Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
endlssorrow

Cove Lighting

Everybody has different ideas. My take is that since you are going to have down lights, might as well put in cove lights. It's useful for ambience. Even for lighting, you cannot rely on the lights from most fan lights.

It is true that a cove can trap dust. But so can the tops of any cupboard, fridge etc. In my case, I never cleaned it. But unlike in the past, where the cove is literally a huge cavity, these days, it can just be a ledge that is big enough for your cove lights. So, the area that traps dust is not much. And if you are using LED down lights and LED cove lights, this ledge can be even smaller.

Here is my cove light for my previous place.

IMG_2933_zps96ddbb29.jpg

Sorry kstoh, another question.. Pls pardon my noobness... Got another 3 questions.. Sorry for taking up so much of your time..

1) Ur Cove lighting is using fluorescent tubes or LED strips?

2) White light and not warm light right?

3) did you paint the ceiling a darker colour shade to bring out the Cove lighting effect even more? Looks really good..

Thanks!!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi leonjennawong

The fan you see in the hall of my previous place is KDK V56VK. I am also using this fan in the bedrooms of my present place. This fan has a short stem. But there are other brands in the market with short stems. In my new place, I used several types of fans.

Based on my experience, the layout I use is fine. There is no flickering shadow, even though the cove lighting is slightly higher than the fan blades. Not sure why, but maybe there is so much light from the cove lighting all round that you do not see the flicker? But do note that my down lights are always alway from the fan, and these do not shine through the fan blades. I think if you put down lights above fan blades, there will be flicker.

The cove lights above are using T5 fluorescent tubes. However, in my new place, I did experiment using LED for some cove lights. If you want brighter, you probably need T5.

I was using Warm Warm cove lights for my previous place but in my new place, I have switched to Cool White as I find Warm Warm to be too orange. The ceiling is painted normal white. No special colour. Photos are misleading. The lights often look better on photo. The colours are also not accurate. Different settings (flash on/off, HDR on/off, type of camera, day/night) give different results. Much also depends on the furnishing. If you cover the furniture and wall art, the place will look different.

No problem with questions. I am here to share. Check out my blog on my new place for further discussion on LED lights! There is also a photo of one of my LED cove lights.