Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

}[ No Money Still Wanna Do Reno ]{

I alrdy sign up with contractor, doin up false ceiling at foyer, living rm, dining area, passageway n mbr. Platform at the windows in living rm, built in wardrobe n settee in mbr. Feature wall for bomb shelter. Vanity top n full length mirror at mbr toilet. Tempered glass door for kitchen entrance, grilles for whole hse n windows at service yard. And not forgettin the cabinets for kitchen. Tats all i can remember. Carpentry r the most expensive in reno.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My husband did all these using floor-planner.

Top view:

6586652471_6e819767b9_z_d.jpg

3D view:

6586652105_94b3938a33_b_d.jpg

If you notice, there is no tv in the house.

We 'll probably get a projector for movies, and use our iMac as tv.

All these will be kept in the study/ guest room.

It's bc the baby can't watch any tv until she is 4-5 yrs old.

And I think our guests won't be bored without a tv in the living room,

As their purpose to visit s is to talk to us, not to watch tv right?

i like the 'concept'. a tight leash on money constraints will result in a very creative effort both to keep within the expendable as well as making the money work extra hard to achieve the end point.

Thanks for ur comment. We are trying hard to let money work for us. Hopefully the final look is a OK one, not rojak-like. Hix...

I am gonna try since it's cheaper.

Try loh.. Then write a review okie, :notti:

I alrdy sign up with contractor, doin up false ceiling at foyer, living rm, dining area, passageway n mbr. Platform at the windows in living rm, built in wardrobe n settee in mbr. Feature wall for bomb shelter. Vanity top n full length mirror at mbr toilet. Tempered glass door for kitchen entrance, grilles for whole hse n windows at service yard. And not forgettin the cabinets for kitchen. Tats all i can remember. Carpentry r the most expensive in reno.

All these things u will get one contractor to do for you? You also dislike the original look of the master toilet hah? So are you having a renovation now?

how much roughly for the systemind platform? it looks nice... but the height seem a bit too high leh... not sure whether its ok if you have it next to the windows. i think there are height limit of platform if its next to windows.

Things you wanted seem very nice and high class... hahahaha.... hoffen kitchen looks fantastic!! :sport-smiley-004:

you need to talk to many ID/contractor before you will find one you are comfortable with to do your reno. its not easy.... that is why most headache is to find the right person.

ALL THE BEST!!

how much roughly for the systemind platform? it looks nice... but the height seem a bit too high leh... not sure whether its ok if you have it next to the windows. i think there are height limit of platform if its next to windows.

Things you wanted seem very nice and high class... hahahaha.... hoffen kitchen looks fantastic!! :sport-smiley-004:

you need to talk to many ID/contractor before you will find one you are comfortable with to do your reno. its not easy.... that is why most headache is to find the right person.

ALL THE BEST!!

Hi May_dream,

My hubby's tag line: Don't say compromise!

Systemind platformwith two hidden tables for my living room (dont remember exact measurement, abt 3x2m/++) cost 4.5k, with installation. 30cm high. Just right for the window. But this we don't need to worry for now, can slowly save up money to get it later. :rolleyes: we choose to have this instead of opting for a cheaper version bc, firstly we respect the patent that Design Tray has, secondly, hubby loves the solid wood material (I jumped on it n no quek sound was created, good quality) n the storage option, thirdly, can move the whole platform to new place in the future. we are not getting any sofa or tv console/ feature wall as well as TVs so money can be saved for this.

We r with budget but we dont want to sacrifice the quality. That is why the "expensive stuff" r in our Reno brief.. Haha.. But not all are to be purchased or get done immediately. We will get kitchen first, plumbing n piping works, then electrical works. The rest is to be done slowly later after we move in. What makes the house look nice in the end are the furnitures, and little stuff we use in the house, and these can be done at our own pace.

Hoffen kitchen is at $900 per meter for bottom cabinets. With my kitchen size, I can totally afford to get L-shaped bottom cabinet from hoffen n the cost will be jut a bit higher than a normal customized kitchen cabinets. And I think it can last me for quite long. since I cook daily, hubby n I agree to get a good kitchen.

At my sister in law's place, she had done an expensive renovation abt 7-8 yrs ago. And her kitchen was in bad shape after just a few years of barely using... Why? Bad quality in the first place. She just spent another big amount to re-do the kitchen. To me, not a good quality carpentry work again. Waste of money. At my current place, father in law spent big money on his kitchen n it still works well until now, after close to 10 yrs. just that arrangement for drawers n cabinets r bad. I learn a lot from looking at these two kitchens.

Oh yeah, the ping pong table door will be KIV as we foresee a few problems using it. :lol:

Edited by piknik

Hi May_dream,

We r with budget but we dont want to sacrifice the quality. That is why the "expensive stuff" r in our Reno brief.. Haha.. But not all are to be purchased or get done immediately. We will get kitchen first, plumbing n piping works, then electrical works. The rest is to be done slowly later after we move in. What makes the house look nice in the end are the furnitures, and little stuff we use in the house, and these can be done at our own pace.

Hoffen kitchen is at $900 per meter for bottom cabinets. With my kitchen size, I can totally afford to get L-shaped bottom cabinet from hoffen n the cost will be jut a bit higher than a normal customized kitchen cabinets. And I think it can last me for quite long. since I cook daily, hubby n I agree to get a good kitchen.

Oh yeah, the ping pong table door will be KIV as we foresee a few problems using it. :lol:

omg..is there a typo? $900 per meter is freaking expensive. at that price, it should last u a lifetime! :)

normal kitchen cabinets can last a good 10yrs if done by a proper carpenter. But most of the time, its the user who needs to maintain it properly.

eh, i think the ping pong table is quite useless to be brutally honest... money can be spent in better places. No offense ya. :)

Looking forward to your reno, :)

Hi May_dream,

Systemind platformwith two hidden tables for my living room (dont remember exact measurement, abt 3x2m/++) cost 4.5k, with installation. 30cm high. Just right for the window. But this we don't need to worry for now, can slowly save up money to get it later. :rolleyes: we choose to have this instead of opting for a cheaper version bc, firstly we respect the patent that Design Tray has, secondly, hubby loves the solid wood material (I jumped on it n no quek sound was created, good quality) n the storage option, thirdly, can move the whole platform to new place in the future. we are not getting any sofa or tv console/ feature wall as well as TVs so money can be saved for this.

hhmmm... systemind platform for 4.5k is quite ex but since its solid wood, then i think its ok. mine was 2k for 4.5mx3m. but the height was only 10cm. any higher alraedy breach the height limit that are allowed by HDB for the distance between platform to the windows.

you say its just right for the windows.... that would means that your windows are quite high... from floor to the start of the window is 1.3m? Read the hdb rules here:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelinesBuilding?OpenDocument#FloorFinishes

Hoffen kitchen cabinet sound good.... well, if mine is not working well anymore in few years, i might consider this. hehehehe....

Installation of hardwood platform on floor

-Recommended room height to be minimum of 2.4 metres

- The void between timber joists beneath platform must not be sealed with cement/other materials

- No storage is allowed within the platform

- The side of the platform must be sealed

- To maintain a minimum 1 metre safety barrier height from top of platform to window sill/parapet.

:jawdrop: so no storage platform is allowed????? :jawdrop::jawdrop:

Like that... :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

:~ :~ :~ :~ :~

Thank you May_dream..... Our dream shattered. Now look for a new solution.

But one question: if the "no storage within the platform" is correct, then all of those ppl who installed storage platform in their Room have breached hdb rule??? :jawdrop:

omg..is there a typo? $900 per meter is freaking expensive. at that price, it should last u a lifetime! :)

normal kitchen cabinets can last a good 10yrs if done by a proper carpenter. But most of the time, its the user who needs to maintain it properly.

eh, i think the ping pong table is quite useless to be brutally honest... money can be spent in better places. No offense ya. :)

Looking forward to your reno, :)

Hahaha... :P hi gimz63251073, no typo.. N now I am so *shy*, feel like my kitchen is too much ha?

Yeah, the ping pong table is for fun. The more we think carefully abt it, the more we know it's not really practical.

But the idea is good, for ppl who live in small space like us to enjoy a bit of sporty game in the house (no Wii pls).

I am not sure but I think only one side have storage against the wall is like cabinet linked to platform? U know what I mean?

Or else, you just do it and hope that hdb don't know loh. Just like driving, red light means stop but some people still drive on. If get caught then get saman. If not, then lucky loh. Hehe....

You may want to set a budget if haven't already done so, and work within it. Then allow for 10-20% cost overrun during the process itself, it will most likely happen. While it is logical to opt for quality fittings, you might want to balance the numbers against the other things you'd have to purchase.

Realistically speaking, you don't need renovation. All you need to do is furnish what you already have, because your flat is new. If on a truly shoestring budget, actually all you need to do is buy some Ikea furniture, lamps from Lightings.com.sg, electricals from any of the large electrical shops and the place would be liveable. While it is true Ikea furniture is built cheap, because it is cheap, it will tide you over for a few years until your finances improve. An added bonus is that you can get a new look with new furniture.

Carpentry costs money (a lot of it). Avoid excessive custom carpentry unless you cannot find furniture that can do the job.

Unique costs money unless you can DIY, as you've already found out. If your workmen are not familiar with a certain design or type of construction, they have to factor in their cost of additional time, concentration, wastage of materials doing it wrong and trying again, etc, which is passed on to you.

Something you may wish to consider for your new place is to make it child friendly, if you haven't already.

Renovation is a process where a few hundred bucks here, a couple of thousand there, adds up to a fearsome amount of money when you tot up the sums.