh the gains.

Will have to check that one out with the wife ;). Might need to bring some cushions though as we have limited seating (although plenty of floor space). We do have an inflatable double air bed that can be used for seating though. Suggesting a good movie we have not watched yet may improve the chances though :D.

Oh and for another recommendation for a demo disc, I tried Band of Brothers bluray Ep2. If you get the speaking for the pre-episode interviews to a good level then when the episode starts the noise of the planes carrying the soldiers to France (from Britain for the WW2 D-Day offensive) is just stunning. All together this is a fantastic scene if you can play it up high.

RB

That sounds like a pretty good deal. My new Usher speakers need about 100hrs to run in, so constantly playing them now (this is of course the most rational excuse to play music constantly at inhuman decibel levels). Take new pics of your set up! We upgraded the center speaker from the 10.CC to the 10.CS Wharfedale for an additional $50 so I think that's pretty worth it. Can't wait to try the SVS PC-12 Ultra sub though with Band of Brothers or Star Wars' pod racing scene! I love deep bassy sounds, but am appreciating the naturalness and clarity of the MP-5 tube amp. It's made for acoustic music and over a glass of wine at night, it does feel like you've invited Eric Clapton in the bedroom. :)

-Ely

That sounds like a pretty good deal. My new Usher speakers need about 100hrs to run in, so constantly playing them now (this is of course the most rational excuse to play music constantly at inhuman decibel levels). Take new pics of your set up! We upgraded the center speaker from the 10.CC to the 10.CS Wharfedale for an additional $50 so I think that's pretty worth it. Can't wait to try the SVS PC-12 Ultra sub though with Band of Brothers or Star Wars' pod racing scene! I love deep bassy sounds, but am appreciating the naturalness and clarity of the MP-5 tube amp. It's made for acoustic music and over a glass of wine at night, it does feel like you've invited Eric Clapton in the bedroom. :)

-Ely

Just out of interest, did you demo the sb12 or the pb12 as well as the pc12 ?

The upgrade on the center speaker was a good choice IMO. Certainly for HT, spend on center and sub and you wont go too far wrong. Don't scrimp too much on the others but they will make the most impact.

I put the setup on for my BiL who helped me collect the amp and he was suitably impressed with the music even though I have no idea of his musical tastes. Maybe another convert to Nickleback :D.

Ok, my good lady wife is fine with a movie night. Would suggest a bring snacks and drinks type arrangement.

Suggestions for dates ...

Suggestions for movie / movies ...

Any other suggestions ...

One proviso is that you have to take us as we come as with two screaming kids, the place is rarely in pristine condition :P.

RB

Just out of interest, did you demo the sb12 or the pb12 as well as the pc12 ?

The upgrade on the center speaker was a good choice IMO. Certainly for HT, spend on center and sub and you wont go too far wrong. Don't scrimp too much on the others but they will make the most impact.

I put the setup on for my BiL who helped me collect the amp and he was suitably impressed with the music even though I have no idea of his musical tastes. Maybe another convert to Nickleback :D.

Ok, my good lady wife is fine with a movie night. Would suggest a bring snacks and drinks type arrangement.

Suggestions for dates ...

Suggestions for movie / movies ...

Any other suggestions ...

One proviso is that you have to take us as we come as with two screaming kids, the place is rarely in pristine condition :P.

RB

We got the PC 12 sub from XP so we didn't audition it with the other SVSs - the only ones we auditioned before were the Velodynes at KEC. It seemed okay for $750 so we took it on the spot. Not so thrilled at the size but hoping its performance would compensate for its jarring presence.

- Ely

We got the PC 12 sub from XP so we didn't audition it with the other SVSs - the only ones we auditioned before were the Velodynes at KEC. It seemed okay for $750 so we took it on the spot. Not so thrilled at the size but hoping its performance would compensate for its jarring presence.

- Ely

S$750 is a nice price to be sure with the new ones coming in at 1.4k. I am guessing you have the older 350W amp in it (new ones are updated to the 400W sledge amp now) ?. I would have probably gone for it if I had the cash at the time and it was not bought by you :P.

I am sure you will find it great, a bargain at the price and hopefully the room can defuse some of the pressure it puts out, unless of course you like that which some do :D.

RB

S$750 is a nice price to be sure with the new ones coming in at 1.4k. I am guessing you have the older 350W amp in it (new ones are updated to the 400W sledge amp now) ?. I would have probably gone for it if I had the cash at the time and it was not bought by you :P.

I am sure you will find it great, a bargain at the price and hopefully the room can defuse some of the pressure it puts out, unless of course you like that which some do :D.

RB

Pretty certain they're the older ones. The new ones have 525W BASH amp.

These are mine:

5534942940_0f1b864421.jpg

Oh maan, I'm sure your wife would have freaked if you'd managed to haul the 68lbs giant home. I was just staring at it in the backseat in disbelief that I could possibly own one of these things.

Most of the stuff on XP move really quick. We auditioned a pair of 8 yr-old Monitor Audios recently but we picked the Ushers over it because I simply could not accept more floor standing speakers!! Got them brand new at $550 so pretty entry-level but adequate. The Yamaha display set at Harvey Norman was going for slightly over $1k and we couldn't afford that :(

I'm sooooo looking forward to watching Dark City and Apocalypse Now (chopper scene) for the deep bassy scenes!! Maybe a movie night over at my place too! :)

-Ely