Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
PublicLife

Hdb Floorplans: The Best (And Worst) Layouts In Public Housing

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Found some of the info from this research on public housing in Singapore to be quite interesting, especially the part about layout configuration of the units in older 'linear' type HDB blocks: http://www.morrischia.com/david/portfolio/boozy/research/hdb_20flats_20analysis.html

Thanks for this thread Publiclife! Really informative n eye opening. :)

What I really like about EMs is the huge potential to have a right sized open kitchen and an extremely generous living area.

Actually, I would have gotten an EA if I found any that came with 3 toilets. Unfortunately the ones I saw all seem to have only two toilets. You can practically do laps around the generous living and dining area in some of the EAs, or even construct another room to have 5 bedrooms. Can't remember which T-Blog I saw that from tho... :P

For EMs, I found this explanation by Blownup to be really useful when I 1st started looking at EMs:

This design should be the 1st EM design in Singapore. Many owners built a roof on top of the balcony. And this design originally does not come with a toilet at the lower floor, just a wash area.

EM01.jpg

This design should be around 20 year old now which I think is the best EM design in terms of space arrangement, esp I like the big balcony which can put at least 2 mahjong tables.

EM02.jpg

This the smallest and last batch of EM w/o the individual rubbish chute which I'm staying now.

EM647.jpg

Source: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4853&st=760

Do you think HDB was trying to be funny with a semi heart-shaped Master Bedroom? :P

I don't know... But I'm pretty sure they were trying to make a 'point' with this one... ;)

Doesn't seem like HDB designers are fengshui believers... all these weird apartment and room shapes will give FS masters a really hard time with their missing sectors and sharp corners.

Doesn't seem like HDB designers are fengshui believers... all these weird apartment and room shapes will give FS masters a really hard time with their missing sectors and sharp corners.

Weird indeed. In feng shui, we prefer houses with squarish or rectangular shape. No amount of feng shui cure can bring back the effects of houses with missing sectors, bends and sharp corners!!

Edited by mae29

Weird indeed. In feng shui, we prefer houses with squarish or rectangular shape. No amount of feng shui cure can bring back the effects of houses with missing sectors, bends and sharp corners!!

Hehe, I actually wondered what you'll think of those apartments.

FS lesson learnt... no missing corners and weird shapes.

Thanks for the contribution, adidaem! :good: Completely missed this one! It is amazing! Never seen an EM layout like this before.

Most welcome... I would love to add these unusual EMs that I've seen in pics but unfortunately I do not have the floor plans:

- Bishan 'sky terrace' EM (been to one for viewing - upstairs is just 2 bedrooms and a toilet)

- Sunset Way's triangular EMs (not just limited to Sunset Way but I'm not sure where else in the East)

- 'Lofts' in Hougang and Sin Ming areas... with stairs going up to a little room and living rooms with high ceilings that you can play badminton in.

- One of the 4 rare Strathmore penthouse EMs

- One of the rare Choa Chu Kang penthouse EMs

There are also those old HDB terraces in Jalan Bahagia & Mamor...

Just for laughs... Fun with Shapes with the HDB!

Circle:

FloorPlan.jpg

In I-Ching Feng Shui, we refer to IMAGES.

A Broken-Heart MBR and a Toilet in the centre of house. :jawdrop: