Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
z_zhihong81

Fs For My Resale Flat

Good day,

I'm going to get my resale flat's key late this month and plan to do some reno on my toilet and kitchen first. (budget issue)

What are the things do i need to look out for?

I will like to invit a FSM for a house audit. Anyone have good recommdation?

Thanks very much.

Zhihong

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Good day,

I'm going to get my resale flat's key late this month and plan to do some reno on my toilet and kitchen first. (budget issue)

What are the things do i need to look out for?

I will like to invit a FSM for a house audit. Anyone have good recommdation?

Thanks very much.

Zhihong

Hi,

For resale flat, please check with your downstairs neighbour if there is any existing ceiling leaks to their unit? If so, need to pay attention & get extra coat of waterproofing. My advice is not to hack the floor tiles, just relay new tiles over existing old tiles for old flats.

For FSM, get one who offers geniune audit service without asking you to buy this and that from them (trinkets, ornaments, crystals, etc). You can read more from this forum.

Hi,

For resale flat, please check with your downstairs neighbour if there is any existing ceiling leaks to their unit? If so, need to pay attention & get extra coat of waterproofing. My advice is not to hack the floor tiles, just relay new tiles over existing old tiles for old flats.

For FSM, get one who offers geniune audit service without asking you to buy this and that from them (trinkets, ornaments, crystals, etc). You can read more from this forum.

My God! Just overlay? Need to hack away old & new overlay in no time.!Pay double + time loss + stress.

Edited by godloveyou

I strongly agree with mae29's suggestion that u try to do an overlay of new tiles on the existing ones to avoid hacking. A professional renovator should be able to assess suitability for overlaying & recommend accordingly.

Nowadays, many people chose overlaying of new tiles for both kitchens & toilets. While I was scouting around for a renovator for alterations in my flat recently, this seems to be the prevailing trend. Some renovators would even tell me that they will turn down the job if hacking is required!

U save cost with overlaying and chances of post-renovation problems (with flooring) r very low if the workmanship is good. At least, u wouldn't run a risk of getting a bad kickstart with ur neighbours down stairs when their ceiling started leaking as a result of your re-tiling.

Edited by edenstrauss

I strongly agree with mae29's suggestion that u try to do an overlay of new tiles on the existing ones to avoid hacking. A professional renovator should be able to assess suitability for overlaying & recommend accordingly.

Nowadays, many people chose overlaying of new tiles for both kitchens & toilets. While I was scouting around for a renovator for alterations in my flat recently, this seems to be the prevailing trend. Some renovators would even tell me that they will turn down the job if hacking is required!

U save cost with overlaying and chances of post-renovation problems (with flooring) r very low if the workmanship is good. At least, u wouldn't run a risk of getting a bad kickstart with ur neighbours down stairs when their ceiling started leaking as a result of your re-tiling.

1. May I know the names of reno firms who turn down jobs(flooring) if hacking is required?

2. Care to name one or 2 who did "overlay" at tiolets? I wish to pay them a visit.

Edited by godloveyou

Thanks guys... will take note.. :)

Don't save the money for hacking tiles in tiolet.

Reno firms want to avoid apply permit thus recommending overlay to save....

Water will trap at edges of walls and went in between the 2 layers and ...floor trap area is the most concern, water seeps through cement, pvc pipe and down to your underneath neighbour's tiolet ceiling...

Edited by godloveyou

Don't save the money for hacking tiles in tiolet.

Reno firms want to avoid apply permit thus recommending overlay to save....

Water will trap at edges of walls and went in between the 2 layers and ...floor trap area is the most concern, water seeps through cement, pvc pipe and down to your underneath neighbour's tiolet ceiling...

Ok.. So for toilet, the tiles have to hack... kitchen ok to over lay?

Ok.. So for toilet, the tiles have to hack... kitchen ok to over lay?

Best to hack for tiolet. For kitchen, not sure if the weight for the additional layer will be allowed. My balcony was made flush with hall's floor, contractor put solid "foam" in between, claiming full solid cement would be too heavy.

Best to hack for tiolet. For kitchen, not sure if the weight for the additional layer will be allowed. My balcony was made flush with hall's floor, contractor put solid "foam" in between, claiming full solid cement would be too heavy.

Noted. Thanks thanks... FS and reno is my biggest headache... hahhahahaha....

FS master ID too many to choose.... some say good... the others say bad... I have no idea....

Is feng shui really that important to you?

Even before a kickstart into your new home, u r already feeling troubled & boggled over who to engage for audits.

If it isn't mandatory from your perspective, then just go ahead and renovate without any fengshui audits for your flat. That's if you are prepared to take the risk.

There are people who don't engage or adopt any fengshui cures even though they r putting up in supposedly homes with bad fengshui and they do well too. So it really depends on yourself. Your luck as well.

Edited by edenstrauss

Noted. Thanks thanks... FS and reno is my biggest headache... hahhahahaha....

FS master ID too many to choose.... some say good... the others say bad... I have no idea....

FS is also human. He / she cannot be perfect in everything. Ask yourself these 2 basic questions :

a) you want classical fs : meaning no fs objects will be sold eg you do according to fs measurements at the start of renovation, etc

b) you want non-classical fs : meaning fs ask you to place fs objects (i mean inexpensive objects).

The forum here has 2 school of thoughts, as i m just a consumer like you (no fs background), it is quite difficult to choose from which schools of thoughts.

Another question you can ask yourself is "are u choosing a one-time fs service only, which means yearly audit - u wish to ignore completely" ? Again no right/wrong answer.

To be frank , you sometimes have to pay for a few geomancers until you get things right. This way, you realise which fs you can trust completely. My personal experience shows that i do pay for a few geomancers until one is chosen. Note that this is always an on-going process of "selection". Who does not want the best and pay one-time only ? I also want ...but in tthis world, there are always imperfect information.