Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ZondaR

Vaccum Cleaner

Recently, my brother-in-law bought a Rainbow vaccum Cleaner for about S$3K... The salesman came over to his place and demonstrated and it was suppose to clear bed bugs. I heard the waste water was so dirty, he was convinced to buy.

However, I also came across a Karcher model that is also using about the same technology. The difference is that this one is going for S$600. I heard it is just as good.

Has any forummer used either one? can get your honest reviews?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Interesting video, but contains an inaccuracy. He said that a dust mite is 0.3 micron. Dust mites are much bigger than that - about 300 microns long (but still can't be seen with the naked eye). Their allergens though are about 10 microns.

He spoke of clearing 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns. That's the standard required of HEPA filters. If you want that level of cleanliness, you need a vacuum with a HEPA filter. Or one of those air cleaners with a HEPA filter. Many people get by without HEPA filters. However, if anyone at home is sensitive/allegic to dust, then it would be a good investment.

The Miele he tested probably has one. The Karcher that ZondaR is talking about probably has a HEPA filter too, IIRC.

The Rainbow will likely suck up dust mites. Will it retain it inside rather than blow it out again? I don't know. Maybe it will.

The Karcher? It's powerful, it has a "beater" attachment that you can use when vacuuming the mattress, and it has a HEPA filter. I think it'll suck up and keep the dust mite in.

Want to see dirty waste water? The Karcher will show that to you too.

Another thing - a bed bug is different from a dust mite. It can grow to about 4mm long. The Rainbow can probably deal with something that big.

Above all just my view only.

Recently, my brother-in-law bought a Rainbow vaccum Cleaner for about S$3K... The salesman came over to his place and demonstrated and it was suppose to clear bed bugs. I heard the waste water was so dirty, he was convinced to buy.

However, I also came across a Karcher model that is also using about the same technology. The difference is that this one is going for S$600. I heard it is just as good.

Has any forummer used either one? can get your honest reviews?

My parents and in laws owned Rainbows. They bought theirs years back. As with all vacuums, their suction power diminishes over time. There was a time where my mom advocated Rainbow is the best. Today she is using a Karcher and she says it is as good.

All in all, the most convincing is the dirty water. Because you can see that physically and then subconsciously think what a good job this machine is doing. A bag vacuum cleaner may be doing the job but you can't see the output thus sublimely makes one wonder if it is as effective? I will leave that to your better judgement.

I have used Dyson bagless vacuum and they are a strong performer if you do proper maintenance regularly. They clean well and the motor head works effectively with carpets and fabrics. It is a straight forward machine. Cleaning and maintenance is straight forward as well. Please do remember to clean the motor head too. It is quite expensive to have one replaced.

Personally for my new home, I have chosen Miele.

1. It is very light and maneuverable. This is a very big plus point. You do not want to lug around a heavy machine which is hard to maneuver. Vacuuming already is a chore, I don't want to worsen the experience.

2. It is a company with a good reference point for making excellent household products. Parts are easily available.

3. The machine is well designed. The machine has 3 360 degree rotating wheels. It is light and the extra fittings don't drop off or get in the way of work. The filters and bags are easy to change and it can be upgraded to HEPA! The edges are round so bumping into furniture is less damaging. You won't get your skin caught while extending or shortening the pipe shafts. Even the clip on floor cleaning head is designed whenever your clip it on, it is in the right angle, you don't have to adjust.

4. There are many options to upgrade the machine to specialize to different needs. Eg, swivel rotating head, ergonomic handles, different fittings for other cleaning activities, hepa filter etc.

My only downside to this machine is the color. Not Miele's fault, but my value for money decisions. They had the anniversary model which is gold in color that comes with upgrades at a cheaper price. So instead of a mean black sleek machine, I have a gold gaudy 'beng' machine.

So the question one should ask, effectiveness vs versatility. What will make your vacuuming chores more rewarding? Seeing the dirty water and feeling what a good job you did or finishing the chore in half the time as you don't have to fill up the machine, lug it around the house and then clean the machine after you use each time? I chose the second, needless to say. :rolleyes:

I do mop the house after vacuuming. I will give a review of the mop in the near future.

Hopes this helps you make a better informed decision on your next vacuum purchase. Cheers!