Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
endlssorrow

Cove Lighting

Intend to have false ceiling with downlightings but thinking should i have cove light also anot? For living room, my centre will have ceiling fan with light.

For those who have cove lighting, can i check is it very dusty/dirty/spider easily? Then have to climb ladder to clean it often?

Edited by endlssorrow

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Generally speaking, if there are ceiling lights or fan lights installed, you can choose to install downlight without covelight as the ceiling light/fan light already provide enough lighting balance at the ceiling area. Else you might end with a huge void of dark area at the center of the room.

Hi,

May I know what is the difference between downlights and covelights? Aren't they the same?

Thanks

covelight is installed in the false ceiling and provides illumination by reflectance from the ceiling.

downlight refers to the group of lighting that is installed in the false ceiling or surface-mounted on the ceiling and emit its light downwards.

covelight is installed in the false ceiling and provides illumination by reflectance from the ceiling.

downlight refers to the group of lighting that is installed in the false ceiling or surface-mounted on the ceiling and emit its light downwards.

Got..

Thanks

Some IDs like to design cove for lighting. Unless you are prepare to clean the recess area often. This design is regrettable for me.

thanks for sharing ... can you briefly describe how troublesome ?

To me cove lighting is just for decorative purpose, how many will really on the lights when no guest coming your house? to me it is redundant and not useful at all.

My tenanted house have cove lights in the living room (done by previous owner) and I just put downlights in my own house when I do my reno.

Try not to use cove light in false ceiling. Needs regular cleaning and maintenance. Bad for lazy people like me yamseng.gif

From an aesthetic point of view, cove light is an excellent choice to enrich the room ambiance with layers of lighting and colour. You will be surprised how much illumination cove light can provide.

From an aesthetic point of view, cove light is an excellent choice to enrich the room ambiance with layers of lighting and colour. You will be surprised how much illumination cove light can pro

i tend to agree with reno seeker.... think long term

more debate on this topic at the link below

http://hdbrenovation2009.blogspot.sg/2010/08/false-ceiling-lightings.html

Everybody has different ideas. My take is that since you are going to have down lights, might as well put in cove lights. It's useful for ambience. Even for lighting, you cannot rely on the lights from most fan lights.

It is true that a cove can trap dust. But so can the tops of any cupboard, fridge etc. In my case, I never cleaned it. But unlike in the past, where the cove is literally a huge cavity, these days, it can just be a ledge that is big enough for your cove lights. So, the area that traps dust is not much. And if you are using LED down lights and LED cove lights, this ledge can be even smaller.

Here is my cove light for my previous place.

IMG_2933_zps96ddbb29.jpg

Everybody has different ideas. My take is that since you are going to have down lights, might as well put in cove lights. It's useful for ambience. Even for lighting, you cannot rely on the lights from most fan lights.

It is true that a cove can trap dust. But so can the tops of any cupboard, fridge etc. In my case, I never cleaned it. But unlike in the past, where the cove is literally a huge cavity, these days, it can just be a ledge that is big enough for your cove lights. So, the area that traps dust is not much. And if you are using LED down lights and LED cove lights, this ledge can be even smaller.

Here is my cove light for my previous place.

IMG_2933_zps96ddbb29.jpg

does your cove light pose a problem when you switch on your fan?

meaning does it cast a spinning shadow?

does your cove light pose a problem when you switch on your fan?

meaning does it cast a spinning shadow?

Omg kstoh, ur living is **** nice.. Ur photo has convinced me that I must go for Cove lighting in my living room!! Haha and thanks so much for assuring us noobs that the ceiling fan will not necessarily cause flickering shadows with the Cove lights... But.. I still have a question.. Paiseh.. Haha =p my question is how many inches is your ceiling fan? Did you buy those shorter blade type? Thanks so much again for your advice and guidance