Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

}[ No Money Still Wanna Do Reno ]{

You may want to set a budget if haven't already done so, and work within it. Then allow for 10-20% cost overrun during the process itself, it will most likely happen. While it is logical to opt for quality fittings, you might want to balance the numbers against the other things you'd have to purchase.

Realistically speaking, you don't need renovation. All you need to do is furnish what you already have, because your flat is new. If on a truly shoestring budget, actually all you need to do is buy some Ikea furniture, lamps from Lightings.com.sg, electricals from any of the large electrical shops and the place would be liveable. While it is true Ikea furniture is built cheap, because it is cheap, it will tide you over for a few years until your finances improve. An added bonus is that you can get a new look with new furniture.

Carpentry costs money (a lot of it). Avoid excessive custom carpentry unless you cannot find furniture that can do the job.

Unique costs money unless you can DIY, as you've already found out. If your workmen are not familiar with a certain design or type of construction, they have to factor in their cost of additional time, concentration, wastage of materials doing it wrong and trying again, etc, which is passed on to you.

Something you may wish to consider for your new place is to make it child friendly, if you haven't already.

Renovation is a process where a few hundred bucks here, a couple of thousand there, adds up to a fearsome amount of money when you tot up the sums.

Yah better set a budget + 20%-30% max overrun. My flat also on a budget haha! i didn't do a lot of carpentry except kitchen and wardrobes can save a leg or 2 lol. goodluck!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

After many times my Safari crashed, I hate to type a long post again.

Summary of what I have written but being erased: thank you all for good advice, we a kiasu couple have thought of a budget amount (yes, with 20% overrun) and die die will not let it burst.

I really hate hdb as they r not good to keep their words. Their motto "a home ready and affordable for everyone" but in the end, ppl with a new premium flat still gotta fork out at least $15k -20k to make it livable.

Anyway, I know it's truly weird to have "no money" as part of the thread title yet so many expensive items on our wished list. :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

My hubby said it is totally fine if we want something nice, as long as we look at our pocket before we purchase it. Oh, and we actually only spend much on kitchen, as we already have existing furnitures to fill in other rooms.

Edited by piknik

I agreed.... not all reno will have overrun. mine was within my initial budget set out, just that i told my contractor my budget was less.... so that he will not charge me too much. And any additional that i wanted, my contractor was willing to provide FOC for me. So, reno can be within budget if you set the right budget for the right items you wanted.

But as HDB ruling is, do take note that HDB have a lot of rules so you better get yourself familarised... like the platform thingy....

Hi May, have told by Andrew that although there is a guideline for platform in hdb flat, we still can go ahead with our platform thing. He said he did many high platform like that already. :dribble:

Hi May, have told by Andrew that although there is a guideline for platform in hdb flat, we still can go ahead with our platform thing. He said he did many high platform like that already. :dribble:

KPO here a bit... its almost like everyone speeds on the road. U can do, but don't get caught. Cos when u get caught, u cannot use "everyone also do" as mitigation. As the person selling it, he will surely convince u that its ok, but if later HDB ask u to take down, will he bear the cost? of course not mah...

:) i think its not a huge error to do it.. but then again im not hdb officer... haha i sound so contradictory...

Andrew so contradicting!! last time i wanted higher, he says cannot cos HDB don't allow. now he told you that it can be done!! Next time i see him, i must scold him already.... hehehe....

So, are you going to choose Andrew? i thought you still thinking and deciding?

is this punggol breeze? i am also from there, and got it at sales of balance flat too.. but our layout slightly different.. my bomb shelter different place..

which block is this?

KPO here a bit... its almost like everyone speeds on the road. U can do, but don't get caught. Cos when u get caught, u cannot use "everyone also do" as mitigation. As the person selling it, he will surely convince u that its ok, but if later HDB ask u to take down, will he bear the cost? of course not mah...

:) i think its not a huge error to do it.. but then again im not hdb officer... haha i sound so contradictory...

I agree that it's not a huge error, as long as I have all my safety measure in check. Hubby said at least the platform is removable so if one fine day we are asked to remove it, it is an easy task.. Hahaha...

Andrew so contradicting!! last time i wanted higher, he says cannot cos HDB don't allow. now he told you that it can be done!! Next time i see him, i must scold him already.... hehehe....

So, are you going to choose Andrew? i thought you still thinking and deciding?

Only hubby met Andrew so far n he was late for more than one hour. He sent us the quotation one day late and he got my hubby's name wrong. And Andrew cant speak comfortably in English n we prefer English. So, Until now we still Look around. I like him for he was the only id we met so far mentioned the hdb guide lines regarding platform installation.

is this punggol breeze? i am also from there, and got it at sales of balance flat too.. but our layout slightly different.. my bomb shelter different place..

which block is this?

Hi lamaray, yes we are t breeze. Blk 618C. :) nice to see you here.

If u want someone that can speak English well then no choice loh. He is who he is.... Cannot really speak English well. There are tons of contractors / IDs so u can slowly look.

If u want someone that can speak English well then no choice loh. He is who he is.... Cannot really speak English well. There are tons of contractors / IDs so u can slowly look.

It would not be a problem if my hubby takes care of the renovation. But it will be me whose Chinese sucks, so... Haiz.... Or maybe I just try to get my Chinese better... Hahaha.

Thank you again for introducing Andrew to us.

Edited by piknik

It would not be a problem if my hubby takes care of the renovation. But it will be me whose Chinese sucks, so... Haiz.... Or maybe I just try to get my Chinese better... Hahaha.

Thank you again for introducing Andrew to us.

hahahaha.... it doesn't matter if your chinese is bad cos there will be ID that have good english. then will be easy for you to talk to them. very important to be able to communicate what you want.

its just small thing.... give number only mah. how difficult can that be?

Happy Chinese New Year!!! :yamseng:

We visited our flat last week for the first time. Surprised by how small it is.. :jawdrop: n the kitchen is a big headache. Haiz... :bangwall:

Happy New Year piknik! Ur 2D and 3D layout drawings looks great! Finding the right ID is impt..... I realise most of the IDs I found are mainly Chinese speakers... They don't usually speak good English. I tried to communicate with them in mandarin most of the time. When I use English, I think my ID only understood 40 to 50%.

Happy New Year piknik! Ur 2D and 3D layout drawings looks great! Finding the right ID is impt..... I realise most of the IDs I found are mainly Chinese speakers... They don't usually speak good English. I tried to communicate with them in mandarin most of the time. When I use English, I think my ID only understood 40 to 50%.

Thank you, potatoes for your comment. My hubby is very happy, he did those 2d-3d layouts.

Mid night, I am supposed to sleep but I can't.... Can't decide which kitchen counter top for my kitchen. I have read abt all the pros n cons of solid surface, granite and quartz.. The only thing makes me prefer solid surface top still is becos it doesn't show the joined line and it can have an acrylic molded sink so the look is seamless n totally non-leakage.