Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sethho

A New Lair In The West

Welcome to RT, Sethho and Ader! Looking forward to your updates :)

Yes, May Dream's place is definitely fun! Love her bedroom to bits - it's so spacious and cozy! And I'll second May Dream's opinion of Sleek - she's such a nice person - real, and genuine. <3 I think May Dream has opened her home to tons of RT-ers here, and that says so much about her warm, giving nature.

- Ely

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

not naggy or preachy la, i appreciate advice especially on how to handle #1. i miss them showing super nanny on tv.

socialization is zero issue with him actually, he is a little Casanova already, tons of girlfriends wherever he goes rolleyes.gif he started a Montessori kindy this year and was going for berries and dance once a week since the whole of last year, till now and we've started him on swimming just 2 months ago. i'm only sending him for what i consider the essentials as we fully believe in him having a happy childhood that is not encumbered with a packed daily schedule with no time to breathe least of all for play. my mum has always believed in a holistic, experiential approach with plenty of common sense thrown in, thus i am following this approach as i totally agree with the philosophy too. i always believe this should be the basic approach to EC education but unfortunately in SG we have to pay a premium and what we get is not even premium bangwall.gifhahaha now i'm being the lor sor one.

oh edited cos i meant to ask, are you in the education field for pri/ sec/ jc/ uni or specifically EC?

Yes, I use to work with schools, primay to university level. So I listen to all "complaints" from teachers about how most parents e.g. load their kids with tuition BEFORE the proper curriculum is covered in class. This produce a negative effect as most kids are 'bored' during class lessons, and their inattentiveness lead to poor results and behaviours. Around 8 years ago, teaching professions has the highest mental facility check-in rate - 3 school principal actually got admitted into Woodbridge that year. Not sure of the situation now, but I can empathize the challenges faced by parents and teachers :jawdrop:

Just my other 2 cents from those experience....

You know the saying "spare the rod, and spoil your child" which seems to be derived from a Bible verse? This is taken out of context, because rod and staves are only used by priest and sheperds to guide their wards in the Biblical days. Kings used scepters to pass judgement and lead armies. The ideal philospopy is to always communicate and award punishment that fits the 'crime', but never hit the child as that means the guardian's impatience exceeds his/her love. It maybe difficult in real life, but not insurmountable...

Make sure you have a good work-life balance as a mother, ya? :good:

Edited by sethho

Welcome to RT, Sethho and Ader! Looking forward to your updates :)

Yes, May Dream's place is definitely fun! Love her bedroom to bits - it's so spacious and cozy! And I'll second May Dream's opinion of Sleek - she's such a nice person - real, and genuine. <3 I think May Dream has opened her home to tons of RT-ers here, and that says so much about her warm, giving nature.

- Ely

Thanks you, and again for yor advice in your topic, Ely1 :dancingqueen:

~ 3 smiley face for the 3rd congratulations ~

Yes, I use to work with schools, primay to university level. So I listen to all "complaints" from teachers about how most parents e.g. load their kids with tuition BEFORE the proper curriculum is covered in class. This produce a negative effect as most kids are 'bored' during class lessons, and their inattentiveness lead to poor results and behaviours. Around 8 years ago, teaching professions has the highest mental facility check-in rate - 3 school principal actually got admitted into Woodbridge that year. Not sure of the situation now, but I can empathize the challenges faced by parents and teachers :jawdrop:

Just my other 2 cents from those experience....

You know the saying "spare the rod, and spoil your child" which seems to be derived from a Bible verse? This is taken out of context, because rod and staves are only used by priest and sheperds to guide their wards in the Biblical days. Kings used scepters to pass judgement and lead armies. The ideal philospopy is to always communicate and award punishment that fits the 'crime', but never hit the child as that means the guardian's impatience exceeds his/her love. It maybe difficult in real life, but not insurmountable...

Make sure you have a good work-life balance as a mother, ya? :good:

i can see how the teaching profession would have the highest mental facility check-in rate. Teachers are no longer respected - children can threaten teachers with their parents or the principal and the teacher is powerless, have to do tons of stupid ridiculous paper work and other rubbish instead of concentrating on teaching and how to be a better teacher.

as for children knowing everything before they start school, it really is a chicken & egg situation though? I've heard of stories where parents like myself have been told off by teachers cos their children are not as well prepared as the other students and the teacher refuses to teach what they are supposed to but teaches according to the high standard of the majority of pupils. :dunno:

guilty as charged of being quick with the spanks, i do try to practice self restraint but like you said the guardian's impatience exceeds his/her love, :osomething i am working on all the time. i do get time off if i need/ want cos i my mum helps me alot with the kids so that's not a problem :)

finally started ur t-blog!

will be camping here for updates! :)

Hey footprint! :D

I will be posting original pic soon ~ so stay tuned!

hi seth, i am late to the party (as usual) but i like your layout. hope to see more progress pictures as we go along.

eh but you are not doing the bat cave sliding pole thingy? awwww

finally started ur t-blog!

will be camping here for updates! :)

Yeah, finally...but started by my hubby LOL :P

Like my hubby said, will try our best to update (diligently) our t-blog with photos of reno progress, bought & intended purchases, and any other experience and lobangs to share with fellow forumers :)

Hey bro, welcome to RT and to the west~ :lol: we've met Ader earlier in May's blog. hee hee :)

your home is a 3.5 at Clementi? good location leh! we were initially looking for 3.5 or 4 room in Clementi during our house hunting but at that time, all the 3.5 rooms were asking at least 60k COV (surely out of our budget~)..................... zz

having a fireman's pole and stuff like that sure sounds like a great ideas. so that's the Sir Ikari in you? :D

i can see how the teaching profession would have the highest mental facility check-in rate. Teachers are no longer respected - children can threaten teachers with their parents or the principal and the teacher is powerless, have to do tons of stupid ridiculous paper work and other rubbish instead of concentrating on teaching and how to be a better teacher.

as for children knowing everything before they start school, it really is a chicken & egg situation though? I've heard of stories where parents like myself have been told off by teachers cos their children are not as well prepared as the other students and the teacher refuses to teach what they are supposed to but teaches according to the high standard of the majority of pupils. :dunno:

guilty as charged of being quick with the spanks, i do try to practice self restraint but like you said the guardian's impatience exceeds his/her love, :osomething i am working on all the time. i do get time off if i need/ want cos i my mum helps me alot with the kids so that's not a problem :)

Sorry if my words sound 'harsh'... I do not mean to :(

Bottom line is you are never out of presence or mind - that is key :good:

Children develop abstract conceptualization at a younger age now, so you may be surprise what a good talk, making him write an (say 30-50 words) apology letter or shared diary with you, or abstience of his privilege (in replacement for new interest) - can help develop the child's mind, linguistic ability, express his emotion and discover hidden talents.... instead of toughening his skin and shame with spanking... lol

Have fun together with your bundle of joy! Share simple domestic challenges with him to solve together (Montessori "hands-on" approach helps here!). Enjoy developing his value system and prepare his intellect to deal with 'the system' in future society.

Ok, I better stop here - if not I will be 'suan' by my wife again...

hi seth, i am late to the party (as usual) but i like your layout. hope to see more progress pictures as we go along.

Hi hafiizh, thanks man... I will post the original conition as soon as I finish 'rotating' them in photobucket...lol

Hey bro, welcome to RT and to the west~ :lol: we've met Ader earlier in May's blog. hee hee :)

your home is a 3.5 at Clementi? good location leh! we were initially looking for 3.5 or 4 room in Clementi during our house hunting but at that time, all the 3.5 rooms were asking at least 60k COV (surely out of our budget~)..................... zz

having a fireman's pole and stuff like that sure sounds like a great ideas. so that's the Sir Ikari in you? :D

Wah... the famous marshmallow :bow: your presence honour us :D

Not sure if the storeroom qualifies as 0.5, but it is definitely bigger than most 3rm corner + access area we have viewed previously in Commonwealth/Queenstown area. 60k COV is RIDIKULUS (*waves wand*)! Sorry got to make Ader happy with some Harry Porter role playing...zzzzz :P

But seriously, this unit was bought over from the original owner, so the COV is less than 20k. We just met our agent last week at the 2nd appointment, and he told us demand now much more than supply vs 1-2 months ago after GE. But COV for a corridor still around 20-30k.

Yup - that's why naming it a "Lair", because my favorite anime characters are controversial 'villains' like Shinji Ikari from Evangelion and Saito Hajime from Ruronin Kenshin :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by sethho

Hey hafiizh, thx for visiting our t-blog :)

Hmm...is this (the "bat cave sliding pole") some sort of "every man's fantasy"?? Like the secret/hidden doorway to May's MBR :P

Hi marshy, thx for dropping by our t-blog. Hope you will visit regularly and give us your comments/advice/opinions :D

Congrats and welcome to the T-blog. Have a smooth reno ahead. :D

Hi Jaskel, thx for your time in meeting Seth & I despite your busy schedule with projects and own reno :)