Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gnipihz

Story: Our Own Place

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

To Matrox,

Sneak Preview only.... haha. Didn't take any pics of the dresser. Can pm for details if you are really coming to see see. Likely we'll be in the house as the granite people should be installing the kitchen top.

To BuyNow7,

The floor tiles are something along light beige color. It's a common floor tile 600x600 in Hafary/Lian Seng Hin. Think the price listed there is around $3.20 or $3.30 psf.

In case people think they can get it at $301... I better state clearly. I bought my storage heater and rainshower there. Also bought the wall brackets there as well. If my memory not failing due to the reno, then it should be around $380 for rainshower and $20 - $25 for wall bracket and $190 for the 15l storage tank.

I got the same rain shower set n water tank combination and from the same shop too! Wow! Coincident!

In case people think they can get it at $301... I better state clearly. I bought my storage heater and rainshower there. Also bought the wall brackets there as well. If my memory not failing due to the reno, then it should be around $380 for rainshower and $20 - $25 for wall bracket and $190 for the 15l storage tank.

hi Bro, pardon my ignorance:

what is a wall bracket and what is it used for?

Et209, the uncle there very friendly right? :thumbs up:

We haven't test out the rainshower but the water at the hottest temperature can see the steam... (haven't taken a bath there before. hahahaha)

dinobros, the wall bracket is needed as our flat do not have concealed piping. i.e. if your pipes are coming out from inside the wall, then just simply fix the mixer onto it.

My pipes are exposed and are coming from the floor upwards towards the mixer. So you'll need a bracket to connect. there's 2 types of bracket. 1 nicer type of bracket has screws are concealed. I don't have a photo to post now but you can take a look at this

look for item 18153

preview+small+1+balcony+to+feature+wall.jpg

preview+3+small+mbr+wardrobe+to+toilet.jpg

Your TV feature wall looks great! The console is so long! Makes the living looks even bigger. :good:

Can we have a peek inside your wardrobe?

Edited by Dreaming

BMS Marble & Granite came over on Saturday to do the kitchen-top installation!

It's a tough job. And really really dusty. Mr Chan and his workers are good! Highly recommended.

The granite slabs are just so super heavy.

(my washing machine still in the box. will be installed under the granite slab which is supported by that wooden pole temporarily)

bmd+granite+top+reno.JPG

will post other pictures up once more cleaning and furnishing is in! stay tuned!

Today let me share on cove lights! How to do up LED lighting like what I had done for my own place.

I believe this will be of interest to many people doing their renovations or changing to cheaper long lasting source of lighting.

I'm not an expert and during my schooling days, electrical and power modules are my weakest. Please take this article as only a simple guide. You should always consult your electrician. =)

Cove lighting is for ambience and it's installed at the extension part of your false ceiling or L-box. Normally contractors/electrician will quote you numerous T5 light tubes + numerous light installations + numerous lighting points. These depends on the length of the covelights that you want.

However if you want to use LED instead, you can simple replace all the T5 tubes with a LED strip. So maybe your electrician will charge you 1 installation point and 1 lighting point.

LED strips comes in different power intensity. There's 2 versions that was offered to me: 3528 and 5050. I can't remember the exact specs for the strips but simply put: 5050 is 2x the brightness of 3528. Each LED on the strip of 5050 is 2x stronger and brighter. Each reel can contain up to 10m long in LED.

Anyway, each strip only has 2 wires. +ve and -ve polarity. Similar to a battery. haha.

LED+Strips1.JPG

We just need to connect them to a transformer. This transformer will covert our AC current to DC current for the strips. I bought the industrial type of transformer. Big ones that will support my double layered lengthy covelight design. It's able to support comfortably, 3x 5m in length of 5050 LED strips. Your electrician just need to run from the light switch, 3 wires, 1 live, 1 neutral and 1 earth and connect to the transformer. (there's labelling on the transformer)

LED+driver2.JPG

Viola. It's done. 1 transformer for my yellow LED strip and 1 transformer for my white LED strip.

I got 2 switches for individual on/off on the yellow lights and the white lights. Total used 9.5m of yellow and 9.5m of white for covelighting in my living and dining with 2 transformers (1 for yellow and 1 for white). Total cost less than $400 for these area. I bought lots more for the feature wall, and covelights in mbr as well. hahaha.

Here you can see the inside of cove lighting.

Cove+lighting+LED.JPG

2 LED strips just paste unto those normal white wire trunking and then placed inside the cove light area.(LED strips comes with 3M tape behind. easy to install!)

Anyway hope this helps whoever that is interested in doing something similar. Here's what mine looks like. forgot to switch on yellow covelights before taking this photo... hahaha. But i think you guys should be able to get the idea!

covelighting+effect.jpg

Edited by gnipihz

The past week + weekend really came and go in a flash.

Furniture are coming in.

MBR bed frame from Cellini. It does occupy a huge chunk of my room... hahaha... Luckily the calculation and estimation was good. Anyway the mattress (placed in other room first) couldn't fit into HDB lift. The workers had to carry up and every floor have to pay $10. 3 guys carried 1 mattress... -_-" really heavy. I didn't expect the weight difference between a Queen and a King to be so much.

cellini+bedframe+in+mbr.JPG

Sofa.... another bulky item. Delivered! yeah! looking forward to open up soon. We bought it from NOVA. The sales manager that attended to us is called Edi. Very nice fellow. We had earlier placed a deposit of $50 for another table and had changed of mind. He allowed us to refund via cheque. (need to wait a few days).

sofa+delivered.JPG

The sofa is a nice size. Looking forward to throw away all the packaging and rest on it to watch tv.

We had our 2x 2m long blinds from Ikea installed. It's a big of challenge since our beam isn't exactly straight. (Thanks to Sun Hup for helping to install.) They are full black in color. The sun is too strong making it look purplish. haha. just nice fit our color scheme of purple, grey, white and black.

blinds+installed.JPG

Saturday was meant to do final inspection and handover by Sun Hup. But alas, last minute, the plumber broke my vanity sink.

I used entire Saturday to look for replacements due no or low stock availability. finally at SSC at expo found 1 last piece. With a small dink at surface that I have no choice but to accept. Hopefully plumber will get things right today. Will need to start to do the minor deco items soon. Paintings, pictures, clocks, deco stuff at display cabinets etc..

Anybody have any sort of checklist to do when the reno is completing? I'm worried that something is not done and I miss it out.

gnipihz,

Thanks for sharing your nice reno. :)

On the LED lights part, it's strange. I was told the 3528 is brighter than the 5050. I saw it at the shop and indeed it's brighter. But you mentioned otherwise.

Or maybe there's something about LEDs I'm not sure....

haha... It's simple!

On led strips, there's different versions of the 3528 and 5050.

You need to compare the no. of LED on the strips and the type of LED on it. Someone was asking me how many LEDS are there on my strip then I realised there's more to just 4D numbers to compare power. Some strips actually have more LED on them. example, 150 leds vs 300 leds on 1 strip. I believe 3528 and 5050 have these configurations. :dribble:

I read online that "3528-LED is smaller size as compare to 5050-LED, every 5050 LED diode actually compose of 3set of 3528-LED diode."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5004968

Hope this help and hope I'm correct ah.... :yamseng:

Okie... thanks for the clarification. :)

Then this makes it very confusing. Cos we can't compare apples with apples....

For eg, shop A may have 3528 with more LEDs than 5050 on 1 strip so shop A will tell me 3528 is brighter than 5050. Which was what I was told.

But shop B may have more LEDs on 5050 than 3528 on 1 strip and they will tell me 5050 is brighter than 3528.

:unsure:

haha... It's simple!

On led strips, there's different versions of the 3528 and 5050.

You need to compare the no. of LED on the strips and the type of LED on it. Someone was asking me how many LEDS are there on my strip then I realised there's more to just 4D numbers to compare power. Some strips actually have more LED on them. example, 150 leds vs 300 leds on 1 strip. I believe 3528 and 5050 have these configurations. :dribble:

I read online that "3528-LED is smaller size as compare to 5050-LED, every 5050 LED diode actually compose of 3set of 3528-LED diode."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5004968

Hope this help and hope I'm correct ah.... :yamseng:

Okie... thanks for the clarification. :)

Then this makes it very confusing. Cos we can't compare apples with apples....

For eg, shop A may have 3528 with more LEDs than 5050 on 1 strip so shop A will tell me 3528 is brighter than 5050. Which was what I was told.

But shop B may have more LEDs on 5050 than 3528 on 1 strip and they will tell me 5050 is brighter than 3528.

:unsure:

So safest just buy the brightest that the shop offers! Or if you can, insist only on those 300 LED per 5m length type. Think it's the maximum already. Then get 5050 version. Double confirm brightest possible. hahaha. :yamseng:

Large Photo Printing

Anybody got lobang to print canvas like photo then wrap around a wooden frame? I was wondering if I can go bras bersah to print those banners then ask them to wrap. Then can become paintings...

What you guys think? Possible? Worth it? :paint::paint::paint: