Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
user123

Glass Backplash At Kitchen - Will You Accept This Kind Of Workmanship?

Take a look at the pics. Will you accept these kind of workmanship?

Super pissed off with the contractor, already delayed 4 times and finally done up with such workmanship.

first, second and third delay says the tempered glass cracked at the thin area where the hole for the switches are. Fourth time, manage to send the glass to my home but they forget to open another hole for the switch and keep insisting I put on a new switch without telling them when they did the measurement.

Ok, now fifth time, the hole for the switch opened offsetted, WTH!

455bfb2f.jpg

15bbbff2.jpg

b4c35f36.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Super pissed off with the contractor, already delayed 4 times and finally done up with such workmanship.

first, second and third delay says the tempered glass cracked at the thin area where the hole for the switches are. Fourth time, manage to send the glass to my home but they forget to open another hole for the switch and keep insisting I put on a new switch without telling them when they did the measurement.

that's bad of your contractor. how can do such bad job??

455bfb2f.jpg

15bbbff2.jpg

b4c35f36.jpg

pls do not accept such shoddy workmanship...otherwise, they will keep making the same mistake thinking it is ok standard for us singaporeans.

we not dump nor stupid.

The 13A is not just out of place, there's that little piece of glass they join above the socket outlet.

The glass CANNOT be reuse. Insist that they change the whole piece.

The 13A is not just out of place, there's that little piece of glass they join above the socket outlet.

The glass CANNOT be reuse. Insist that they change the whole piece.

They said it cannot be manufacture in one whole pcs, due to the thin glass at the switch side, it will breakoff with manufacture, so the say die die must make small pcs to join.... is this true or anyone with such design (switch move to top) have such problem? (glass too thin and will breakoff)

They said it cannot be manufacture in one whole pcs, due to the thin glass at the switch side, it will breakoff with manufacture, so the say die die must make small pcs to join.... is this true or anyone with such design (switch move to top) have such problem? (glass too thin and will breakoff)

Just ask them to replace a new one, nothing to explain further.

Just ask them to replace a new one, nothing to explain further.

Before this they had explained to me that due to the separation between the double 13A and light switch is too thin, and also the top part of the 13A is too thin, it will cracked during manufacturing, that's y the delay for 3 times... and the suggest to cut separate and join... I wanna know r they telling me the truth that it is too thin to fabricate and really need to join the small pieces together? Anyone any idea?

Thanks

Before this they had explained to me that due to the separation between the double 13A and light switch is too thin, and also the top part of the 13A is too thin, it will cracked during manufacturing, that's y the delay for 3 times... and the suggest to cut separate and join... I wanna know r they telling me the truth that it is too thin to fabricate and really need to join the small pieces together? Anyone any idea?

Thanks

Actually its will be quite hard to ans u this qns, especially for us who r in this line, hope you understand. For those who not in this line will then don't know how to tell you. Show u this pic and you gauge it yourself. ;)

p1000654w.jpg

p1000655d.jpg

Edited by jaskel

Thanks

oic, "thin" = narrow.

yah, I agree the workmanship is terrible...even the small piece they put in is not fitted straight.

When I did mine, I was a little concerned about the fitting, since I was told they pre-cut first, but thankfully, there wasn't any problem with alignments.

But the difference between yours and mine was the placements of your plugs (both switches & power). Mine did not have any upper gaps and in-betweens, so they were able to just cut a rectangular piece off at the edges of the glass where it matters. Whereas yours require precision measurements and precise and accurate cutting of the holes (where each switch or plug is). IMHO, I don't think anyone can get it fitted in accurately during installation without having to make more filings or cuts UNLESS they have provided for some play around the edges of the holes, but these will again leave large disproportionate gaps around the plugs & switches.

But like they say, the narrow strips of glass in between does posed a huge challenge!! (but I'm a layman, maybe there are professionals who can and are able to provide precision fittings.)

Edited by micah4

Thanks

Hi,

As a Employee of ID Firm, I'll like to point out that

a. the workmanship is bad.

b. the co-ordination is bad.

c. don't accept if you can't live with it.

a. I guess don't need to explain much. It should been seamless and silicone around the edges.

b. I'm guessing you didn't have a Interior Designer or Coordinator that arrange the glass merchant & electrical guy.

The ID/CO needs to tell the elect guy to leave at least 2 inches to 3 inches off the top of the glass area.

Glass Guy will then be able to make a seamless glass with no problem.

Please note that all glass merchants have different specification on this.

c. You can choose not to accept especially if you retained your 10% payment on balance.

You can ask the electrical guy to shift the sockets lower and leave 2-3 inches ( ask your glass merchant on this )

Then ask the Glass merchant to re-do the Glass Backsplash.

Voila!

Best Regards,

Juliana

Edited by PMI Design Pte Ltd

Hi User123,

received ur pm. Basically mine and urs is different. U are using the thin socket where I am using the box type. For thin one the contractor have to cut the glass. In my case, the glass is full piece and stick onto the wall. The next day electrician come and "paste" the socket on the glass. So u won't see any gap.

I was warned by my ID during the time I decide. It require high accuracy and workmanship to cut the glass and there might have some gap. That is why I choose the box type.

Thanks

I agree the workmanship looks shoddy - the glass was not accurately measured and so the fit was bad. But the backsplash installer or contractor was right too - the space b/w the 13A power socket and the light switches was narrow making it very difficult (if not impossible) to cut the glass b/w them without possibly breaking the glass. The fault must also lie with the ID, electrician or contractor who did and installed the electrical connections. Make them do it again if you want to have the backsplash fit nicely with the power sockets and plates. If you had engaged ID/contractor for the electrical work and a different guy for the backsplash, make sure they all get together to discuss how they could work out a nice solution to the problem, and to share the costs of re-do amongst themselves.

In my case, although I engaged an ID for the entire renovation, I still did all the planning and supervision myself. For instance, I instructed the electrician where and how to place the power sockets and switches first, because I had anticipated and was aware of the issues in cutting the backsplash glass, before the works were carried out. So I made sure the electrical sockets abut the corners squarely, leaving no spaces. Also, I made sure the ID understood I wanted the backsplash to be one single continuous piece of tempered glass. Even then, my ID forgot to instruct the glass guys and the first time they came with 3 separate glass pieces!!!

You may read what happened on my blog. Just go to my blog, on the right hand side column is a list of labels, look for 'backsplash' and click on it. The photos of a tempered glass back splash are also there. Looks professionally installed, doesn't it? :P

I feel sorry you had to go through such a heart-wrenching experience. I think you need to get everybody to talk to each other first, make sure everyone who is involved with the reno works understands what you want and expect. After that get the electrician to reposition, realign and re-install the electrical sockets first, then get the glass guys to measure accurately and do the installation, again reminding them what you expect before they carry out the measurement and install the backsplash. And to bear the cost if they had to redo the works.

I hope my suggestion helps.

Bluefly

Edited by BlueFly