Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Jeanius

All About Leathers

Finally, a video clip that will explain everything you need to know about the various grades of leather and how these various grades are created at the tannery. Should clear all doubts and misunderstandings once and for all. Enjoy. :sport-smiley-004:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have been using the fingernail test everywhere I go now. I can't resist testing it. Of course, sometimes the test is inconclusive for me...because I am not sure what I should be looking out for.

Extracted from one of my favourite leather websites.

Leather furniture Care

Leather furniture sales have increased significantly over the last 5 years and one major problem has now become clear- IGNORANCE.

IGNORANCE in the fact that firstly customers rarely know what kind of leather they have bought and secondly the salesperson's ignorance in not advising the correct way to look after it.

There are 6 main types of leather used to make furniture, you need to know which you have.

1. Sealed Leathers, often called Corrected Grain. This leather is top surface coloured then a clear protective sealant is sprayed over the colour, this leather is the most common, to test if you have this leather drip a small amount of water on a hidden area, if it sits there for 15 minutes or more, you have a sealed leather.

2. Antique Rubbed. These usually have a very shiny finish, in the case of Antique Rubbed a base coat of colour is applied first, dried then a dark shade is applied over the top, areas are then rubbed and the light colour underneath shows through. A protective coating is then sprayed over the top to seal in the colours, PU is as above but without the rubbing process.

3. Semi Aniline. This leather is coloured by dyes which penetrate the leather, a thin clear sealant is sprayed over it, this sealant gives some protection, but not much, to test for Semi Aniline, drip water on a hidden area and if it soaks in within 5 minutes you have Semi Aniline.

4. Pure Aniline. Dyed as above but without any protective sealant, fades and stains easily. Do the water test, water will soak in within 30 seconds.

5. Waxed pull-up. This is a pure aniline or sometimes Nubuck, waxed or oiled, this treatment gives some protection against spilt liquids, but fades and dries out quickly with heat and clothing. It also shows slight "scratches" if rubbed with a blunt object, this is sometimes done at the factory to give an aged look.

6. PU Leather or Bicast Leather. This is a leather with a plastic type coating and generally very shiny. It's very similar to Patent leather often used on shoes. Keep away from strong heat, clean with a just a damp cloth. Cannot be conditioned because of the plastic coating. Conditioning could cause the coating to part from the base leather.

THE WATER TEST - RESULTS:

Antiqued Rubbed: The water will remain for around 10 minutes

Semi Aniline: The water will remain for between 3-5 minutes.

Waxed Pull-Up: The water will not be absorbed at all.

Jeanius,

Most entry level sofas use 0.9-1.1 mm leather in Singapore which is actually good enough for a mass market sofa.

Sam, in that case my sofa of 0.8-1.1 should be good enough? I still keep thinking that the thicker it is, the better.

Typical Singaporean thinking I guess.

Jeanius,

Most entry level sofas use 0.9-1.1 mm leather in Singapore which is actually good enough for a mass market sofa.

SamTheMan

Agree, most of the leather sofas in Singapore & Malaysia used 0.9-1.1mm, as you said, for the mass market. As our manufacturer in China OEM for an Italian & German brand name, the europe standard for their entry level is 1.3-1.5mm, we have been buying from them for the past 4 years and till today we do not have a single complain on leather cracking, peeling & tearing. It is more expensive then what most mass market shops like EL are retailing, but the assurance and beauty of a fine leather is worth it. We have a warranty of 2 years for the leather upholstery under normal condition of household use and as i said in another post, will soon extend it to 3. Our Sales has never been better as satisfied customers after 3 years are refering their family & friends to us.

Maybe you might like to ask EL what are the terms for their 5 years warraty. Looking at it, CASE will have many more cases to handle in two years time.

:yamseng:

I have been using the fingernail test everywhere I go now. I can't resist testing it. Of course, sometimes the test is inconclusive for me...because I am not sure what I should be looking out for.

Another victim has succumbed to having an unhealthy obsession with leather. :rofl: Welcome to the leather lovers club. The fingernail test is just a quick, easy, fairly accurate and discrete test to determine if it is real leather only. It will not be able to tell you the quality of the leather.

Another victim has succumbed to having an unhealthy obsession with leather. :rofl: Welcome to the leather lovers club. The fingernail test is just a quick, easy, fairly accurate and discrete test to determine if it is real leather only. It will not be able to tell you the quality of the leather.

Just to add on, this test will also not be able to tell you if it is split leather. I have some split leather samples and with advanced technology, they feel like top grain leather. Time can only tell if it wears as well as top grain.

Leather peeling is actually the PU layer that is sprayed on bonded leather or split leather surface. It is like using normal emulsion paints to paint an exterior wall. With technology, they now have wheather shield paint, if they have it for walls, they can also have something for sofa upholstery.

So the only assurance is to buy from reputable firms which warranties the upholstery should something happens to it 18 mths down the road.

SamTheMan

Agree, most of the leather sofas in Singapore & Malaysia used 0.9-1.1mm, as you said, for the mass market. As our manufacturer in China OEM for an Italian & German brand name, the europe standard for their entry level is 1.3-1.5mm, we have been buying from them for the past 4 years and till today we do not have a single complain on leather cracking, peeling & tearing. It is more expensive then what most mass market shops like EL are retailing, but the assurance and beauty of a fine leather is worth it. We have a warranty of 2 years for the leather upholstery under normal condition of household use and as i said in another post, will soon extend it to 3. Our Sales has never been better as satisfied customers after 3 years are refering their family & friends to us.

Maybe you might like to ask EL what are the terms for their 5 years warraty. Looking at it, CASE will have many more cases to handle in two years time.

:yamseng:

Hi Jeanius

So you are here, you are changing your warranty from 2 years to 3 years, so may I know what does your warranty covers? Does it says if your leather is damaged look for us and we change it for you? You have warranty for leather too, I am quite skeptical and curious about the warranty that you offer. I thought you posted something which says that no companies in Singapore gives surface waranty, not even for 1 year?

If you are so confident and there isnt a single complain about your leather why dont increase it to 4 years?

You claimed that you are an expert in leather and you dont even have confidence in your own products. you are merely a profiteer who will leave your customer in lurch after the 2 years warranty because you know that leather even 0.9mm to 1.1mm entry level leather lasts much longer than that, not to say that yours is 1.3 to 1.5mm in thickness.

From this post of yours we know what is your true intention. You cannot commit as much as EL and yet you try to persuade others not to believe in us. Please keep all your hypocritical thinking to yourself.

Edited by Executiveliving

Hi Jeanius

So you are here, you are changing your warranty from 2 years to 3 years, so may I know what does your warranty covers? Does it says if your leather is damaged look for us and we change it for you? You have warranty for leather too, I am quite skeptical and curious about the warranty that you offer. I thought you posted something which says that no companies in Singapore gives surface waranty, not even for 1 year?

If you are so confident and there isnt a single complain about your leather why dont increase it to 4 years?

You claimed that you are an expert in leather and you dont even have confidence in your own products. you are merely a profiteer who will leave your customer in lurch after the 2 years warranty because you know that leather even 0.9mm to 1.1mm entry level leather lasts much longer than that, not to say that yours is 1.3 to 1.5mm in thickness.

From this post of yours we know what is your true intention. You cannot commit as much as EL and yet you try to persuade others not to believe in us. Please keep all your hypocritical thinking to yourself.

Hi EL

Please read through the posts here and learn something and don't BS others with your little knowledge about leather. I don't know what you are writing about above.

In my posts here, like minded people are sharing what we know about leather and hope that readers are not deceive by Sales people just wanting to make a sales.

So what's wrong with you, you feel that we are sharing to much info which differs from what you know, is it. As i have said before, you are so patetic. If EL is offering a 5 year warranty for their mid-low end sofas, that is great, if we are giving a 5 year warraty on upholstery for our sofas, i will definitly want the world to know about it.

My question to you are;

1) You use 'Bovine' leather, so is it 100% Top Grain Cowhide, if it is, why use the term 'Bovine' leather?

2) 5 years warranty, does it cover the upholstery? What are the exclusions or inclusions that you had mentioned before?

3) Tuscany leather, what is the tannery name?

4) Your company factory, what is the address? I might consider buying from your factory if they offer us a 5 year warranty for their upholstery. Send me the address so that i can visit since i am in Malaysia.

You have never answer any of these questions and you claim that your company has nothing to hide, a whole lot of bulls there.

By the way, no matter what thickness of cowhide leather you used, if it is not 100% Top Grain Cowhide leather and if it is not processed by a reputable tannery, it will not last. The PU on the surface will start to peel in a matter of time.

Edited by Jeanius

Jeanius is right that it is more important that the raw hides be processed by a reputable tannery and not judged their quality solely on the leather thickness and country of origin. In this regard, I would encourage those who would like to learn more about the leather industry to subscribe to leather journals and publications in order to gain an in-depth understanding and appreciation of the leather industry. Below is a link to one of the many online leather publications for your reading pleasure. Enjoy! :yamseng:

http://www.leathermag.com/news/categoryfront.php/id/217/Top_20_tanners.html

Hi EL

Please read through the posts here and learn something and don't BS others with your little knowledge about leather. I don't know what you are writing about above.

In my posts here, like minded people are sharing what we know about leather and hope that readers are not deceive by Sales people just wanting to make a sales.

So what's wrong with you, you feel that we are sharing to much info which differs from what you know, is it. As i have said before, you are so patetic. If EL is offering a 5 year warranty for their mid-low end sofas, that is great, if we are giving a 5 year warraty on upholstery for our sofas, i will definitly want the world to know about it.

My question to you are;

1) You use 'Bovine' leather, so is it 100% Top Grain Cowhide, if it is, why use the term 'Bovine' leather?

2) 5 years warranty, does it cover the upholstery? What are the exclusions or inclusions that you had mentioned before?

3) Tuscany leather, what is the tannery name?

4) Your company factory, what is the address? I might consider buying from your factory if they offer us a 5 year warranty for their upholstery. Send me the address so that i can visit since i am in Malaysia.

You have never answer any of these questions and you claim that your company has nothing to hide, a whole lot of bulls there.

By the way, no matter what thickness of cowhide leather you used, if it is not 100% Top Grain Cowhide leather and if it is not processed by a reputable tannery, it will not last. The PU on the surface will start to peel in a matter of time.

Hi Jeanius

I hope that you are not suffering from amnesia. I had answer all of your questions above. Refer back to my posts in EL's thread and you will see those answers that had been put to you umpteen times. I do not know why you keep asking me the same questions over and over again. If you do not understand then I think its your problem, its an irony that your nick rhymes with genius.

Jeanius is right that it is more important that the raw hides be processed by a reputable tannery and not judged their quality solely on the leather thickness and country of origin. In this regard, I would encourage those who would like to learn more about the leather industry to subscribe to leather journals and publications in order to gain an in-depth understanding and appreciation of the leather industry. Below is a link to one of the many online leather publications for your reading pleasure. Enjoy! :yamseng:

http://www.leathermag.com/news/categoryfront.php/id/217/Top_20_tanners.html

Hi Dave

Have you read Animal Farm? Napoleon is always right. Who said that? Boxer? Benjamin? Squealer? Hahaha bring me back to my literature days.

Hi Jeanius

I hope that you are not suffering from amnesia. I had answer all of your questions above. Refer back to my posts in EL's thread and you will see those answers that had been put to you umpteen times. I do not know why you keep asking me the same questions over and over again. If you do not understand then I think its your problem, its an irony that your nick rhymes with genius.

Oh yes sorry, i am suffering from amnesia, please do quote this post for all to read again.

1) What type of animal is your 'Bovine' leather? If your answer is cowhide leather, why called it 'Bovine'?

2) What grade of 'Tuscan leather' are you using? What is the thickness of the article?

3) What does your 5 year warranty covers? Does it cover the upholstery for 5 years from tearing or cracking under normal household use?

4) Where is your factory in Malaysia? I would gladly get your your factory to OEM if it covers 5 year for leather upholstery.

Thnak you. Hear from you soon.

Edited by Jeanius

Hi Dave

Have you read Animal Farm? Napoleon is always right. Who said that? Boxer? Benjamin? Squealer? Hahaha bring me back to my literature days.

Interesting that you should bring up Animal Farm into this thread. The famous maxim "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad" can be nicely interpreted to mean that all furniture (99% of all sofa furniture are 4 legged) are inherently Good, it is only the 2 legged Bad furniture manufacturer/salesman who turn them into crap. :sport-smiley-018:

Just to put this tread back on the top for all who wants to know more about leather.

Happy New 2012 Year to all! May you all make wise decision and not get con this year. Beware of shops closing down or changing their names after CNY 2012. This is usually what happen when shops you visited over promise and under deliver and all warranty made during your purchase becomes void.

"GONG XI FA CAI 2012"

Edited by Jeanius