Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
schiz0id

The One With The Gargantuan Task

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Oh my.. that's a good one! Thanks adidaem :)

See if I can catch the contractor again.

That's a good tip, adidaem. :sport-smiley-004:

Most welcome. Think better if I give a more detailed explanation. But not necessary if the contractor is honest to tell u where he laid the water and drainage pipes lar.

Look at the kitchen layout and see if you can sport any kitchen island with a faucet - that may indicate hidden pipes to supply the water AND the waste water drainage for the free standing island.

If no island, see if you can find the drainage hole for the kitchen... (standard location so use your kitchen drainage hole location for reference) if it's some distance away from the sink (which could be the case if the kitchen sink was relocated), visualise a straight line from the kitchen sink to the drainage hole and see if you can imagine where the drainage pipes will run - could the imaginary line bisect where your ceiling is leaking?

I think a way to check is to run the water in the sink for a good 30 min or longer - if it's really a leakage, it could worsen your ceiling leakage sufficiently for you to make a better assessment. But don't do this without the owner's permission lar. I know I'll be **** upset if my neighbour does this without my permission. That's why, best to get the owner on your side. Contact him, talk to him nicely and convince him it's really in his best interest to make his contractor rectify shoddy work if that's what it really is.

Good luck... 3 more weeks. Looking forward to the end huh? I know how it feels. :)

Most welcome. Think better if I give a more detailed explanation. But not necessary if the contractor is honest to tell u where he laid the water and drainage pipes lar.

Look at the kitchen layout and see if you can sport any kitchen island with a faucet - that may indicate hidden pipes to supply the water AND the waste water drainage for the free standing island.

If no island, see if you can find the drainage hole for the kitchen... (standard location so use your kitchen drainage hole location for reference) if it's some distance away from the sink (which could be the case if the kitchen sink was relocated), visualise a straight line from the kitchen sink to the drainage hole and see if you can imagine where the drainage pipes will run - could the imaginary line bisect where your ceiling is leaking?

I think a way to check is to run the water in the sink for a good 30 min or longer - if it's really a leakage, it could worsen your ceiling leakage sufficiently for you to make a better assessment. But don't do this without the owner's permission lar. I know I'll be **** upset if my neighbour does this without my permission. That's why, best to get the owner on your side. Contact him, talk to him nicely and convince him it's really in his best interest to make his contractor rectify shoddy work if that's what it really is.

Good luck... 3 more weeks. Looking forward to the end huh? I know how it feels. :)

Thanks for the explanation, adidaem! Really appreciate it.

I was in luck! Caught the uncle who did the wet works for them when I went upstairs. So with no owner nor ID to pay me lip service, I had a very candid conversation with him.

He showed me where one pipe ran and it was not near the 'problem area'. They hadn't relocated the sink too. Then I went on to ask him about the waterproofing layer and the laying of tiles. He said that he was the one who did the kitchen floor himself - both times! And he told me that he did the waterproofing layer twice. Each time before laying the floor tiles.

I've learnt that the length of time taken to do the upstairs unit is a great conversation opener and the contractors warm up very quickly. :P

Asked him once more when he came down to look at my house. He reassured me again that waterproofing was done twice and they have never flooded the kitchen during the 10+ months they did renovations there.

Will continue to monitor the situation but I think I can sleep a teeny bit easier now since I've heard it from the horse's mouth. :)

Hi buddy,

have u gotten the renovator to knock off those greenish lumps & touched up your ceiling yet?

Please don't delay getting them to do so... the sooner the touch up is done, u'll be able to assess the situation within a supposed shorter period of time.

If there are no sinks or water points above those blackish spots on ur kitchen ceiling, then there's a higher chance that u guys are safe.

There is also a fair chance under such a situation that those are water which had been collected in the cement & finally given way after months of hacking & retiling.

Waterproofing: Not sure what the norm in the renovation industry for kitchens (flat) are but I remembered that my contractor mentioned to me they would normally put in 4 layers altho' 3 is already sufficient.

Do u want to countercheck with ur ID where the waterproofing is concerned? He should be in the best position to advise you becox he's expected to know what's going on.

Edited by edenstrauss

Hey eden,

Yup, the ceiling was scraped off, treated with some chemicals and plastered.

Not sure what the industry standard is now, but I know there are quite a few layers of waterproofing in the usual wet areas that were done on my side. :)

So with that episode behind us, we are looking forward with the tight timeline and precision planning now. :good:

The plasterer guffawed at my 3-week timeline. Bah..... *rolls up sleeve* :fire:

Mad rush but we die die have to make it. I really don't wanna sleep at the bus stop for a few weeks. zz

Wish us luck! :jammin:

Hi buddy,

I'm pretty sure that things would turn out well for u folks!

Yes nobody enjoys camping out there... I've had a neighbour who told us that his family camped out at Pasir Ris Park jux for 2 days before the reno was completed! For a person whose never an outdoor creature, I stared at him like he had horns on his head! :huh:

But is definitely possible & nobody would want to be in their shoes. I think ur ID wouldn't make u guys camp by the roadside or under the bridge... :P

No kidding... Why not just rent a chalet for 2 days? Cannot imagine sleeping in a tent...

Hi buddy,

I'm pretty sure that things would turn out well for u folks!

Yes nobody enjoys camping out there... I've had a neighbour who told us that his family camped out at Pasir Ris Park jux for 2 days before the reno was completed! For a person whose never an outdoor creature, I stared at him like he had horns on his head! :huh:

But is definitely possible & nobody would want to be in their shoes. I think ur ID wouldn't make u guys camp by the roadside or under the bridge... :P

No kidding... Why not just rent a chalet for 2 days? Cannot imagine sleeping in a tent...

Haha you guys are so cute..

I sure hope not too man. But yes, what adidaem suggested ever crossed our minds before. Scary eh? But it's super peak period now.. Just imagine! :o

glad that you may not have sucha big problem on your hands afterall after talking to the person who did the floor tiling upstairs!

and hearing about the delay of your argly pillar, remind me never to get on your bad side cos i will be scared to see your duh face and change of tone wacko.gif (j/k!)

glad that you may not have sucha big problem on your hands afterall after talking to the person who did the floor tiling upstairs!

and hearing about the delay of your argly pillar, remind me never to get on your bad side cos i will be scared to see your duh face and change of tone wacko.gif (j/k!)

Haha sleek you're so funny.. *embarrassed*

I'm really a very nice person. I usually channel all my anger on the roads only.. Ooops! Too much info.. :lol:

I can't wait for tomoro when the stiffener is finally removed! :fire:

STIFFENER UPDATE (LAST!)

Okay, this is it! Last update about the stiffener. It's been sooo long that the stiffener has come to be affectionately known as the "sore thumb". :lol:

CIMG0505.jpg

A last look at the good 'ol boy who's been there since they built this block of flats over 20 years ago.

CIMG0517.jpg

And finally.... the moment we have all been waiting for..... GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE to the stiffener! :P

IMG_0064.jpg

View from the main door is a clear view into the house. Don't have to worry about :bangwall: when we come in. :good: You can still see the re-bars sticking out from the fallen stiffener at the bottom left corner. ;)

Hope that's the last I have to deal with any more paperwork or HDB. I'm sure my HDB TO is glad to not have to hear my voice anymore. Hahaha! :lol:

Looking forward, electrician is coming tomorrow to remove the mess of wires. And the tiles, with all the skirting and grouting, wil be done by this week! :sport-smiley-004: All the debris should be cleared by this evening.

Edited by schiz0id

Thanks eden! It sure looks bigger now without the stiffener! :)

I wish that my flat is that huge too!

It's always nice to stay in a large place where it's airy with lotx of space. But the down-side is that u've got to spend more time for cleaning up. :P