Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
frigginfuchsia

Stepping Back In Time

Oh wow. You're DIYing the refurbishment? Amazing! +1 on the gift and the great pics...

aww thanks... most of the pixs are taken by my husband..

Yeah... Am on freelance so m fortunate to have a bit of time in between my styling jobs and I enjoy doin all these refurbishing stuff besides being too cheap to get pple to do it for me. Its really a lot easier with the electric grinder but the dust is terrible... have to use a mask and protective eyewear if u'd like to do yr own yar?!

Edited by frigginfuchsia

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi frigginfuschia,

Big respect for sanding up and refurbishing all your own items. :)

I was looking out for some interesting scandi pieces and I came across a couple of interesting websites that have some of the preloved stuff that I think you like:

http://www.charm2nd.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/likethatone/

Where do you source all your stuff from?

aww thanks... most of the pixs are taken by my husband..

Yeah... Am on freelance so m fortunate to have a bit of time in between my styling jobs and I enjoy doin all these refurbishing stuff besides being too cheap to get pple to do it for me. Its really a lot easier with the electric grinder but the dust is terrible... have to use a mask and protective eyewear if u'd like to do yr own yar?!

Hi Timothy (am assuming that's yr name? :)),

thanks for stopping by!

Ahhhh... no no... nothing to respect abt me doing my own refurbishing... I happen to be a gal who likes working with tools, I always tease my husband that he's half married to a guy. Seriously with the electric grinder, it was 1/2 the effort to get it done, the hot weather was more of a pain for me.

And yeah, I've noticed you're a Scandi. style lover too! Nice to have you and Jumpstreet to chit chat with.. and Aidiaem for her link references!

Anyway, bk to yr questions to where we've sourced our items from.

Do check out:

http://www.forarvintage.com/

(I've yet to shop with them, as they did not have the sideboard I was looking for, for our telly. I've contacted them for some prod info. & Lester (one of the owners) was very prompt to reply, very informative and am now stalking their website for items I MIGHT NOT need.. (am trying hard to control myself) I strongly recommend Forar if you're into Authentic Danish/Scandi. styled items as many of the preloved items in SG are more 'localised' in terms of design. - am a tad anal abt design aesthetics due to my past career)

For lovely refurbished items and a nice cuppa :

http://restoreliving.blogspot.com/

For inspiration though it's a little too ex for me - all repros

http://athousandtales.com/

and last but not least, everyone's gotta loveeeee....Lorgans

http://lorgans.com/main.php?f=0

or head on to :

http://www.jetstar.com/sg/en/home

grab a flight to Melbourne, scour their weekend markets! I used to enjoy weekends at different markets there seeking timeless items.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To date, we've not shopped much except for the sofa, TV side boards, bedside tables & bar stools... we'll be bringing my 20 year old Dscan dining chairs along with me (it was a gift years ago & still beautiful), my also approx 15 year old dining teak table, keeping our pine bed till prob next yr when we're slightly above the **** reno debt ;p For other pieces, we've decided to grow with our home...move in.. feel the the apt's personality with our lifestyle and slowly get pieces....

Hope I managed to help!

Hi frigginfuschia,

Big respect for sanding up and refurbishing all your own items. :)

I was looking out for some interesting scandi pieces and I came across a couple of interesting websites that have some of the preloved stuff that I think you like:

http://www.charm2nd.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/likethatone/

Where do you source all your stuff from?

Edited by frigginfuchsia

Hi frigginfuschia (I'm still amused by your nick :P) I'm assuming this is not your name! Haha

Yes, my name is Timothy :)

I've seen the Forar vintage site; but I don't think that really blends in very well with what I want to achieve.

Restore living looks interesting - might head down there for a cuppa sometime soon.

I've seen a thousand tales at Haji lane, and yes they are extremely expensive!

They choose very nice pieces to reproduce though, and the quality is pretty good.

I like some of the repro Sofas / armchairs at Lorgan's, but I think that there might be cheaper alternatives out there :P

The Jetstar link was a little unexpected! :) But I'd rather check out Suan Lum Night market in Bangkok for some nice original pieces than fly all the way to Melbourne. Hehe

What were you working as previously? ID / product designer? I'm in digital media / web marketing :)

Yeah same like you, I'll probably just get the most basic stuff first - sofa, dining set, bed and tv.

Other accent pieces, accessories etc to come later.

Only thing I'm worried about it is going too much with the retro / Scandi look that it appears dated.

If I gravitate too much towards this path I'm worried my parents / in-laws come for house warming and start thinking "eh, spend so much on reno for wat. this looks like our 1970- 80s furniture". Haha

Hi Timothy (am assuming that's yr name? :)),

thanks for stopping by!

Ahhhh... no no... nothing to respect abt me doing my own refurbishing... I happen to be a gal who likes working with tools, I always tease my husband that he's half married to a guy. Seriously with the electric grinder, it was 1/2 the effort to get it done, the hot weather was more of a pain for me.

And yeah, I've noticed you're a Scandi. style lover too! Nice to have you and Jumpstreet to chit chat with.. and Aidiaem for her link references!

Do check out:

http://www.forarvintage.com/

(I've yet to shop with them, as they did not have the sideboard I was looking for, for our telly. I've contacted them for some prod info. & Lester (one of the owners) was very prompt to reply, very informative and am now stalking their website for items I MIGHT NOT need.. (am trying hard to control myself) I strongly recommend Forar if you're into Authentic Danish/Scandi. styled items as many of the preloved items in SG are more 'localised' in terms of design. - am a tad anal abt design aesthetics due to my past career)

For lovely refurbished items and a nice cuppa :

http://restoreliving.blogspot.com/

For inspiration though it's a little too ex for me - all repros

http://athousandtales.com/

and last but not least, everyone's gotta loveeeee....Lorgans

http://lorgans.com/main.php?f=0

or head on to :

http://www.jetstar.com/sg/en/home

grab a flight to Melbourne, scour their weekend markets! I used to enjoy weekends at different markets there seeking timeless items.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To date, we've not shopped much except for the sofa, TV side boards, bedside tables & bar stools... we'll be bringing my 20 year old Dscan dining chairs along with me (it was a gift years ago & still beautiful), my also approx 15 year old dining teak table, keeping our pine bed till prob next yr when we're slightly above the **** reno debt ;p For other pieces, we've decided to grow with our home...move in.. feel the the apt's personality with our lifestyle and slowly get pieces....

Hope I managed to help!

Hi, we need to refurbish some furniture too, and after a few fingernails broken using a sandpaper, I am succumbing and will get one. Can you advice where you got yours and what's a good brand?

nope nope... frigginfuchsia ain't my name but my real name is as wierd.

Reading your reply below, I presume you are gravitating more to asian made furniture with Danish touches?

It's been a while since I've gone up to Bkk... we hope to go up soon... but I last remembered, that they carry mainly replicas. A number of European furniture stores sent them the original vintage furniture to replicate. I remember goin to one of those furniture warehouse and was in vintage euphoria feeling and touching original pieces.. the plastic... the make... ahhh the wonderful curves... *droool******

By the way, I was surprised to know that there used to be a teak wood furniture maker here in sg that used to make scandinavian design furniture for a US company. Unfortunately they've shut their doors in 2006, yeah they were know as Dscan. I found that out only recently when I was inspecting my old dining chairs in search for a matching dining table.

I was previously a creative in adveritisng... ATL (that made me anal abt details) & then digital and now.. am a commercial foodstylist (also a job that needs to pay attention to details) hahahahaha.... Are you a creative or suit?

As for the inlaws/parents issue... yeah.. we're on the same boat. My husband was originally a Sarawakian.. and his parents still have their Kampong home. We're thinking how his parents will proberly think we're nuts making our new place 'old'. (even our electrical switches will be the old black plastic nipple style switches) above that, we'll be infusing it with the industrial style... they might help offer to plaster raw walls thinking we need help with it.. hahahahhaha!

Hi frigginfuschia (I'm still amused by your nick :P) I'm assuming this is not your name! Haha

Yes, my name is Timothy :)

I've seen the Forar vintage site; but I don't think that really blends in very well with what I want to achieve.

Restore living looks interesting - might head down there for a cuppa sometime soon.

I've seen a thousand tales at Haji lane, and yes they are extremely expensive!

They choose very nice pieces to reproduce though, and the quality is pretty good.

I like some of the repro Sofas / armchairs at Lorgan's, but I think that there might be cheaper alternatives out there :P

The Jetstar link was a little unexpected! :) But I'd rather check out Suan Lum Night market in Bangkok for some nice original pieces than fly all the way to Melbourne. Hehe

What were you working as previously? ID / product designer? I'm in digital media / web marketing :)

Yeah same like you, I'll probably just get the most basic stuff first - sofa, dining set, bed and tv.

Other accent pieces, accessories etc to come later.

Only thing I'm worried about it is going too much with the retro / Scandi look that it appears dated.

If I gravitate too much towards this path I'm worried my parents / in-laws come for house warming and start thinking "eh, spend so much on reno for wat. this looks like our 1970- 80s furniture". Haha

I'm actually looking towards a more luxe / comfortable look for the furniture. The Scandi touch will be more from the decor / accent pieces.

I'm going to BKK in October so I'll go scout and take lots and lots of pictures and contacts :)

What agency were you with? I guess you were a Art Director? I was with TBWA for a short time before as a suit - I hated it! Heh

Nontheless, good to find someone from a similar background / industry. *Shake hand and exchange name cards* :P

What kind of digital were you doing? Being a commercial food stylist sounds extremely interesting; not every day I come across someone who styles food.

Do you need a partner to review food for you? I'll happily volunteer :)

I kind of know the look you're going for; think I saw it in a ID's house that I visited. However, my gf commented that after staying too long in the house she had a heache.

It might be the cement screed effect which might be too heavy, or the pendant lights which were not bright enough.

I came to realize that while his place looks really good in photos or as a portfolio, the feeling / liveability while in the house is another story. Just FYI

nope nope... frigginfuchsia ain't my name but my real name is as wierd.

Reading your reply below, I presume you are gravitating more to asian made furniture with Danish touches?

It's been a while since I've gone up to Bkk... we hope to go up soon... but I last remembered, that they carry mainly replicas. A number of European furniture stores sent them the original vintage furniture to replicate. I remember goin to one of those furniture warehouse and was in vintage euphoria feeling and touching original pieces.. the plastic... the make... ahhh the wonderful curves... *droool******

By the way, I was surprised to know that there used to be a teak wood furniture maker here in sg that used to make scandinavian design furniture for a US company. Unfortunately they've shut their doors in 2006, yeah they were know as Dscan. I found that out only recently when I was inspecting my old dining chairs in search for a matching dining table.

I was previously a creative in adveritisng... ATL (that made me anal abt details) & then digital and now.. am a commercial foodstylist (also a job that needs to pay attention to details) hahahahaha.... Are you a creative or suit?

As for the inlaws/parents issue... yeah.. we're on the same boat. My husband was originally a Sarawakian.. and his parents still have their Kampong home. We're thinking how his parents will proberly think we're nuts making our new place 'old'. (even our electrical switches will be the old black plastic nipple style switches) above that, we'll be infusing it with the industrial style... they might help offer to plaster raw walls thinking we need help with it.. hahahahhaha!

hey, great links! Love the stuff on the Forar site, are they based in Singapore? Looking to get an entryway table...

seems like everyone is from the creative industry :)

Bkk is damm cool to visit... hopefull we can go there in July after the reno....

I was last with Mccann's digital arm in Beijing before I returned in 09. Was mainly doing online and new media stuff(new then).

As for reviewing food.. no la... I wish... I keep food looking good for shoots eg. keeping raw meat 'fresh' for a few hrs.. the typical unmeltable ice-cream .. ensuring food looks good thru the photographer's lens & can tahan all the lights... etc..

I agree with yr gf's and yr views on what looks good as a showroom/show flat, may not be livable...lighting is very impt. Besides our raw bulbs/lights - well'll be using mirrored bulbs to refract the light and to ensure the light is reflected and bounced) we also have some down lights and reflected light for a bit of mood lighting. We had thot of having cement screeded walls but have gone against that incase our friends offered to paint our walls... - kidding

I'm actually looking towards a more luxe / comfortable look for the furniture. The Scandi touch will be more from the decor / accent pieces.

I'm going to BKK in October so I'll go scout and take lots and lots of pictures and contacts :)

What agency were you with? I guess you were a Art Director? I was with TBWA for a short time before as a suit - I hated it! Heh

Nontheless, good to find someone from a similar background / industry. *Shake hand and exchange name cards* :P

What kind of digital were you doing? Being a commercial food stylist sounds extremely interesting; not every day I come across someone who styles food.

Do you need a partner to review food for you? I'll happily volunteer :)

I kind of know the look you're going for; think I saw it in a ID's house that I visited. However, my gf commented that after staying too long in the house she had a heache.

It might be the cement screed effect which might be too heavy, or the pendant lights which were not bright enough.

I came to realize that while his place looks really good in photos or as a portfolio, the feeling / liveability while in the house is another story. Just FYI

Edited by frigginfuchsia

Hi Patsy,

Am using a a Finishing Sander (technically its for finishing of sanding work but it's working great for me). Its under the brand name Maktec by Makita. it's a God-send! do sand by good dust masks & protective eye wear... they will only prob cost ya a total of $4 bucks for the protective gear. have an apron on.. and work in a nice ventilated space due to dust. Also, stand by a edge file if needed for the edges.

Hi, we need to refurbish some furniture too, and after a few fingernails broken using a sandpaper, I am succumbing and will get one. Can you advice where you got yours and what's a good brand?

Hi JumpStreet! no probs... gotta help each other!

Yeah.. I lurve the stuff from Forar... do contact them for their pieces, u'll be pleasantly suprise with their pricing and service. and YES most importantly.... they are in sg

hey, great links! Love the stuff on the Forar site, are they based in Singapore? Looking to get an entryway table...

seems like everyone is from the creative industry :)

Hi Patsy,

Am using a a Finishing Sander (technically its for finishing of sanding work but it's working great for me). Its under the brand name Maktec by Makita. it's a God-send! do sand by good dust masks & protective eye wear... they will only prob cost ya a total of $4 bucks for the protective gear. have an apron on.. and work in a nice ventilated space due to dust. Also, stand by a edge file if needed for the edges.

Thanks Thanks! I have the safety glasses already from my time as a lab geek, so will just have to get a mask, and make sure I wear a super old tee while doing so.... glad to find another female in the forum who likes getting their hands dirty!

I have a few pieces to "do up," though part of me is thinking of leaving them in their dilapidated state so it looks more lived in...

The new place also has some solid wood cupboards (!) that need to be sanded and stained.... so this should come in handy!!

I don't think I will ever go the retro path so love visiting your T-blog for ideas and to admire the nice pics. :)

Thanks for sharing all the lovely places to shop... tho the stuff dun really fit my apartment's theme, still happy to do some "window shopping". :yamseng:

another mini update from yest....

I lurve our tilers, they put so much effort in the work they do. The areas I see their pride in is how they preplan where the tiles will sit, to make sure tiles are centralised properly and not abrupt and unbalanced in each end. (not sure if am explaining this right. I know it's typical for most tilers to do so but am gratful to not get those who dun preplan and precalculate before begining.

master_toilet.jpg

kitchen_8june.jpg

Yeah highly likely I'll source stuff from BKK when I go in October - but not so sure how shipping, logistics works and costs. Are you familiar?

I've been in a lot of companies before (tried lots of things after I just graduated in 2004). Been in TBWA, Nickeleon, Apple and am working at HP now. I've always wondered how they make food look like that. Especially the nice displays in the Japanese restaurants. Do they put a layer of varnish over it? Haha

What will you be doing to your walls then? I'm thinking of painting mine over with some sort of textured paint.

My friend just started work at this place called Decora Arts which has pretty interesting paint effects.

I'll meet her for lunch and check out her stuff next week, but in the meantime here's their site: http://www.decora-art.com/

It's in flash though....

Bkk is damm cool to visit... hopefull we can go there in July after the reno....

I was last with Mccann's digital arm in Beijing before I returned in 09. Was mainly doing online and new media stuff(new then).

As for reviewing food.. no la... I wish... I keep food looking good for shoots eg. keeping raw meat 'fresh' for a few hrs.. the typical unmeltable ice-cream .. ensuring food looks good thru the photographer's lens & can tahan all the lights... etc..

I agree with yr gf's and yr views on what looks good as a showroom/show flat, may not be livable...lighting is very impt. Besides our raw bulbs/lights - well'll be using mirrored bulbs to refract the light and to ensure the light is reflected and bounced) we also have some down lights and reflected light for a bit of mood lighting. We had thot of having cement screeded walls but have gone against that incase our friends offered to paint our walls... - kidding