Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gnipihz

Story: Our Own Place

Updates:

Went to meet up with Perlyn and ah Kok yesterday morning. Had a nice breakfast at the kopitiam at Northlink with them. hahaha.

Started to discuss in detail for the wardrobe layout. Perlyn is really quite good in drawing upside down. (ie. picture is upright facing us when she draws)

Had been wondering how and what options are there as compared to Ikea. Guess it's not an issue at all. In the end our needs are quite simple.

mbr_wardrobe_original.jpg

Total length of MBR wardrobe shld be around 3.7m long. Still doesn't seem quite enough.

Renovation progress:

Flooring for the living, dining, kitchen all done. Now proceeding to the bedrooms.

The piping issues also resolved. =) :sport-smiley-004:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Our electronic appliances!!!

Time to reveal what our shopping has got us!

We have bought quite several items from Courts! Now pending delivery! Courts is a place that I had never thought of going there to purchase but sometimes their discounts can be quite deep. Especially if you get those 1st 5 sets limited deals...

Our fridge is the Samsung side by side model RS21-HNEPN. Made in Korea. Hopefully will last. The exterior is a nice brushed gun-metal grey color.

The interior is decent at 551litres. Although the freezer compartment does seem a tad too big. Maybe suitable for me to have tubs tubs tubs of ice cream.

Samsung+RS21HNEPN.jpg

Our TVs! We bought the Plasma to be placed in the living room for the "wow" colors and "wow" size. =) HD-Ready. Nothing special but just a nice 50" tv. Model: LG PT250

LG+50PT250.jpg

For our MBR, we bought a 42" Smart LED TV. LG 42LV5500

No 3D since it's so clumbersome for people who wear specs. Hopefully with the smart function, we can surf net. Should hook this up to computer as well.

Lg-42lv5500-led-tv-2.jpg

:P King Size Bed from Cellini and L-shaped Sofa from Nova furniture

We finalized our bed from Cellini!

It's going to be king sized and the mattress is Cellini's nightingale spinal supreme (the one with latex top. No idea if it's plush top or pillow top or whatever top... hahahaha). It's quite big...pray hard that MBR is not overly squeezed...

MBR+Cellini.png

Also during the last expo fair we had decided to buy the L-shaped fabric sofa from Nova furniture.

Fabric not yet chosen. We were convinced by their Sales Manager Edi (tradehub 21) to buy it. Had a hard time deciding leather or fabric.

Nova+sofa.JPG

Hopefully things are as good as Edi says. We also placed a deposit for a dining table. Had some reservations regarding it. Will go down and review it this week.

Suddenly feels quite poor.... sighz... :P

Edited by gnipihz

The "Royal Hammer" ? hahaha. after using it for hacking during 动土, it has been "downgraded" to normal commoner with the rest of the screwdrivers.

FSM said to use red ribbon to tie on the hammer. Maybe for auspicious reasons? :sport-smiley-004:

Heng Hend ah... so far all renovation still okie except for the floor, ceiling all slanted due to HDB's quality of building.

Hi gnipihz

How much do you pay for the aircon system? I am looking to buy one and hopefully get a reliable vendor to install

Updates to Aircon.

I bought from Sun Hup's aircon contact. A mitsubishi system 3 inverter with 24k BTU and 2x 9k BTU units.

They already came to do the pipings, drainages and trunking!

Here's the piping and insulation. Armaflex Class 1 1/2" and G22 copper piping.

aircon+trunking.JPG

aircon+trunking+2.JPG

Hi gnipihz

How much do you pay for the aircon system? I am looking to buy one and hopefully get a reliable vendor to install

Mitsubishi Electric. System 3 inverter. 1x 24k btu fan unit and 2x 9k btu fan unit. G22 copper pipes and 1/2 inch insulation.

$3500. the company is from called Winter Cool if i remember correctly.

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Guess what, maybe like all others have said, we cannot be too relaxed with contractors/ID. Our renovations surfaced some issues and Kok are suggesting to us how to resolve them.

Hence here begins the story of "A Series of Unfortunate Events".

Kitchen

1.) After we chosed the settled the purple laminates, Perlyn called 2 weeks later to say no more stocks. Need to wait till end of Oct. Sun Hup say they were played out by the vendor for stock availability. Really bad move as the purple is the highlight and we had really specified for it. In addition, Perlyn had checked and told us there are stocks when we confirmed it.

Solution: Kok will pay for air freight for the laminates to come in after upsetting us. Not the best way to do business but still it's a solution. Thumbsup for being responsible.

2.) With the laminates incident still super fresh (less than 2 days) we were given a new kitchen 3D drawing.

The original 3D drawing dimensions are grossly wrong. No one really knows what went wrong. Kok tells me the designer started the sink area before the box up pipe. Hence there's a difference of 40cm. But still, suddenly it's 1.5 door widths that's missing. => means missing length of 80 to 90cm. So a length of 5m, can have 80cm missing....

How did Sun Hup draw such nice 3D but the length of my kitchen wasn't so long? No one realized it during these 2 months. Now before carpentry is going to be up with the cabinet base done, the placement all went wrong. And suddenly a new 3D is thrusted into our faces telling us this will be the actual.

kitchen+3D+spot+the+difference.jpg

The cooker-hob will now be 20cm beside the oven. 40cm to the sink. 30cm to the overhanging dish rack.

How can accept right?

Solution: Now Kok suggests that we shift the tall cabinets and fridge to the left wall. This will then solve the issue of fire-hob too close to the wooden cabinets and the water-sink. This means we might incur more costs for more cabinets. And might delay the reno since we have to redo the kitchen base. Kok has at least been pro-active and understands our concerns.

MBR Toilet

We just realized that the MBR toilet tiles didn't match the grout lines at all. We can't accept this.

If they had started all from the same side, then due to small differences in tile sizes and shifted the lines, then we got nothing to say. But now.... Floor tiling starts from the left and Wall tiling starts from the right. Nowhere in the entire toilet can we see a single matching in the grout lines.

mbr+toilet+grout+lines.JPG

Solution: Kok says he'll get his tiler to overlay and try to match the grout lines. No choice unless we would consider hacking again. Not perfect but I guess we have to accept this. Be positive means double protection of waterproofing?

False Ceiling

The false ceilings are completed. However, the leveling is a problem. Sun Hup has done in with laser levelling device showing a perfect horizontal levelling to the FLOOR. It's so called, "water levelled".

dining+room+false+ceiling+with+red+lines.jpg

living+room+false+ceiling+with+red+lines.jpg

BUT, my ceiling and beams are all slanted. With a levelled false ceiling.... now everything looks out of place. The kitchen they say no choice due to tiling will show significant slantness. Now, even living and dining?

Solution:

For dining room view, Kok says that he'll box up the beam to make it look straight so that both the kitchen tile area and the false ceiling looks aligned.

For Living room, the false ceiling will be redone up to follow the beam/ceiling.

A series of unfortunate events... Hopefully it'll have a good ending.

2.) With the laminates incident still super fresh (less than 2 days) we were given a new kitchen 3D drawing.

The original 3D drawing dimensions are grossly wrong. No one really knows what went wrong. Kok tells me the designer started the sink area before the box up pipe. Hence there's a difference of 40cm. But still, suddenly it's 1.5 door widths that's missing. => means missing length of 80 to 90cm. So a length of 5m, can have 80cm missing....

How did Sun Hup draw such nice 3D but the length of my kitchen wasn't so long? No one realized it during these 2 months. Now before carpentry is going to be up with the cabinet base done, the placement all went wrong. And suddenly a new 3D is thrusted into our faces telling us this will be the actual.

kitchen+3D+spot+the+difference.jpg

The cooker-hob will now be 20cm beside the oven. 40cm to the sink. 30cm to the overhanging dish rack.

How can accept right?

Solution: Now Kok suggests that we shift the tall cabinets and fridge to the left wall. This will then solve the issue of fire-hob too close to the wooden cabinets and the water-sink. This means we might incur more costs for more cabinets. And might delay the reno since we have to redo the kitchen base. Kok has at least been pro-active and understands our concerns.

Just noticed something that you may wish to check out as well - The washer appears to be blocking the refuse chute? Can you still throw rubbish?

Just noticed something that you may wish to check out as well - The washer appears to be blocking the refuse chute? Can you still throw rubbish?

The 3D isn't so accurate. There is a gap at the area for the rubbish chute for accessibility.

:bangwall: Just hope that overall, A Series of Unfortunate Events will turn into something good. :furious:

Does anybody here in Renotalk totally skips the top cabinets? I wonder for cost savings, should I remove the entire row of top cabinets.

i shifted my tall cabinet to the other side but leave my fridge on the orig side because my fridge needs water pipe and just build low cabinets for the tall cabinet side

The 3D isn't so accurate. There is a gap at the area for the rubbish chute for accessibility.

:bangwall: Just hope that overall, A Series of Unfortunate Events will turn into something good. :furious:

Does anybody here in Renotalk totally skips the top cabinets? I wonder for cost savings, should I remove the entire row of top cabinets.

I have seen quite a few houses which do not have top cabinets.

BUT cost savings aside, you should definitely consider if you have sufficient storage space, esp for the next 5 years as well, as you grow your family.

Had a long long discussion with Sun Hup. Will go ahead with the kitchen cabinets as proposed by them. Was so upset with all the changes but they are not pushy and offered ideas to offset extra costs.

The kitchen will suddenly have extra 17ft.... Think total length shld be near 53ft of carpentry in the kitchen.

My feature wall also had to top up $$ due to the length of it. It's now around 15ft long?

Also earlier quotation doesn't have kitchen windows and also had to pay for removal of wall paper...

:jawdrop:My reno budget really burst ah.... I need to go India to sell myself. Delhi, Mumbai!!

It's been some time since I blogged on the progress of the reno. Let me update on the series of unfortunate events which I do hope will turn out nicely.

It's painfully slow due to the rectifications for the past 2 weeks. Life has been upside down with sleepness nights and being upset.

The slanted false ceilings are corrected. Now they really look much better. The entrance of the kitchen wall was also straightened.

pano+living+1.png

The kitchen cabinet and designs are settled. We have to fork out much more $$. At $95 per foot run, it really burst out budget with extra of 17 feet.

(There's an extra side kitchen cabinets which Sun Hup threw in for free which is not shown on this design.)

cfz1_with_handles.jpg

Purple ABS trimmings doesn't match the purple laminate we chosed. No choice but to choose black ABS trimmings.

Super worried if it'll be nice. So much choices but nothing close to the purple laminate we chosed. Sun Hup should have warned us much earlier. This purple laminate really gave us the "uber uber" high stress level.

abs+trimmings.png

Painting have also started. Base coat of paint was applied to 2 rooms already.

base+paint.png

Perlyn says by this Thurs painting will be completed. The aircon installation will then take place on Thurs.

Will be meeting the plumber, electrical and Sun Hup all together on Thurs night to finalize on the locations of all accessories and fittings.

It will be a long long night on Thurs....

This 2 weeks will be the renovation hectic lifestyle as next Saturday will be the delivery by Courts for all my electrical appliances.

Painting have also started. Base coat of paint was applied to 2 rooms already.

Perlyn says by this Thurs painting will be completed. The aircon installation will then take place on Thurs.

Will be meeting the plumber, electrical and Sun Hup all together on Thurs night to finalize on the locations of all accessories and fittings.

It will be a long long night on Thurs....

This 2 weeks will be the renovation hectic lifestyle as next Saturday will be the delivery by Courts for all my electrical appliances.

Hope all turns out for the best for you!