Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
amyznl

Confused Over Which Id/contractor To Select

hi peers! those starting reno, my personal opinion is that you should spend more time reading t-blogs rather than other topics like [Renovation Firms and Services]. Reason being t-blogs are posted by real owners with pics and their daily activities /encounters with the IDs of any firms. But other threads in [Renovation Firms and Services] can be easily self-posted by fake owners which is soooo common.

my sims dr 5i reno by SDS is only 34k, excluding electirical work, windows, doors and glass work. before i sign with my id, we went down to expo for a final comparison of quotations with my ID's one. to my surprise, there are soooo many IDs hanging ard the booth trying to hard sell.

The first question that comes to my mind. how the h.e.l.l. can these IDs afford to spend 4 luxury days here when those renotalk recommended IDs /contractors) are nearly dying from over-stretched in their time. My thinking is... if these nicely dressed IDs are good, shouldn't they be also busy tied up with managing their con-current projects and simply have no time for idling here for 4 days? hmmmm... hope u guys get my point.

As i tried my luck to enquire them (5 of them from different booths) on my scale of reno, all gave me the same impression:

1. hard-selling by asking u to sign before the expo promotion is over. -_-! dude, i am talking abt a 40k to 60k project and these people are machiam selling thumbdrives in IT shows. minus point!

2. they are not knowledgeable in their field. As i probed for cost per ft for carpentry, tilling work and etc etc, they couldn't give me the pricing off their mind. some eve need to refer to their nice nice hand folder to flip to the right pages of the brouchers to find the anwsers...

3. impatient and restless. when they knew that i have did my homework before asking them on their promotional packages, they began to act impatiently and just wanted to put me off, so that they can go find other poosible carrot heads to chop.

in a short 30mins walk around the expo hall, my conclusion is that expo reno exhibi is definitely a BIG no-no avenue for me to come back again to find IDs. their booths and show rooms are nice, but that doesnt mean your reno will be like that. well, this is only my experience and opinion. :sport-smiley-018:

Totally agree. Thats why i decided to do my own house and find separate contractors. It was tiring. However, very time consuming.

I just read your T-blog. Really good choice of laminates!

I wonder y I did not see any of those in my laminate brands. In the end, my house all types of laminates in the brown tones.

If anyone needs my contractor contacts, jus email me at lynd3ralla@yahoo.com

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hi peers! those starting reno, my personal opinion is that you should spend more time reading t-blogs rather than other topics like [Renovation Firms and Services]. Reason being t-blogs are posted by real owners with pics and their daily activities /encounters with the IDs of any firms. But other threads in [Renovation Firms and Services] can be easily self-posted by fake owners which is soooo common.

my sims dr 5i reno by SDS is only 34k, excluding electirical work, windows, doors and glass work. before i sign with my id, we went down to expo for a final comparison of quotations with my ID's one. to my surprise, there are soooo many IDs hanging ard the booth trying to hard sell.

The first question that comes to my mind. how the h.e.l.l. can these IDs afford to spend 4 luxury days here when those renotalk recommended IDs /contractors) are nearly dying from over-stretched in their time. My thinking is... if these nicely dressed IDs are good, shouldn't they be also busy tied up with managing their con-current projects and simply have no time for idling here for 4 days? hmmmm... hope u guys get my point.

As i tried my luck to enquire them (5 of them from different booths) on my scale of reno, all gave me the same impression:

1. hard-selling by asking u to sign before the expo promotion is over. -_-! dude, i am talking abt a 40k to 60k project and these people are machiam selling thumbdrives in IT shows. minus point!

2. they are not knowledgeable in their field. As i probed for cost per ft for carpentry, tilling work and etc etc, they couldn't give me the pricing off their mind. some eve need to refer to their nice nice hand folder to flip to the right pages of the brouchers to find the anwsers...

3. impatient and restless. when they knew that i have did my homework before asking them on their promotional packages, they began to act impatiently and just wanted to put me off, so that they can go find other poosible carrot heads to chop.

in a short 30mins walk around the expo hall, my conclusion is that expo reno exhibi is definitely a BIG no-no avenue for me to come back again to find IDs. their booths and show rooms are nice, but that doesnt mean your reno will be like that. well, this is only my experience and opinion. :sport-smiley-018:

your experience with them and observation really tells it all.....about expo ID.

and the same ID appears at all the expo reno exhibition events regardless of what they call it

My 2 cent worth.

When soucing for id, make sure the id bring you to see a few completed units and also a few in process units.

That will give you the clearer direction whether you want to engage him or not.

Just by looking a one completed unit is solely not enought to gauge how good the id is.

Also, by looking at the photos and talks means nothing if the worksmanship is no up to the mark.

Good Lucks Guys!

Personally, i dun feel which ID firm can 100% offers the best. But which person u engage matters most. Is he responsible? does he avoid yr calls when problem arise? My bank colleague got bad experience from choosing a well-known ID firm. Its not the firm faults, its the staff attitude. tats service industry, like wat i doing now. what can i say?! Suay lor.

So when it is my turn to do my house reno, after visiting few ID firm, i decide to engage nicholas/clement from D'trenzo Interior. Quotations, layout & hand-drawn pictures within 3 days. amazing presentation by clement. But i waited another week b4 confirm for price comparison but can u imaging, delayed replies from 3 other firms. Nick quote me reasonable pricing(not the lowest, i admit) and clement (he mention he has 20 yrs experience & partial re-joining reno industry) answer all my needs and tell me all the pros & cons of items i want. i like their honesty, thus putting my trust of my years of savings($). my flat will be ready abt 2 weeks and i actually received praises from contractor this morning with regards to concepts of the flat.

So happy selecting yr IDs, guy.

hi tapilia,

I strongly agreed with you, is the person you deal with n not the company. I engaged my contractor/Id though my house was done quite sometime ago, frm sg brides forum. Even that i posted him lots of questions to test his knowledge and patience. I think is worth the while to spend more time hunting the right guys rather than rushing to it. I feel that mature guys can handle workers and things better then the younger ones due to the experience and techincal know how.

Personally, i dun feel which ID firm can 100% offers the best. But which person u engage matters most. Is he responsible? does he avoid yr calls when problem arise? My bank colleague got bad experience from choosing a well-known ID firm. Its not the firm faults, its the staff attitude. tats service industry, like wat i doing now. what can i say?! Suay lor.

So when it is my turn to do my house reno, after visiting few ID firm, i decide to engage nicholas/clement from D'trenzo Interior. Quotations, layout & hand-drawn pictures within 3 days. amazing presentation by clement. But i waited another week b4 confirm for price comparison but can u imaging, delayed replies from 3 other firms. Nick quote me reasonable pricing(not the lowest, i admit) and clement (he mention he has 20 yrs experience & partial re-joining reno industry) answer all my needs and tell me all the pros & cons of items i want. i like their honesty, thus putting my trust of my years of savings($). my flat will be ready abt 2 weeks and i actually received praises from contractor this morning with regards to concepts of the flat.

So happy selecting yr IDs, guy.

Agree totally is the individual ID not the firm...

As long as both husband and wife got good rapport with the ID, it would be better to work with later.

we went to about 9 IDs in total before selecting our ID.

As we are rather "youngish", many of them see us no up, even not replying with a quote. :(

Went to an Expo ID and a young chap came and serve us. In the industry for a year and submited a quote with all different things that we requested. When we asked him where he get his idea from, he showed us his big textbook. Lol...

Went to well recommended ID firms, but didn't get the forum-recommended ID, also didn't get a good feeling with them.

Just my two cents.

:)

True. It all depends on the ID person. Prices is all depend on the company. Getting a good ID company is not easy and getting a good ID person is even harder.

I don't like expo ID as well. They are expensive!

Luckily one of my friend recommended me his ID contractor and he was excellance. Was very satify with him. Patient, punctual, good worksmanship etc. I don't wanna say too much because don't want ppl to think that I'm promoting in here.

PM me if anyone is interested in my contractor. I am more then willing to share. :)

True. It all depends on the ID person. Prices is all depend on the company. Getting a good ID company is not easy and getting a good ID person is even harder.

Luckily one of my friend recommended me his ID contractor and he was excellance. Was very satify with him. Patient, punctual, good worksmanship etc. I don't wanna say too much because don't want ppl to think that I'm promoting in here.

PM me if anyone is interested in my contractor. I am more then willing to share. :)

Hi Gao, can I get your contractor's contact?

thanks Bona

Totally agreed!

i am too, happy with my ID and unfortunately i didnt get him from expo. its thru recommendations too.

expo ID sucks big time.

Can pm me your id/contractor contacts as well?

Im going to get my 4rm keys soon and have a budget to work with but of course I dont want just cheap and cant last and also have a few requirements but im trying not to burst my budget as well.

Mine is a premium flat.

Yes, you should do what steelze and diva79 suggests. Both hv gone thru the ID route and shared to help newbies. Read their blogs, I did and was impressed with their sincerity and desire to help. Also, mae29 has an excellent blog too with good advice. You will benefit from reading these resources to know how you should proceed.

All the best!

Hi can PM the contacts. thanks

I totally agreed with you.

My brother collected his key in Feb and went to gotten a few quotes from various IDs. Finally, decided to use my sister' ID as we are afraid that the price is right, slipshot service and workmanship.

I am happy with the service and everything is on schedule. Looking forward for the move in end April.

Hi Gao,

Please email to me, serenet6@gmail.com, your contractor' contact. thanks

Agree totally is the individual ID not the firm...

As long as both husband and wife got good rapport with the ID, it would be better to work with later.

we went to about 9 IDs in total before selecting our ID.

As we are rather "youngish", many of them see us no up, even not replying with a quote. :(

Went to an Expo ID and a young chap came and serve us. In the industry for a year and submited a quote with all different things that we requested. When we asked him where he get his idea from, he showed us his big textbook. Lol...

Went to well recommended ID firms, but didn't get the forum-recommended ID, also didn't get a good feeling with them.

Just my two cents.

:)

Yahhh..agree with u totally.. me and fiance went thru the ID selection process. was tiring! Finally decided on our ID even though there were bad reviews here, cos fiance n me got rapport with him, patient guy, easy to negotiate and consistently in line with what we want, most impt is he always work within our budget and responsible in answering our queries and always contactable.. Most often we are afraid of finding IDs/Contractors run away half way or always play disappearing act.. Haha. And i just started my t-blog! :)

Also been to Expo and spoke to some of the IDs there, seriously, i think they are just sales pple..

If anyone wants to know the ID i've shortlisted previously feel free to PM me for more details.. cos i know the painful, in dilema of finding the right ID. =)