Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
panadoll

About Chengal Wood?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have any knowledge of chengal wood and its pricing range? I went to a couple of IDs and was quoted with a wide price range for a planter size of chengal wood.

The cheapest one quoted me $450 for my planter size. The most expensive one from another ID was quoted at 1.5K for the same size. Some others quoted me 600+ and some 800+.

Is there any differences in the chengal wood given?

I asked the ID who quoted me 1.5K and she said that theirs are the better ones.. they wait for the free to mature 60 yrs then they can chop it off for the wood. She kept emplasizing that $450 for that size is definitely not achievable.

I also asked the rest of the IDs why some quote me 1.5K and they gave me the shocked expression and told me that the price is over quoted. The knowledge they told me is that....there is a minimum size that they will quote for the chengal wood. So for a planter size, they can only quote me the minimum size to be sold. 1 even told me the minimum size is abt $400. Then another amount arnd $300 is meant for the support below the chengal wood.

This is sooooo confusing and i don't know which is which and who is saying the real thing.....

Need the advise of you who knows about this chengal wood.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have any knowledge of chengal wood and its pricing range? I went to a couple of IDs and was quoted with a wide price range for a planter size of chengal wood.

The cheapest one quoted me $450 for my planter size. The most expensive one from another ID was quoted at 1.5K for the same size. Some others quoted me 600+ and some 800+.

Is there any differences in the chengal wood given?

I asked the ID who quoted me 1.5K and she said that theirs are the better ones.. they wait for the free to mature 60 yrs then they can chop it off for the wood. She kept emplasizing that $450 for that size is definitely not achievable.

I also asked the rest of the IDs why some quote me 1.5K and they gave me the shocked expression and told me that the price is over quoted. The knowledge they told me is that....there is a minimum size that they will quote for the chengal wood. So for a planter size, they can only quote me the minimum size to be sold. 1 even told me the minimum size is abt $400. Then another amount arnd $300 is meant for the support below the chengal wood.

This is sooooo confusing and i don't know which is which and who is saying the real thing.....

Need the advise of you who knows about this chengal wood.

Thanks in advance

yes.. have u heard abt WPC wood? is that better? cos i want to have a wood that does not require so much maintenance.

Might comtemplate into getting other coy to do just the planter instead of getting my ID to do it if the pricing is much lower...

yes.. have u heard abt WPC wood? is that better? cos i want to have a wood that does not require so much maintenance.

Might comtemplate into getting other coy to do just the planter instead of getting my ID to do it if the pricing is much lower...

i heard that those man-made pvc materials are prone to scratches.

Yes for chengai i understand that if <100 sqft will be a lump sum charge.

i heard that those man-made pvc materials are prone to scratches.

Yes for chengai i understand that if <100 sqft will be a lump sum charge.

There is no old chengal in the market now, however there are many fake chengal which is not even really suitable to be used as outdoor decking. $400 - $600 is really low. Now havent we heard of good thing doesnt come cheap. Real chengal is different, i can bet not all sales person will know. (Real wood expert will know). i can guarantee you it's not available even you have the money nobody will sell you.

Due to high demand of so many condos and dbss with planter therefore resulting in people going for quick buck. Wood will shrunk and warp in no time if install inferior quality. I've develop great interest in outdoor timber and did substantial studies if any of you are keen to know more i'm more than willing to share.

There is no old chengal in the market now, however there are many fake chengal which is not even really suitable to be used as outdoor decking. $400 - $600 is really low. Now havent we heard of good thing doesnt come cheap. Real chengal is different, i can bet not all sales person will know. (Real wood expert will know). i can guarantee you it's not available even you have the money nobody will sell you.

Due to high demand of so many condos and dbss with planter therefore resulting in people going for quick buck. Wood will shrunk and warp in no time if install inferior quality. I've develop great interest in outdoor timber and did substantial studies if any of you are keen to know more i'm more than willing to share.

In that case, i really do wonder whether the 1.5K chengal wood is real stuff or not... cos the ID kept emphasizing that the chengai wood needs 60 yrs of grown then can cut down...

Btw, Christopher... it would be good if u can share with us on your knowledge of outdoor timber... i am still figuring out which is better... chengai or wpc.. and lately i even heard of a new wood called marabu.. there are so many kinds but which is the better ones in terms of the durability under the sun and rain... and also the maintenance level. I read some forum that chengai wood need funishing every few years to restore their "glory"... there are so many grey area and i really don't know which is which. And even so, so i engage other coy who are well specialized in outdoor timber OR i should just let the ID handle everything.... price and quality is really a concern to me....

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

In that case, i really do wonder whether the 1.5K chengal wood is real stuff or not... cos the ID kept emphasizing that the chengai wood needs 60 yrs of grown then can cut down...

Btw, Christopher... it would be good if u can share with us on your knowledge of outdoor timber... i am still figuring out which is better... chengai or wpc.. and lately i even heard of a new wood called marabu.. there are so many kinds but which is the better ones in terms of the durability under the sun and rain... and also the maintenance level. I read some forum that chengai wood need funishing every few years to restore their "glory"... there are so many grey area and i really don't know which is which. And even so, so i engage other coy who are well specialized in outdoor timber OR i should just let the ID handle everything.... price and quality is really a concern to me....

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

If I'm to choose and looking at having something reliable that will be iron wood, however iron wood is a term not a wood species and there's tons of species classified as iron wood. durable and hard and there's lots of different grade as well. WPC is man made wood with plastic, the surface will have scratches which you wont be sanding it off. palm wood on the other hand is not recommended as there's a lot of splinter but cost to install is relatively low. Typically ID firm engage or outsource this portion to supplier or main con to do the job, of course there is some minor mark-up involve. However, there's a lot of supplier as an end-user you wont know who is good or bad. Unless you have seen the work somewhere, example from your friend house etc which is done by direct supplier otherwise do not take risk.

If I'm to choose and looking at having something reliable that will be iron wood, however iron wood is a term not a wood species and there's tons of species classified as iron wood. durable and hard and there's lots of different grade as well. WPC is man made wood with plastic, the surface will have scratches which you wont be sanding it off. palm wood on the other hand is not recommended as there's a lot of splinter but cost to install is relatively low. Typically ID firm engage or outsource this portion to supplier or main con to do the job, of course there is some minor mark-up involve. However, there's a lot of supplier as an end-user you wont know who is good or bad. Unless you have seen the work somewhere, example from your friend house etc which is done by direct supplier otherwise do not take risk.

Hi Christopher,

In this case, which iron wood will you actually recommend for a planter size? Is the price range same as WPC?

my bro did boxup of the planter area...costs nearly 1k. the chengal wood will stain your tiles...but other than that its ok.

stain the tiles? how did that happen?

Hi Christopher,

In this case, which iron wood will you actually recommend for a planter size? Is the price range same as WPC?

Typically ironwood pricing is about $26psf. If you can get $24 is REALLY very good price, I have heard about this price but so far never encounter nor came across anyone near me installing with that type of pricing. It's difficult to judge as there's so many species however inferior species are easy to tell based on the color. It will be like chengal wood if you got the inferior ones. Price will be higher than WPC for sure but if you are ok with fake looks than WPC is fine. Personally, i can't accept the WPC grain as it is so fake.

my bro did boxup of the planter area...costs nearly 1k. the chengal wood will stain your tiles...but other than that its ok.

Natural wood will gives this problem. Especially serious if you stain darker color on your decking. IT will leave a trace on the planter or balcony. Sometimes even the exterior wall of the planter area will be affected if the plank are higher than planter box. If using WPC than no such problem. :) It's common for natural to produce "juice" over certain period of time..

Edited by Christopher

Natural wood will gives this problem. Especially serious if you stain darker color on your decking. IT will leave a trace on the planter or balcony. Sometimes even the exterior wall of the planter area will be affected if the plank are higher than planter box. If using WPC than no such problem. :) It's common for natural to produce "juice" over certain period of time..

in that case, i think i prefer wpc... cos i dun really like staining afterall... hehe

• Like 1

in that case, i think i prefer wpc... cos i dun really like staining afterall... hehe

WPC is getting more popular nowadays, in no time many places will be using WPC. Good choice.

Hi all

I would like to state a very unpleasant encounter with a decking company called evorich

I engage them to do iron wood decking for my planter. the quote is $17.40+GST/sqf

everything seems okay until 3 days before installation.

I received a call from an indian installer,asked to store the woods first,then install 2days later.

I was not told in advance and call this guy K whom obviously is the liaison person. this k knows nuts about this

arrangment.Never mind.

Come the installation day. Here is the most funny remarks I ever (probably you guys too) heard.

The installer never came. So i called K. K said :" sorry my guys missing la, i also dont know where they are"

I dont know whether to laugh or what, it's simply unimaginable!

Called his boss Alex, this Alex play taichi ,said will sms me his boss number. nothing , also went MIA.

LAter part of the day around 4 they came worked until 7pm,I have to compromise their timing!

After that the next day another horrific event.

The worksmanship is so poor that I simply cannot accept it! (night time cannot see clearly).

a)The woods are uneven.

b) the nails that was manually punch in did not went in properly. I got a bit of cut on my foot.

normally wood decking use electric nail puncher.they did not.

c) they did not even bother to paint the wood first hand.

Call this another guy call N, said will look it, after that also went MIA.

I am left with the unfinished good, full of poor worksmanship and defects. :(

I am stating the truth, nothing but the truth, if i ever fasify any facts above , may i burn in ****.

For all forummers who wish to engage them, just be careful.

Any one can teach me how to uplaod pics? I want to upload pics for you to view how this evorich did the job.

Thier website is evorich.com.sg

wish me luck guys:( by the way I will start my T-blog soon probably tomorrow (today too angry liao) as

"Simei DBSS: my abode".

thanks for your time.

(I have actually started a new topic, but guess admin delete it,so I posted it here)

Someone told me that composite wood (wood + plastic) is better for balcony decking as real wood will fade if exposed to sunlight/rain etc... then must revarnish again.

Could anyone recommend a good decking contact that does composite wood?